How do you think about Germany?

Chef85

Rookie
Oct 28, 2006
Hi,
my name is Christian, I`m from Germany. My English is very bad, so I hope you still understand me.
Why I'm writing to you? So my classmate had a student exchange with a dumb in Ohio. He said, the most people think Germany is really backward, and all Germans wearing leather pants.
I could not him that believe, so I want to ask you what you think about Germany.

Greetings from Germany

Christian

PS: When you find some mistakes, so please correctly me

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Don't wear those leather pants.....It shows your package.......... too much..:eek:

:halo:

Hi,
my name is Christian, I`m from Germany. My English is very bad, so I hope you still understand me.
Why I'm writing to you? So my classmate had a student exchange with a dumb in Ohio. He said, the most people think Germany is really backward, and all Germans wearing leather pants.
I could not him that believe, so I want to ask you what you think about Germany.

Greetings from Germany

Christian

Welcome Christian!

Ok, well I think we can all read what you are trying to say, but I'll try to correct this one post:

Greetings from Germany

My name is Christian, I`m from Germany. My English is very bad, so I hope you still understand me.
Why I'm writing to you? My classmate had a student exchange with a dumb person in Ohio. He said, the most people think Germany is really backward, and all Germans wearing leather pants.
I could not believe that he could believe that, so I want to ask you what you think about Germany?

Christian

PS: If you find some mistakes, so please correct them.

Now for the reply, while it's impossible to generalize what 'all Americans' think of 'all Germans' I'll respond as for my own opinion. For the most part I'd say the Germans by and large are a hard working people, orderly, and many have a tendency towards superiority, though the last may be more a function of Europeans in general.

I'd say that while many of us thought Germans had changed since the 1950's, our perceptions have been altered by the German leadership and academics of the last 15 years, especially since 9/11. I think few Europeans actually understand how deeply the US perception of that continent have changed. IMHO I think the change will be long lasting, really little can be done about it, though I'm certain it could get worse.

9/11 seems to have made many Americans lose the legacy of 'listening to criticism from that continent and considering how we could learn & change.' I think that we've gotten past that and no longer will be so quick to think they actually have much constructive to offer, since they have no leadership for positive ideas just a rehash of appeasement, with a generous helping of dhimmitude thrown into the mix.

Tell me, how did Germans react to the pulling of a drama to kowtow to the immams?

Welcome Christian!

Ok, well I think we can all read what you are trying to say, but I'll try to correct this one post:

Greetings from Germany

My name is Christian, I`m from Germany. My English is very bad, so I hope you still understand me.
Why I'm writing to you? My classmate had a student exchange with a dumb person in Ohio. He said, the most people think Germany is really backward, and all Germans wearing leather pants.
I could not believe that he could believe that, so I want to ask you what you think about Germany?

Christian

PS: If you find some mistakes, so please correct them.

Now for the reply, while it's impossible to generalize what 'all Americans' think of 'all Germans' I'll respond as for my own opinion. For the most part I'd say the Germans by and large are a hard working people, orderly, and many have a tendency towards superiority, though the last may be more a function of Europeans in general.

I'd say that while many of us thought Germans had changed since the 1950's, our perceptions have been altered by the German leadership and academics of the last 15 years, especially since 9/11. I think few Europeans actually understand how deeply the US perception of that continent have changed. IMHO I think the change will be long lasting, really little can be done about it, though I'm certain it could get worse.

9/11 seems to have made many Americans lose the legacy of 'listening to criticism from that continent and considering how we could learn & change.' I think that we've gotten past that and no longer will be so quick to think they actually have much constructive to offer, since they have no leadership for positive ideas just a rehash of appeasement, with a generous helping of dhimmitude thrown into the mix.

Tell me, how did Germans react to the pulling of a drama to kowtow to the immams?

Alright.....Now I'm off to bed.....Cause I couldn't figure all THAT OUT......
Welcome Christian......See ya later.....:beer:

Wow Kat....how you figured all that out...........:D

Hi Christian. As Kathianne implies, the person from Ohio does not represent what Americans think of Germany. Actually, most Americans never think of Germany at all. However, over the years that Schroeder was German PM, relations with the US deteriorated. Now with new PM Merkel, relations have a chance to improve. Some Americans think that the Germans have not been very helpful to America in the War on Terror, especially given the fact that it was the Hamburg cell of terrorists that helped plan the killing of so many Americans on 911. We realize they were not ethnic Germans, but it was Hamburg that was home to much of the planning. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2349195.stm Do most Americans think about this? No. Many Americas do realize, however, that Germany has offered America almost no help in the struggle against terrorists in Iraq. We realize that the media in Germany is often hostile to the United States. This makes Americans unhappy, especially since the US defended West Germany against the communists in the Soviet Union for more than 40 years. America spent billions of dollars defending Germans and Western Europe and it does not seem that most Germans remember that. Many Americans believe that we should stop spending money on the defense of Germany and close US military bases there. America wonders why Germany bothered to recently send its NATO troops to fight the Taliban in Afghanistan, when the German Government will not allow the troops to be deployed in southern Afghanistan where the fighting is located.

