How Iranian Women Are Protesting Against Their Country's Strict Dress Code

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I can imagine how these women feel. Here in the West, they are free to choose what they want to ear, and Iranian women have such style.

By Dorian Geiger

July 3, 2016
the-iranian-women-fighting-state-censorship-one-selfie-at-a-time-body-image-1467409245-size_1000.jpg

A photo of an anonymous user on My Stealthy Freedom via

This article originally appeared on VICE US

Iran is home to perhaps the most strictly enforced dress code in the world. In the capital, Tehran, thousands of Gashte Ershad, or morality police—both in uniform and plainclothes—patrol the streets, looking for men with flashy jewelry or certain haircuts and women in form-fitting clothes or loose hijabs, which are required by law to be worn at all times.

According to Amnesty International, between March 2013 and March 2014, upwards of2.9 million women received a police warning for dress code infractions. This May, a woman was evenarrested for posting a photo of herself without a hijab to Instagram. And Tehran is cracking down further, deploying 7,000 new officers last month to keep an eye out for insufficiently pious outfits.

"As a woman, every time I venture out into the streets, I am constantly pre-occupied by how I should dress," said Neda, a 32-year-old Iranian woman who spoke to VICE under the condition of anonymity. "Should I be wearing this tight-fitting coat? Is my coat too short? Am I likely to be arrested because of what I am going to wear?"

Continue reading at:

How Iranian Women Are Protesting Against Their Country's Strict Dress Code | VICE | United Kingdom

I can imagine how these women feel. Here in the West, they are free to choose what they want to ear, and Iranian women have such style.

By Dorian Geiger

July 3, 2016
the-iranian-women-fighting-state-censorship-one-selfie-at-a-time-body-image-1467409245-size_1000.jpg

A photo of an anonymous user on My Stealthy Freedom via

This article originally appeared on VICE US

Iran is home to perhaps the most strictly enforced dress code in the world. In the capital, Tehran, thousands of Gashte Ershad, or morality police—both in uniform and plainclothes—patrol the streets, looking for men with flashy jewelry or certain haircuts and women in form-fitting clothes or loose hijabs, which are required by law to be worn at all times.

According to Amnesty International, between March 2013 and March 2014, upwards of2.9 million women received a police warning for dress code infractions. This May, a woman was evenarrested for posting a photo of herself without a hijab to Instagram. And Tehran is cracking down further, deploying 7,000 new officers last month to keep an eye out for insufficiently pious outfits.

"As a woman, every time I venture out into the streets, I am constantly pre-occupied by how I should dress," said Neda, a 32-year-old Iranian woman who spoke to VICE under the condition of anonymity. "Should I be wearing this tight-fitting coat? Is my coat too short? Am I likely to be arrested because of what I am going to wear?"

Continue reading at:

How Iranian Women Are Protesting Against Their Country's Strict Dress Code | VICE | United Kingdom

Shame. Iranian women are very stylish.

Meanwhile, Gov Abbot in Texas is trying to pass a dress code law for women.

Forum List

Back