How Do You Measure Racism?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Are you a racist? Are any of your family or friends?

How do you decide?

If you are surrounded by people filled to the brim with racial hatred for some other group(s) of people and yet you manage to remain mainly neutral, are you racist? Or not?

If you are surrounded by people who seem full of love for all mankind and yet you entertain bad thoughts about some other group(s) of people, are you racist? What if you (believe) your bad thoughts never become actions?

What if you hate on a group of people whom you have never seen and likely never will? Are you racist? If no one else knows you have these feelings, are you still racist?

If you hate on people who have all died a long time ago, are you racist?

If you hate on people who have injured you and yours and folks who seem to you likely to be just as guilty, are you racist?

If you hate on the descendants of folks whose ancestors injured your ancestors, are you racist? What if the injury was only one generation ago? Are you racist?

5 generations?

50?

What if you aren't sure what happened, but you reasonably suspect that your ancestors were injured by the ancestors of some group of folks? If you hate on them, are you racist? If you have bad thoughts about their ancestors but not the living (so much) are you racist?

Is anyone hating on you? Someone you see face to face? How do you know? Is that hate racist? How do you know?

Last edited:
Are you a racist? Are any of your family or friends?

How do you decide?

If you are surrounded by people filled to the brim with racial hatred for some other group(s) of people and yet you manage to remain mainly neutral, are you racist? Or not?

If you are surrounded by people who seem full of love for all mankind and yet you entertain bad thoughts about some other group(s) of people, are you racist? What if you (believe) your bad thoughts never become actions?

What if you hate on a group of people whom you have never seen and likely never will? Are you racist? If no one else knows you have these feelings, are you still racist?

If you hate on people who have all died a long time ago, are you racist?

If you hate on people who have injured you and yours and folks who seem to you likely to be just as guilty, are you racist?

If you hate on the descendants of folks whose ancestors injured your ancestors, are you racist? What if the injury was only one generation ago? Are you racist?

5 generations?

50?

What if you aren't sure what happened, but you reasonably suspect that your ancestors were injured by the ancestors of some group of folks? If you hate on them, are you racist? If you have bad thoughts about their ancestors but not the living (so much) are you racist?

Is anyone hating on you? Someone you see face to face? How do you know? Is that hate racist? How do you know?

HI, M.

I just suffered through the long dialogue between you and JB and now you start this. You seem consumed by race relations, which is not a bad thing in itself, but I was just wondering why.

We all can only see the world from the postion we occupy and i was wondering what brought you to your position.

im a racist, albeit not a real bad one. people who know me would disagree, perhaps, but i think that race consciousness in the US is a given, and i fit that basic criterion. i figure that its best that i acknowledge my reflexes and consciously override them as needed, than to take for granted that the american brand of race-neutrality is really race-neutral.

I'm not a racist, but I hate Negroes, Mexicans and White People because of their skin color.

Because of that control freak, Gunny, and his damned rep 'rules', I must spread mine.

Although, I have always preferred to think of them as 'guidelines'.

Heres a way to test yourself and see if you are racist.

If you feel that America will be harmed by the current trend of the browning of America, you are a racist.

If you think every time a brown, black or yellow person talks of racial discrimination they are "playing the race card", you are a racist.

If you think racial profiling for crime is fine, you are a racist.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's. My parents are the WWII generation. Pearl Harbor happened when they were youths and it affected them for their whole life. They hate Japs but would never be unkind to them if they met them. They use the term ****** (infrequently but still . . .) only in the house or amongst themselves but would never be unkind to a black person. They can't describe a Jewish lawyer without saying 'Jew lawyer' but would never be unkind to a Jewish person. They definitely stereoptype people. Yeah, to me they are racists . . . and they are also some of the kindest people I've ever known. My dad used to call my mom a St. Bernard dog (no not cause she looks like one lol) because she was always helping people however she could. My aunts (my mother's sisters) are the same way when it comes to race . . .my one aunt (and her late husband) really worse because they weren't as discreet about their racial slurs. I'll give you three guesses how they feel about Obama and being a leftist Dem isn't one of the choices.

When my oldest was about two my parents were over one time and we were all watching Seasame Street. Julie only ever liked the parts where real kids were on, the rest was boring to her. So they had a snip on with kids singing and playing with a dog or something. I'm enthralled to be watching Julie's big blue eyes pop wide open as she watches the kids on the screen. While my parents were also enjoying this their first comment was 'Oh look a politically correct show. You have a black kid, a Jew, an Indian and a white kid'. Damn it, why'd they have to go and ruin it for me? The last thing I ever would have done is notice the 'mix' of kids.

I don't know what makes people racist or think that one race is better or worse than another race. I don't pay much attention to skin color I pay attention to behavior and attitude. If someone treats me with disrespect, gives me attitude, or treats me like an asshole then they will get the same from me, regardless of their race. If they treat me as a human beings should treat each other they will get treated likewise from me.

