How I Convert Somebody Versus How Most Christians I Know Convert Somebody

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Since I am currently doing that right now with somebody or attempting to this is what I NEVER do:

1. Tell them they're going to Hell.
2. Try to force Christ down their throat.
3. Point out every little thing about them that's bad (or what I believe is bad about them) and tell them they're a lost sinner or whatever.

Now, before I get into what I do instead, let me explain why I never do these things going down the list.

1. I never tell them they're going to Hell because one; it's not my business to as it's not my job to judge anyone regardless of what they believe or what they have done. There's only one judge and that's God. Sure I might have thoughts and opinions about somebody, but I keep it to myself. The second reason why I do not do this is because I don't believe in scare tactics. I believe we should not focus on what will happen to them if they don't come to Christ, we should focus on what will happen to them if they do.

2. I never try and force my beliefs down anybody else's throat because since Jesus doesn't try and force Himself on anybody, so why should I try to force Him on somebody else when He wants His followers to come to Him willingly?

3. Number three should be fairly obvious at this point because of what I said in number one. I'm not the judge so I'm not here to pull them apart for every little thing and instead of telling them that they're a sinner and they're damned to Hell if they do not repent, I tell them that God loves them and He doesn't want that to happen so that's why He made a way through Jesus Christ.

Now, here's a few more things. When I'm talking to an unbeliever, I always ask their permission if I can start telling them about Jesus instead of just telling them things that they don't want to hear as there's no point to an unwilling heart. Second of all, I get to try and find out the main cause of why they're an unbeliever. That is, if they feel comfortable telling me about it. Is it because they're just angry and resentful at God? Is it because they have wrong ideas about Him? Or is it because they just simply have doubts.

I have let them know that I have been in all three situations so nothing they tell me will surprise me. If it turns out that they are angry and resentful towards Him, then I tell them they're really not an unbeliever because they can't be angry at something that doesn't exist and then I try to help them out through whatever it is. If they have the wrong ideas about God that He's angry at them, He's counting their sins, and that they should be afraid of them I tell them that He is not angry at them or counting their sins because Jesus died on the cross for them as an act of unconditional and undying love.

If they tell me that they just have disbelief I tell them yeah, I've been there too and I still go through it sometimes,.. but is it easier for them to believe that everything came out of nothing, or that something created everything and see what they say. Now, if all of every tactic I have tried fails then I know that I will just have to pray for them to have a change of heart as I can only do so much.

My point here though is that I came to Christ in my adulthood because the majority of my childhood was making me fear God, brainwashing me into believing that He was angry at me, and forcing all of this stuff down my throat making me believe I was saved when in reality I was just doing it because I was told to, not because I wanted to. So, the next time you try telling somebody oh you're going to Hell if you're an unbeliever, please think about what I said as there are better ways to do this. I know because I've helped people find Christ this way. There's both a right way and a wrong way to evangelize and forcing them to agree with you and believe in God even if it's your own child is not the right way to do this as it does way more harm than good. Somebody should come to Christ because they want to, not because they feel like they have to or they do it out of fear.

I appreciate that you are taking a “kinder” approach to trying to convert someone to your religion, because I was caught in the cross-hairs of an Evangelical Christian who would not take a polite “no thank you” as an answer. I was told repeatedly, at EVERY encounter, that I would be damned to hell…..that G-d is angry at the Jewish people….that the only way to Heaven was through “the son,” and so forth. The more I resisted, the more belligerent he became, and it was psychologically damaging to be on the receiving end of such a heated rampage, for months on end.

That said, why is it appropriate to consider that only those who follow your religion have a way to G-d, and thus you try to get people to abandon their religion? It’s actually quite offensive (and, as you must know, very rarely successful). In Judaism, for example, Jews and non-Jews alike can get to Heaven, because there is more than one way to honor and please G-d. You don’t have to be Jewish.

It’s almost my bedtime, but perhaps tomorrow I’ll start a related thread on whether proselytizing is appropriate in the first place. It could make for an interesting discussion.

Last edited:
Convert some of your fellow evangelical holier than thou jackasses to that philosophy, leave the political crap at home, and maybe some people will come back to church.

You can't convert anyone, only God can. You can lead.

True, good point.

That said, why is it appropriate to consider that only those who follow your religion have a way to G-d, and thus you try to get people to abandon their religion? It’s actually quite offensive (and, as you must know, very rarely successful). In Judaism, for example, Jews and non-Jews alike can get to Heaven, because there is more than one way to honor and please G-d. You don’t have to be Jewish.

That's a really good point as I wasn't really speaking of people abandoning other religions, I was talking about people who don't believe in God at all. However, Christianity is the only faith that I know that gives people a second chance when they've really screwed up their life because it's the only one that talks about the sacrifice that Jesus gave when He died on the cross for us. So that's why I really want people to find out what a great gift we have been given through that. That all being said, it doesn't mean that I believe non-Christians are damned to Hell because of His sacrifice on the cross, I just believe that through Christ we're saved either way.