I studied for a few months in Munchen and Germany is a very beautiful country, especially southern Germany. Americans hope that US-German relations can continue to improve under PM Merkel. Come back and tell us about what Germans think about America.

Hey, CHristian! Nice to see you on this board! First, I want to tell you... ALL us in Ohio ain't dumb. I believe that them Germans is real smart & fashinable people in them leather pants. I live near Cincinati, and ever year we have Oktoberfest which is lots of fun with all the beer and saurkraut and chicken dancing. Anyway, my great-grandpa came over from Germany, early part a 1900s, and my whole family is real smart people, so I think Germans is real smart people, and maybe them leather pants HELPS make them smart.

(Christian... this is a JOKE! :D )

In reality, probably half of my ancestors were German. From what I have seen of these people, the common elements seem to be hard work, drive to succeed, logic and practicality, and adherence to rules and structure. I do not perceive Germans to be backward or uneducated. And I have never heard of the stereotypical leather pants. 'Corse that may be because I'm a dumb from Ohio. ;)

Hi,

Greetings from Germany

Christian

I watched the world cup, and they showed some of the German countryside, beautiful, you should be proud. Personnally I've never thought of Germany or the people as backwards (Ohio on the other hand, I hate driving through that state).

Indiana has a large German population and until the second WW many of the road names were German in my area. German Fest is a huge party in my city every year.

My husband and I actually would like to plan a vacation there in the next couple of years. I have heard that a lot of Germans don't like Americans and can be rude. True??

Hi,

Greetings from Germany

Christian

Heh...leute im Amerika denk' das alle Deutschers sind rueckwerts. Warum? Weiss ich das nicht. Wir haben das nicht gelernt. Und entschuldigung fuer mein Deutsch, Ich bin nicht so gut mit Deutsch.

Thanks a lot for your replys and for the correctly my text, I think my teacher has a lot to do with me in future :-D
I must correctly myself, I used the wrong word for dumb, I meant a small village, not a silly person.

Don't wear those leather pants.....It shows your package.......... too much..
Is it not still sexy? damn.. ;-):-D

I hope I understood it right:
You think the good times are over? And there is no big cooperation with the US and Europe in future?

What means kowtow? Sorry, but I don't understand the last sentence.

so I think Germans is real smart people, and maybe them leather pants HELPS make them smart.
*lol*

I watched the world cup, and they showed some of the German countryside, beautiful, you should be proud
Oh thanks, but national pride is in Germany after the 2.WW proscribed. The normaly German doesn't celebrate the national holiday. We never sing the national anthem (the most Germans doesn't know the hole anthem), and the national flag are only on Federal Governments.

I have heard that a lot of Germans don't like Americans and can be rude. True??/
It's very difficult to say. I come from Ulm (Neu-Ulm it`s over the Danube river), there was till 1990/1991 a big US-Base (Pershing II and nuclear warheads).
The people was all the time against the nuclear warheads and had (how does it calls when you get on the streets with many other peoples? We call it "demonstieren"). But the German people had a good friendship to the US soldiers. They had made a lots of parties together and had a lot of fun.
The city was very safe.
As the soldiers gone, come many many foreigners from the old USSR (isn`t it ironic?) and many other countries I don`t know and live now there in the old base. Since the city is not any longer safe, and the old base are very dangerous at night.
What I want to say is I think that in West-Germany the most people like the US, how the people in East-Germany are think, I don`t know.
In the time after 9/11 some people put some candles and flowers at the main-entrance at the old base, we all was very shocked.
But the most Germans hates Bush, we're thinking he is a very bad President. He is doing a bad foreign policy. We liked Clinton very much, I think he was the best President at last time.
Germany got a lot of foreigner, and many are from islamic countries and they hates Germany and the US.
And we don`t trust us to kick them from our country because we had a bad foretime. I know, we're stupid in this way, in Switzerland they kick them, when they are criminally and let they never in whose country.

