How does the devil prove that he is god and god is nothing?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
By torturing you until you sell your mother. That is how the devil proves to you that he is god and god is ... well either nothing or the devil. Discuss.

By torturing you until you sell your mother. That is how the devil proves to you that he is god and god is ... well either nothing or the devil. Discuss.

He doesn't torture you until you sell your mother. Where do you get such nonsense?

I come from a family of atheist, so I look at this a bit differently. God is goodness and love. He is the ideal in every situation. The tempter (i.e., Prosecutor, Demon on the shoulder, the portion of self willing to settle for "good enough" or what brings pleasure). Next, I do not see our ancestors as savage idiots, but as keen observers with wise reasoning.

The account of the Tower of Babel fascinates me. The tower represents trying to get above God, who told the people who spread out. The people thought they were better off close together so they built a great city, a city so great that people of all languages flocked to it, so much so they no longer understood one another. Destruction overwhelmed the city.

Which of today's cities emulate Babel of old? As in the time of Babel, how many settled for the easier option (of a city) rather spreading out? How many of our cities show signs of disintegration?

The last chapters of Genesis all discuss sexuality in its many forms, all pointing to the reality that undisciplined societies with undisciplined sexual mores are in danger of crumbling and being conquered by more disciplined realms. Again, settling for what is good enough, or what is more pleasurable, over settling for the ideal.

God points to the ideal. Always. Whether it is our own consciences or a tempter, something leads us into settling for "good enough" or pursuing the more pleasurable.

I am not sure I agree with your assertion that the devil is trying to prove he is God and God is nothing.

There are varying opinions of what the job description of the devil actually is. Some believe the devil is an angel who works for God testing mankind by tempting mankind. Others believe the devil is a fallen angel. And some don't believe the devil exists at all.

Why do you believe the devil is trying to prove he is God and God is nothing? Surely, he more than anyone would know that the best way to distance man from God would not be to argue that he was God or that God didn't exist. The best way for the devil to distance man from God would be to encourage man to not accept accountability for his actions; to blame others for their mistakes or to deny they made a mistake at all. After all that's the original sin.

I come from a family of atheist, so I look at this a bit differently. God is goodness and love. He is the ideal in every situation. The tempter (i.e., Prosecutor, Demon on the shoulder, the portion of self willing to settle for "good enough" or what brings pleasure). Next, I do not see our ancestors as savage idiots, but as keen observers with wise reasoning.

The account of the Tower of Babel fascinates me. The tower represents trying to get above God, who told the people who spread out. The people thought they were better off close together so they built a great city, a city so great that people of all languages flocked to it, so much so they no longer understood one another. Destruction overwhelmed the city.

Which of today's cities emulate Babel of old? As in the time of Babel, how many settled for the easier option (of a city) rather spreading out? How many of our cities show signs of disintegration?

The last chapters of Genesis all discuss sexuality in its many forms, all pointing to the reality that undisciplined societies with undisciplined sexual mores are in danger of crumbling and being conquered by more disciplined realms. Again, settling for what is good enough, or what is more pleasurable, over settling for the ideal.

God points to the ideal. Always. Whether it is our own consciences or a tempter, something leads us into settling for "good enough" or pursuing the more pleasurable.

You know there were and are still ziggurats and towers allover the ME.

The tower of Babel story is about the collapse of a civilization into illiteracy.

The people who come to live in the USA should learn English and whoever goes somewhere else to live should learn the language of the country.

Forum List

Back