Nobody can do a number 3 on someone unless they know them well....even then why would you.

I agree, but you would be surprised to see how many Christians go with that "holier and better than thou" attitude.

Also, just in case anybody is wondering, at this point the person I was speaking with doesn't wish to discuss this any further so I am honoring his wishes and just praying for him instead. He's just been through a rough time through life and needs a little time to think about all of this,.. but at least I sowed the seeds and gave him the ability to think about it and he was listening to me somewhat. :)

FJB

It’s not true that Christianity is the only religion that gives people second chances when they’ve screwed up their lives. In Judaism, for example, there is the annual Day of Atonement (perhaps better known as Yom Kippur) in which we ask G-d to forgive our sins against Him, and if we are heartfelt and vow to do better, we are forgiven.

One thing I’ll add with that: G-d can only forgive the wrongs we have done against Him. If we have hurt or created difficulties for another person, we must seek forgiveness from the person we have wronged, not G-d.

FJB

It’s not true that Christianity is the only religion that gives people second chances when they’ve screwed up their lives. In Judaism, for example, there is the annual Day of Atonement (perhaps better known as Yom Kippur) in which we ask G-d to forgive our sins against Him, and if we are heartfelt and vow to do better, we are forgiven.

Oh. I stand corrected then.

FJB

One thing I’ll add with that: G-d can only forgive the wrongs we have done against Him. If we have hurt or created difficulties for another person, we must seek forgiveness from the person we have wronged, not G-d.
The 7 annual Sabbaths all point to Yeshua and God's plan of Redemption for Mankind.

There is no forgiveness of sin (the penalty is eternal DEATH) without Christ's sacrifice as the Lamb of God -- exemplified in the Passoverif you observe these Sabbaths (as ALL MANKIND SHOULD) the Jews should have recognized the Messiah when he came the first time

Convert some of your fellow evangelical holier than thou jackasses to that philosophy, leave the political crap at home, and maybe some people will come back to church.
Christians arent citizens and don't have the same rights as you?

Since I am currently doing that right now with somebody or attempting to this is what I NEVER do:

1. Tell them they're going to Hell.
2. Try to force Christ down their throat.
3. Point out every little thing about them that's bad (or what I believe is bad about them) and tell them they're a lost sinner or whatever.

Now, before I get into what I do instead, let me explain why I never do these things going down the list.

1. I never tell them they're going to Hell because one; it's not my business to as it's not my job to judge anyone regardless of what they believe or what they have done. There's only one judge and that's God. Sure I might have thoughts and opinions about somebody, but I keep it to myself. The second reason why I do not do this is because I don't believe in scare tactics. I believe we should not focus on what will happen to them if they don't come to Christ, we should focus on what will happen to them if they do.

2. I never try and force my beliefs down anybody else's throat because since Jesus doesn't try and force Himself on anybody, so why should I try to force Him on somebody else when He wants His followers to come to Him willingly?

3. Number three should be fairly obvious at this point because of what I said in number one. I'm not the judge so I'm not here to pull them apart for every little thing and instead of telling them that they're a sinner and they're damned to Hell if they do not repent, I tell them that God loves them and He doesn't want that to happen so that's why He made a way through Jesus Christ.

Now, here's a few more things. When I'm talking to an unbeliever, I always ask their permission if I can start telling them about Jesus instead of just telling them things that they don't want to hear as there's no point to an unwilling heart. Second of all, I get to try and find out the main cause of why they're an unbeliever. That is, if they feel comfortable telling me about it. Is it because they're just angry and resentful at God? Is it because they have wrong ideas about Him? Or is it because they just simply have doubts.

I have let them know that I have been in all three situations so nothing they tell me will surprise me. If it turns out that they are angry and resentful towards Him, then I tell them they're really not an unbeliever because they can't be angry at something that doesn't exist and then I try to help them out through whatever it is. If they have the wrong ideas about God that He's angry at them, He's counting their sins, and that they should be afraid of them I tell them that He is not angry at them or counting their sins because Jesus died on the cross for them as an act of unconditional and undying love.

If they tell me that they just have disbelief I tell them yeah, I've been there too and I still go through it sometimes,.. but is it easier for them to believe that everything came out of nothing, or that something created everything and see what they say. Now, if all of every tactic I have tried fails then I know that I will just have to pray for them to have a change of heart as I can only do so much.

My point here though is that I came to Christ in my adulthood because the majority of my childhood was making me fear God, brainwashing me into believing that He was angry at me, and forcing all of this stuff down my throat making me believe I was saved when in reality I was just doing it because I was told to, not because I wanted to. So, the next time you try telling somebody oh you're going to Hell if you're an unbeliever, please think about what I said as there are better ways to do this. I know because I've helped people find Christ this way. There's both a right way and a wrong way to evangelize and forcing them to agree with you and believe in God even if it's your own child is not the right way to do this as it does way more harm than good. Somebody should come to Christ because they want to, not because they feel like they have to or they do it out of fear.
Trust in God, FJB. He gave mankind freewill. Not everyone uses it well.

Forum List

Back