How far would you take this "Right to Vote" thing?

Negative. Voting should always be officially encouraged. If you have a large number of discouraged voters in your district any politician who actually believes in democracy should make sure it's not not them doing the discouraging.
An American citizen who doesn't care to vote should not count. We used to teach American patriotism in elementary schools. How old are you anyway?
Old enough to have grown up in Alabama during the last days of Jim Crow. There are a thousand ways to discourage voting. If your candidate is counting on people staying home on election day it's only one small step to actively discouraging them.

Old enough to have grown up in Alabama during the last days of Jim Crow. There are a thousand ways to discourage voting. If your candidate is counting on people staying home on election day it's only one small step to actively discouraging them.
Stop living in the past and using racism to support your political view. No one said any candidate is counting on folks to stay home. You sound like a racist.

You ever look at those literacy tests? Every question had two answers to insure that the tester could readily disqualify anyone who took them. There was no way to pass them if they didn't want you voting in first place.
Yes, I have taken literacy tests multiple times in elementary, junior high, high school, college and even in my business. I have to be literate to make a good living because I need to understand others. I have to be literate to be able to read a ballot and to read about who I am voting for.
Literacy tests for voting were not real literacy tests. It seems you are either ignorant of their actual use or ignoring their racist purpose.

Stop living in the past and using racism to support your political view. No one said any candidate is counting on folks to stay home. You sound like a racist.
I sound like someone who has heard your kind before.

Leftists excoriate Republicans for placing obstacles in front of prospective voters - you know, picture ID, register early, show up on Election Day, and stuff like that. They call it "vote suppression."

But let's look at a test case. Imagine that the Governor of California sought to guarantee the voting rights of the state's homeless population. So he proposes a program whereby "volunteers" could canvas the State's homeless encampments on Election Day, ascertain the names and (claimed) citizenship status of the people encamped there, create a deemed address and voting district for these unfortunates, register them to vote, assist them in filling out their ballots, and count those votes.

After all, they are mainly citizens, right, and all citizens are entitled to vote!

I have postulated in this and other forums that if someone is too stupid, incompetent, uninvolved, and/or careless that they can't do the basic stuff that has historically been required to vote, then maybe they shouldn't be voting. Their votes are less worthy than mine, and I resent being cancelled out by such invariably-Democrat votes.

But for the Lefties who may be reading this, how about the program described above? Would you support such an initiative?

Why or why not?
Actually you pretty much described what happened in California. The only part you left out was Smokes for Votes. Democrats were in the homeless camps trading cigarettes for signed ballots.

Leftists excoriate Republicans for placing obstacles in front of prospective voters - you know, picture ID, register early, show up on Election Day, and stuff like that. They call it "vote suppression."

But let's look at a test case. Imagine that the Governor of California sought to guarantee the voting rights of the state's homeless population. So he proposes a program whereby "volunteers" could canvas the State's homeless encampments on Election Day, ascertain the names and (claimed) citizenship status of the people encamped there, create a deemed address and voting district for these unfortunates, register them to vote, assist them in filling out their ballots, and count those votes.

After all, they are mainly citizens, right, and all citizens are entitled to vote!

I have postulated in this and other forums that if someone is too stupid, incompetent, uninvolved, and/or careless that they can't do the basic stuff that has historically been required to vote, then maybe they shouldn't be voting. Their votes are less worthy than mine, and I resent being cancelled out by such invariably-Democrat votes.

But for the Lefties who may be reading this, how about the program described above? Would you support such an initiative?

Why or why not?

I would be satisfied with one American Citizen gets one verifiable ballot that counts as one vote for each position or measure in question.

There is no intelligence requirement as far as your Right to Vote.
There is no other Constitutionally Protected Right that I want to grant the Federal Government the Power to start deciding whether or not someone deserves that Right.

I'm not going to make an exception in this case just because it may better suit my desires ... :thup:

Literacy tests for voting were not real literacy tests. It seems you are either ignorant of their actual use or ignoring their racist purpose.
How are literacy tests 'racist?' You seem to see everything through racist eyes so explain that to us.

My kind is the kind that recognizes racism when I see it.
Yes, "your kind" is racist. Thanks for supporting that. You seem to always point out skin color.
Voter suppression has a long racist history. If there is a non-racist case for making voting more difficult the right is doing an exceptionally lousy job making it. All your excuses sound like excuses.

How are literacy tests 'racist?' You seem to see everything through racist eyes so explain that to us.
People who are not willfully ignorant of history know what the voter literacy tests were and how they were used. Not my job to educate you. You seem to be relatively literate but you would not pass the Jim Crow literacy test if the tester did not want you to vote but that is not something any white man ever had to worry about.

People who are not willfully ignorant of history know what the voter literacy tests were and how they were used. Not my job to educate you. You seem to be relatively literate but you would not pass the Jim Crow literacy test if the tester did not want you to vote but that is not something any white man ever had to worry about.
You are living in the past and using that to make your point. You are sadly outdated.

Voter suppression has a long racist history. If there is a non-racist case for making voting more difficult the right is doing an exceptionally lousy job making it. All your excuses sound like excuses.
Yes, voter suppression by fake vote counts suppressed the conservative-Trump vote count. Spare me the MSM fairytales about Biden winning please. You are nothing but a Democrat-Marxist tool, everyone knows it you know.

Forum List

Back