Being a racist does not make you a monster, it makes you someone who holds false ideas that can mess with your fellow mans rights.

It means that person can not make a fair judgement about others.

Code1211 wrote:

HI, M.

I just suffered through the long dialogue between you and JB and now you start this. You seem consumed by race relations, which is not a bad thing in itself, but I was just wondering why.

We all can only see the world from the postion we occupy and i was wondering what brought you to your position.

You suffered through that entire thing? That WAS painful -- for everyone! Damn that JB, LOL.

I have twice asked questions that are more or less philosophical. Race relations hardly "consume" me, but it interests me, especially on this sort of basic level.

I don't have a "position", Code. I am sensing a sea change in myself and in the world around me. 21st Century Cleveland is very (very, very, very) different from 1950's and 1960's NY a la race and racism.

I guess if I have anything, its a wish more than a POV. I have always wished for an end to racism. And now, with science declaring race is nonexistant, it seems maybe that is possible. Might not cut back on hatred. That's a human failing that will likely always be with us.

But it'd be nice to see folks hating on one another for some other reason, even if it were equally irrational.

Hope that helped some. If this all taxes you too much, feel free not to go on with it. I won't be at all wounded...we all have to prioritize our time. And if JB shows up and starts that crap again, I'll be right behind you. Was alot like a convo with a lunatic who has a great vocabulary, LMAO!

He'd probably say the same about me, he he he.

Last edited:
Rev Wright is a racist and so is Obama "White Folks greed runs a world in need"

Who is Rev. Wright?

Why do you see Obama as a racist, hating on whites? (Not anyone else? No Asians, Latinos, Native people, etc.?) Are you forgetting his mom was white? He must hate himself then too? That would have to be confusing. Obama doesn't strike me as a man burdened with ridiculous neurosises, but we all see him a little differently I guess.

How is this in any way responsive to my Op? Not that I object to hijacking. Hijack all you want. But if you go back and read, the Op asks questions OF you ABOUT you.

A list of every known human who has a racist thought or deed to their name seems rather pointless to me. Who wouldn't be on such a list?

im a racist, albeit not a real bad one. people who know me would disagree, perhaps, but i think that race consciousness in the US is a given, and i fit that basic criterion. i figure that its best that i acknowledge my reflexes and consciously override them as needed, than to take for granted that the american brand of race-neutrality is really race-neutral.

How are you "race conscious" antagon? When I look at a stranger I first see (I think) age and gender. Young males are threatening, or could be. Old men and women of any age, not so much. But yeah, a nano-second later, I try and figure out what racial box to slide them into. It used to be much easier it seems. Sometimes now I am not really sure. I can't remember that happening to me when I was a high school kid.

I'm afraid of strangers who seem to be a different race than me. Old men, little kids and most women, not much -- a little anxiety, but not a lot. But young males of a "different race"? O yeah. I'm a walk-to-the-other-side-of-the-street woman, and I admit it. But does that make me a racist? Because I can assure you, what I feel sure seems like real fear.

(I am afraid of some strangers who seem racially the same as me too...depends on the circumstances.)

I am sure some strangers have noticed I seem scared, and some have been hurt by this. But I am not acting out of hate, and I don't feel terribly guilty about this. Older ladies, especially when alone, are known to be a little bit scaredy-cat. I think I have earned the right to be a tad fussy about protecting myself.

Rev Wright is a racist and so is Obama "White Folks greed runs a world in need"

Who is Rev. Wright?

Why do you see Obama as a racist, hating on whites? (Not anyone else? No Asians, Latinos, Native people, etc.?) Are you forgetting his mom was white? He must hate himself then too? That would have to be confusing. Obama doesn't strike me as a man burdened with ridiculous neurosises, but we all see him a little differently I guess.

How is this in any way responsive to my Op? Not that I object to hijacking. Hijack all you want. But if you go back and read, the Op asks questions OF you ABOUT you.

A list of every known human who has a racist thought or deed to their name seems rather pointless to me. Who wouldn't be on such a list?

Who is Rev Wright? Is that a joke?

Heres a way to test yourself and see if you are racist.

If you feel that America will be harmed by the current trend of the browning of America, you are a racist.

If you think every time a brown, black or yellow person talks of racial discrimination they are "playing the race card", you are a racist.

If you think racial profiling for crime is fine, you are a racist.

I think America will be altered by the "browning". (What a word -- ugh.) Harmed? No.

Every time? No. Michael Jackson, O J Simpson...definately. Race cards exist and they get played...sometimes by whites.

Racial profiling is really, really, really hard. Because I want Homeland Security to x-ray every inch of any airline passenger who looks even remotely Middle Eastern and is over age 6. I'm scared. I guess I'm a racist who thinks she has a good enough excuse.

Forum List

Back