How Jon Stewart turned lies into comedy and brainwashed a generation

This is some weak tea. I know that Jon Stewart bugged some folks on the right. But trying to argue that satire and journalism are the same thing and held to the same standards is one of the stupidest arguments I've heard in recent memory.

he presents news satirically but that is still journalism. What he is doing to giving the news and an editorial at the same time with a comedy lean.

No it isn't. Nor would it be held to the same standards as actual journalism....the other bullshit premise of your silly article.

Your foundational assumption is wrong. Laughably, comically wrong. Which is appropriate, given that we're talking about a comedian.

[

That's what Jon Stewart does. You might as well accuse the Onion or Saturday Night Live of bad journalism. Republicans may not be able to tell the difference between Satire and journalism. But everyone else can.

I believe it's you liberals that have claimed that Jon Stewart to be the BEST NEWS PERSON on TV.

This is some weak tea. I know that Jon Stewart bugged some folks on the right. But trying to argue that satire and journalism are the same thing and held to the same standards is one of the stupidest arguments I've heard in recent memory.

he presents news satirically but that is still journalism. What he is doing to giving the news and an editorial at the same time with a comedy lean.

He is MAKING FUN OF THE NEWS AND POLITICIANS. Jesus, I can't believe you people don't know him AT ALL. How many of his shows have you seen?

I guess you stupid idiots think the editors at Charlie Hebdo were liars, too.

You righties have NO ONE except Dennis Miller, a self-described alcoholic drug abuser. Hey, Rush went to rehab, too. And in my mind I think of Rush as an entertainer, nothing more.

[

That's what Jon Stewart does. You might as well accuse the Onion or Saturday Night Live of bad journalism. Republicans may not be able to tell the difference between Satire and journalism. But everyone else can.

I believe it's you liberals that have claimed that Jon Stewart to be the BEST NEWS PERSON on TV.

Jon Stewart is a comedian and satirist. Your entire silly argument breaks on this lone point.

He is MAKING FUN OF THE NEWS AND POLITICIANS. Jesus, I can't believe you people don't know him AT ALL. How many of his shows have you seen?

Oh, they get that. They've just foolishly shackled themselves to an article they didn't read before posting it or agreeing with it. The premise that satire is journalism is laughably bullshit. The idea that satire is jouralism that is held to the same standard as all other journalism is brain dead idiocy.

And I think even the conservatives here recognize that. But they've already committed to such a useless argument that they kind of have keep polishing a turd. Lest they have to admit that they've just got a pile of shit in their hands.

Oh, they get that. They've just foolishly shackled themselves to an article they didn't read before posting it or agreeing with it. The premise that satire is journalism is laughably bullshit. The idea that satire is jouralism that is held to the same standard as all other journalism is brain dead idiocy.

And I think even the conservatives here recognize that. But they've already committed to such a useless argument that they kind of have keep polishing a turd. Lest they have to admit that they've just got a pile of shit in their hands.
The idea that the typical American of the Daily Show Generation can tell the difference is laughable.

Hell, most of them still can't even get a decent job.

I'm neither happy or sad to see Stewart go I never thought he was as relevant or important as a lot of people did and still do. If people took him serious as a news source I would say that says more about them then him.

Republicans don't have a sense of humor, either.
Let's not overdo it shall we.
I have a sense of humor.

I snicker at lib idiocy frequently.

The idea that one political party or ideology is unable to have a sense of humor is just silly. My best friend is a Republican and she one of the funniest people I've ever known.

A better way to put it is that it's much harder to sell conservative ideology as humor than it is to do the same with liberal ideology.

I'm sorry to see Jon Stewart walk away. Half the time spent watching the show he was driving me bonkers with the views he was presenting. But I accept that people have views different than mine, and once you accept that it's easy to admire his skill at creating a humorous commentary on the current events of our nation and world.

My favorite example from recent time was his rant about the Ferguson riots, and his line about global warming. I absolutely disagree with his position on global warming, and I disagree with the over racialization of the Ferguson issue, but his point remained valid all the same, and juxtaposing the two was brilliant humor.

The idea that the typical American of the Daily Show Generation can tell the difference is laughable.

Says who? Show us your evidence that the average american can't tell that the Daily Show is satire.

I'm neither happy or sad to see Stewart go I never thought he was as relevant or important as a lot of people did and still do. If people took him serious as a news source I would say that says more about them then him.
I think I paid him more attention in this thread than in his entire career.

I found him instantly to be a repulsive asshole.

I don't voluntarily subject myself to repulsive assholes.

Says who? Show us your evidence that the average american can't tell that the Daily Show is satire.
I didn't say the average American could not tell the difference.

I said the average American of the Daily Show generation.

You know, the fuckers flippin' burgers and living in mommy's basement.

Okay. Can you back up either of those claims with evidence?

As it seems you've abandoned the steaming rhetorical turds of the OP articles primary arguments 1) That satire is journalism. 2) That its held to the same standard as actual journalism.

Neither of which is true.

Too bad for the left wing, wonder where they will now get their news.

How Jon Stewart turned lies into comedy and brainwashed a generation New York Post

So Brian Williams goes out (for six months) humiliated and derided. Jon Stewart goes out (permanently, one hopes) the same day, but on a giant Comedy Homecoming King float, with a 21-gun salute from the media, his path strewn with roses and teardrops.

Why?

Brian Williams lied about his personal exploits a few times. Jon Stewart was unabashedly and habitually dishonest.

John Stewart isn't a journalist. Ending the entire premise of the article.

He just plays one on TV.

He plays a satirical journalist on TV. You know that Dennis Miller during Weekend Update wasn't *really* giving an update of the week's news, right? Same with Jimmy Fallon and Amy Poehler. They're doing a bit.

If you didn't get that, consider this your wake up call.

Thinly veiled satire, tbh. It's nowhere close to the satirical level of Weekend Update.

Jon Stewart is far too intelligent and sophisticated for NaziCons. They like their news straight out of the Fox News toilet.

Jon is a satirist. Republicans don't have a satirist. They have angry fat radio hosts and angry Faux News anchors that try to pass off lies and opinion as fact. Stop being butthurt that nobody on the right is funny.

And I'm sure you'll hate the guy that replaces Stewart just as much. :thup:

Rush uses satire in ways that wipes the floor with Stewart.
Libs don't get that... They think he actually believes everything he says lol

Okay. Can you back up either of those claims with evidence?

As it seems you've abandoned the steaming rhetorical turds of the OP articles primary arguments 1) That satire is journalism. 2) That its held to the same standard as actual journalism.

Neither of which is true.
I never said I agreed with the OP on point one or two.

But your lack of reading comprehension skills confirms my opinion that the Daily Show Generation is compose of dimwits.

Forum List

Back