In our basics law stands written, that we use the army only for defends. So many Germans got a problem with internationl missions before all without a UN-Resolution.
The most Germans is against the war in Iraq. It was begun under wrong arguments. Bush said that Saddam got some biology and chemical weapons, until today none were found.

Germany can engage itself also not much for the fight against the terror, since the enemy is located here in the own rows.

So, I have writing here about 2 hours. I have to do today still some.
But I announce myself tomorrow again.

Bye :)

PS:Kagom, you german isn't very bad, at least better than my english ;-)

I have heard that a lot of Germans don't like Americans and can be rude. True??/
It's very difficult to say. I come from Ulm (Neu-Ulm it`s over the Danube river), there was till 1990/1991 a big US-Base (Pershing II and nuclear warheads).
The people was all the time against the nuclear warheads and had (how does it calls when you get on the streets with many other peoples? We call it "demonstieren"). But the German people had a good friendship to the US soldiers. They had made a lots of parties together and had a lot of fun.
The city was very safe.
As the soldiers gone, come many many foreigners from the old USSR (isn`t it ironic?) and many other countries I don`t know and live now there in the old base. Since the city is not any longer safe, and the old base are very dangerous at night.
What I want to say is I think that in West-Germany the most people like the US, how the people in East-Germany are think, I don`t know.
In the time after 9/11 some people put some candles and flowers at the main-entrance at the old base, we all was very shocked.
But the most Germans hates Bush, we're thinking he is a very bad President. He is doing a bad foreign policy. We liked Clinton very much, I think he was the best President at last time.
Germany got a lot of foreigner, and many are from islamic countries and they hates Germany and the US.
And we don`t trust us to kick them from our country because we had a bad foretime. I know, we're stupid in this way, in Switzerland they kick them, when they are criminally and let they never in whose country.

In our basics law stands written, that we use the army only for defends. So many Germans got a problem with internationl missions before all without a UN-Resolution.
The most Germans is against the war in Iraq. It was begun under wrong arguments. Bush said that Saddam got some biology and chemical weapons, until today none were found.

Germany can engage itself also not much for the fight against the terror, since the enemy is located here in the own rows.

So, I have writing here about 2 hours. I have to do today still some.
But I announce myself tomorrow again.

Bye :)

PS:Kagom, you german isn't very bad, at least better than my english ;-)

Actually your English isn't bad at all.

I would say most Euopeans don't like Bush, my sister is one of them.
He has made some mistakes Iraq, in my opinion, being one of them.

I hope I understood it right:
You think the good times are over? And there is no big cooperation with the US and Europe in future?

What means kowtow? Sorry, but I don't understand the last sentence.
Not sure what you mean by 'good times'? I meant the US is no longer buying European criticisms about 'ugly American tourists' or our being 'naive'. in actuality, most of us recognize European dhimmitude and appeasement for what it is, the first time.

As for the last sentence:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...lam&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=firefox-a

I'm sorry that I writting so late, I had a lot to do last time.

I'm averse against the Mozart Theater, I think it`s misplaced.
I find it is very interesting, the theater is only because the islamics discharged. But there is the head from Jesus Christ too, and no one interested on.

Many Germans are against the islamic terror but we don`t know how we to antagonize him. But we think it's maybe the wrong way, when Bush like Hitler to march in any countries.
I think the war in iraq wasn't needfully, but maybe a war in iran could be...

Greetings from Germany
Christian

I'm sorry that I writting so late, I had a lot to do last time.

I'm averse against the Mozart Theater, I think it`s misplaced.
I find it is very interesting, the theater is only because the islamics discharged. But there is the head from Jesus Christ too, and no one interested on.

Many Germans are against the islamic terror but we don`t know how we to antagonize him. But we think it's maybe the wrong way, when Bush like Hitler to march in any countries.
I think the war in iraq wasn't needfully, but maybe a war in iran could be...

Greetings from Germany
Christian

Gee, do you think it's possible that some of the German thinking of Bush=Hitler could be a result of bias in YOUR media?

http://medienkritik.typepad.com/blog/2006/10/sueddeutsche.html

Interestingly enough, US press doesn't cover stories like this:

http://medienkritik.typepad.com/blog/2006/10/germanys_abu_gh.html

Maybe some Germans suggest whose opinion from the medias...

Why the US don`t report over the skull scandal? Right, nobody does interessting in US. In Germany interessting nobody on it other than the Gouverment, because they afraid of that we again be called bad nazis.

It`s geeky I know...

Forum List

Back