How is Latino or Hispanic a ethnicity and how is non-hispanic a ethnicity?

The US census specifies the lable hispanic and non-hispanic are not races, but ethnicities. Can someone explain how they are ethnicities even?
This is a question I can not answer, Mortimer. Using the old cliche (and I normally avoid cliches, sorry), "It is what it is" IS about the only answer I can give you. It's good to see you on these threads, I hope you're doing well and staying safe there in Austria.

The US census specifies the lable hispanic and non-hispanic are not races, but ethnicities. Can someone explain how they are ethnicities even?

Latinos have always considered themselves "The Race" or "la raza", and really not honkies.

The tremendous Latino athlete Eddie Guerrero explains.

Latinos are white and native mix, coming from Central and South America. “Hispanic” is really just a fancy way of saying “native Spanish speaker”. Although I’m not sure if Brazilians would still qualify as Hispanic. It’s all very dumb.

They aren't . Jesus 40, years ago nobody spoke Spanish or equated with Spaniards..but NOW? Its a thing. I am proud to say I NEVER bought into that. I AM NOT Mexican or Hispanic, so sue me.

Chambers Dictionary:
ethnic adj 1 relating to or having a common race or cultural tradition • an ethnic group. 2 associated with or resembling an exotic, especially non-European, racial or tribal group • ethnic clothes. 3 seen from the point of view of race, rather than nationality • ethnic Asians. 4 between or involving different racial groups • ethnic violence. noun, especially US a member of a particular racial group or cult, especially a minority one. ethnically adverb. ethnicity noun (ethnicities) racial status or distinctiveness.
ETYMOLOGY: 14c as noun and 15c as adj meaning 'heathen': from Greek ethnos nation.

Last edited:
Latinos are white and native mix, coming from Central and South America. “Hispanic” is really just a fancy way of saying “native Spanish speaker”. Although I’m not sure if Brazilians would still qualify as Hispanic. It’s all very dumb.
I thought they spoke Portugese.

Chambers Dictionary again:
Hispanic adj relating to or deriving from Spain, the Spanish or other Spanish-speaking countries or peoples. noun, N Amer, especially US a Spanish-speaking American of Latin-American descent.
ETYMOLOGY: 16c: from Latin Hispania Spain.

Chambers again. We might as well have agreed meanings for words to help avoid confusion.

Latino and Latina noun (Latinos or Latinas) a man or woman respectively, usually a N American, who is of Latin American descent.

This is the confusion about ethnicity/race. Remember that Spanish-speaking Europeans came to the Americas, which were already populated by indigenous peoples speaking different languages, and spread their European language around. The short, black-haired people whose skin is a bit darker than Europeans and who speak Spanish are descendants of indigenous peoples, not Europeans. Christopher Columbus was an Italian whose voyages were financed by the royalty of Spain. Spanish is a European language.

I look forward to the day when these things do not matter.

Hmmm...Rice might be in a position to have good knowledge about that proposition.

Rice has spoken about racism as America’s “birth defect” before. In 2011, she told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that even though the U.S. has “gotten to a place [where] race is not the limiting factor that it once was ... we’re never going to erase race as a factor in American life.”
"It is a birth defect with which this country was born out of slavery; we're never really going to be race blind," she said at the time.

Hmmm...Rice might be in a position to have good knowledge about that proposition.

Rice has spoken about racism as America’s “birth defect” before. In 2011, she told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that even though the U.S. has “gotten to a place [where] race is not the limiting factor that it once was ... we’re never going to erase race as a factor in American life.”
"It is a birth defect with which this country was born out of slavery; we're never really going to be race blind," she said at the time.
I hope that she is not right, but I fear that she is. There is such a dichotomy between the belief that every fertilized egg must by born, according to the Supreme Being, and the lack of acceptance of this person once the fertilized egg becomes a person, who manifests the DNA provided by the parents. A black woman is born according to the wishes of the Creator, or not?

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
Well I'm not a creationist so I can't speak from personal knowledge, but from what I've seen that appears to be the case...

Well I'm not a creationist so I can't speak from personal knowledge, but from what I've seen that appears to be the case...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You don't know how much I needed the laugh!
What gets to me is all of those, including those posters on USMB, who think this way and then don't seem to realize that every kid who results needs to be fed, watched, bathed, sheltered, educated, and cuddled. They have no plans after the birth. When asked about this, they just refuse to take any responsibility. Oh, don't get me started!

But what a tremendous production number. It reminds me of Mel Brooks and the Inquisition and the Esther Williams swimming nuns. Thanks again!

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
... 40, years ago nobody spoke Spanish ...

That’s not true. It has been proven to you many times that is not true. Why do you keep repeating a lie over and over again?

They aren't . Jesus 40, years ago nobody spoke Spanish or equated with Spaniards..but NOW? Its a thing. I am proud to say I NEVER bought into that. I AM NOT Mexican or Hispanic, so sue me.

I don't think you're right. Some people did speak Spanish back in the day. But the difference was that the Spanish language wasn't glorified at all, no more than the other foreign languages. I remember watching reruns of I Love Lucy and trying to learn a little Spanish, but it wasn't seen as special or better than English.

Further, Rickie Ricardo was treated as an ordinary Honky, not as a member of any special racial designation like he would be today. Lucy wasn't considered to be in an "interracial marriage"

I don't think you're right. Some people did speak Spanish back in the day. But the difference was that the Spanish language wasn't glorified at all, no more than the other foreign languages. I remember watching reruns of I Love Lucy and trying to learn a little Spanish, but it wasn't seen as special or better than English.

Further, Rickie Ricardo was treated as an ordinary Honky, not as a member of any special racial designation like he would be today. Lucy wasn't considered to be in an "interracial marriage"
Well said. Culture preference, language preference wasn't an issue until the late 2000's. Now it's anything goes, sex is a mere suggestion, facts are open to debate. Legal immigration is just a mere nuisance. Hispanic or Latino is a lingual thing, not a ethnic identity . Not that it matters much to liberals, they like to corrupt everything with this "diversity" bullshit.

Last edited:

...Spanish, but it wasn't seen as special or better than English.
It isn’t today either.

New Topics

Forum List

Back