How do you teach abstinence?

liberalogic

Jan 15, 2006
NJ
I was just curious as to how we go about teaching abstinence in school? Other than don't do it because of pregnancy and STDs, what else is there to constitute an educational program based on this ideal? I'm just looking for suggestions if anyone has something to offer.

liberalogic said:
I was just curious as to how we go about teaching abstinence in school? Other than don't do it because of pregnancy and STDs, what else is there to constitute an educational program based on this ideal? I'm just looking for suggestions if anyone has something to offer.

I don't think you can teach abstinance in public schools. The left sees that as cramming religion down someones' throat and we all know religion is a bad thing.:rolleyes:

liberalogic said:

After the physical side of the sex ed, I'd start with the self-esteem of girls. Many girls engage in sex before marriage as a way to get the attention & love they are missing from their fathers.

Teach both boys and girls how to respect one another by not engaging in sex. Teach the emotional consequences of sex.

manu1959 said:
i would imagine the same way that other moral choices are taught....

To abstain from sex isn't just a moral choice - it's a choice to help ensure a kid's mental and physical health.

dmp said:
To abstain from sex isn't just a moral choice - it's a choice to help ensure a kid's mental and physical health.

murder?

robbery?

cheating?

lying?

all will have an effect on a kid's mental and physical health.

i did not practice abstinance.....there was no adverse effect on my mental and physical health.

but that was not the discussions.....how to teach it was the question....

manu1959 said:
murder?

robbery?

cheating?

lying?

all will have an effect on a kid's mental and physical health.

i did not practice abstinance.....there was no adverse effect on my mental and physical health.

but that was not the discussions.....how to teach it was the question....

No adverse effect you recognize; probably not.

If Liberals will allow it, I would teach them the physical and emotional factors behind thier sex drive, alternative measures to approach these factors and ALL the consequences of sex. (not just STDs or pregnancy).

Then as Mr. P says---they choose.

dmp said:
No adverse effect you recognize; probably not.

well i didn't get any stds....nobody got pregnant.....i have two healthy kids....i have had one wife for ten years and no side excursions.....and for the really good part i didn't marry the girl that hated sex....so yea no adverse effects

Abstinence cannot be taught.

It can be accepted, as by the very few
who are inclined toward monasticism.

It can be enforced, as by chaperones.

But since there are so few chaperones,
etc., banging is going to go on.

The sexual revolution is over, and sex won,
even for many who claim to be pious.

Make that most who claim to be pious.

Deal with it, oh ye horny masses.

5stringJeff said:
Teach everything about STDs, to include graphic pictures of infected areas. That should be a great warning for many teens.
It is no warning at all.

Teens, and apparently adults as well do not think it will happen
to them, and in most cases they are right.

You don't wait until school. Parents teach their kids things from the minute they are born. As they get older, parents teach their kids about telling the truth, about respect, about cleaning up their toys, about eating their brocolli (well, some kids learned that), etc.

Once they get a little older, it's about getting dressed by themselves, doing their homework, etc.

There is no reason to wait. From the time you teach them about he birds and the bees, you can teach them about making the right choices; and having sex is one of those choices.

GotZoom said:
You don't wait until school. Parents teach their kids things from the minute they are born. As they get older, parents teach their kids about telling the truth, about respect, about cleaning up their toys, about eating their brocolli (well, some kids learned that), etc.

Once they get a little older, it's about getting dressed by themselves, doing their homework, etc.

There is no reason to wait. From the time you teach them about he birds and the bees, you can teach them about making the right choices; and having sex is one of those choices.

Agreed--you can't teach anyone who doesn't already have some amount of respect for those that try to teach them anything. When they are in school with the attitude "go ahead--I dare you to teach me anything" it's already too late.

GotZoom said:

I have to agree with GZ. It starts when they're babies, by the parents. All you can do then , as they get older, is pray that what you taught them, about sex, taking a stand on principles, not being bullied, those sorts of things, that they will be armed with enough info to make a rational decision, based on facts, not desire in the heat of the moment.

I don't usually watch daytime TV, but I was near one the other day while Mm was in the studio. Tyra Banks was on. She had a panel of about 15 teens on that were discussing sex. Most of them, as well as their schoolmates, go to 'Flyer' parties strictly to engage in sex; oral sex is not sex; and there only 2 virgins among the fifteen. There were alot of sad & shocked parents backstage that day.

so, the consensus here looks like, to me, that you CANNOT teach abstinence.

Yet, this administration has poured in tax dollars HAND OVER FIST, for abstinence education.

:dunno:

cgd75 said:
so, the consensus here looks like, to me, that you CANNOT teach abstinence.

Yet, this administration has poured in tax dollars HAND OVER FIST, for abstinence education.

:dunno:
The administration has advocated teaching abstinence, as has the Congress. I find no funding, ie, another unfunded mandate. You have links for the tax dollars pouring in?

Forum List

Back