How do you cook your steaks?

In todays market 'grass-fed' vs grain-finished (I use 'finished' because the majority of all US beef cattle are raised on forage/grasses for the majority of their lives) is a personal choice. If it makes someone 'feel' better to eat strictly 'grass-fed' beef then that's fine...but to support that industry there is much exaggeration/misinformation going around. USDA inspectors work hard to make sure certain standards are maintained in feed lots and processing plants. Sick animals are not profitable...neither are sick customers. There is legitimate debate over the use of antibiotics - mostly concerning the use of those also used by humans. Even strictly forage/pasture/hay raised cattle may be introduced to antibiotics. The Feds addressed some of that with new regulations.

We've raised our own cattle, our own hogs - and I don't hesitate to purchase beef or pork from my local chain grocer.

Anyone truly concerned about inhumane treatment of cattle probably shouldn't eat beef. Anyone concerned about big processors might want to find out why so many small, individual processors have been regulated out of existence. Anyone truly concerned about the decline of the American farmer might want to examine their views regarding inheritance taxes too.
Fortunately steers are ugly and stupid so I do not feel guilty about eating their meat.

Lambs on the other hand make me feel guilty so I only eat lamb once each year on Holy Thursday of Easter Week. This is in emulation of Jesus himself, together with drinking red wine, and with unleavened cakes, and the bitter herbs. Also date nuts. I'm sure they had date nuts for dessert. Date nuts are great for fiber and taste good too.

Once the world gets closer to the Malthusian population of 10 billion people then grain won't be available to waste on animal feed.

People will need to be eating all the grain that the Earth produces.

And the little meat that people will be able to afford will all come from chicken farms or fish farms.

What little other meat is available will be grass fed on non-arable land and very expensive.

People will start raising their own rabbits in cages on balconies to eat. It is sad raising an animal and then killing it for food. The animal grows to trust you and "love" you and then you end up betraying it with killing.

Fish are a lot easier to kill because they are not very friendly towards humans and they do not wail when slaughtered.

Supplemental feedings of high quality hay and/or concentrates and/or additives and/or medications do not by themselves detract from the health or happiness of the steer destined for the market...or the quality of the meat...nor does it belie the fact that much of their short lives are spent foraging/pastured. The steers digestive tract is well equipped to handle high quality protein rich hay and grains. The process is to gradually introduce those - otherwise you can get some sick cattle. Not much different with horses or dogs, for that matter. So yes, it is a choice, and the consumer should always be informed. Poorly processed, improperly handled though strictly forage raised beef can be contaminated also...and that strictly forage raised cattle will be just as unhappy when they're made into steers, have ear tags and meet the butcher as any corn-fed beef.

I don't care where you buy your beef, or how much you pay for it - but a lot of folks buy theirs from the grocery store, it's what they can afford - and it is overwhelmingly safe, healthy and nutritious when properly handled and prepared.

As to the CDC chart - I missed the part where grain-finished beef was responsible for the increase in food borne illness.

Fortunately steers are ugly and stupid so I do not feel guilty about eating their meat.

Lambs on the other hand make me feel guilty so I only eat lamb once each year on Holy Thursday of Easter Week. This is in emulation of Jesus himself, together with drinking red wine, and with unleavened cakes, and the bitter herbs. Also date nuts. I'm sure they had date nuts for dessert. Date nuts are great for fiber and taste good too.

Can't say that I've ever had date nuts - but I've had dates - the eating kind, not the awkward kind. I like to fill the dates with p'nut butter and roll in sugar. Yum! Oh wait, does date nut bread count?...it used to come in a can and we'd slice it and slather on some cream cheese. Yum! Yum! I like the red wine part - we just eat stale bread and drink grape juice now and then. What are the bitter herbs?

My daughter raised a lamb for the FFA show and sale. Her sponsor told her it was selected for a breeding program at UF - I told her the truth. Shortly after that Publix had lots of lamb chops in the meat cases.

Can't say that I've ever had date nuts - but I've had dates - the eating kind, not the awkward kind. I like to fill the dates with p'nut butter and roll in sugar. Yum! Oh wait, does date nut bread count?...it used to come in a can and we'd slice it and slather on some cream cheese. Yum! Yum! I like the red wine part - we just eat stale bread and drink grape juice now and then. What are the bitter herbs?

My daughter raised a lamb for the FFA show and sale. Her sponsor told her it was selected for a breeding program at UF - I told her the truth. Shortly after that Publix had lots of lamb chops in the meat cases.
Even rabbits are heartbreaking to kill after you have raised them.

They come running up to you at feeding time and rub against your legs in shows of affection.

The only way I can kill animals is with a high powered rifle from a distance.

It is humane and fast and they are dead before they hit the ground.

Supplemental feedings of high quality hay and/or concentrates and/or additives and/or medications do not by themselves detract from the health or happiness of the steer destined for the market...or the quality of the meat...nor does it belie the fact that much of their short lives are spent foraging/pastured. The steers digestive tract is well equipped to handle high quality protein rich hay and grains. The process is to gradually introduce those - otherwise you can get some sick cattle. Not much different with horses or dogs, for that matter. So yes, it is a choice, and the consumer should always be informed. Poorly processed, improperly handled though strictly forage raised beef can be contaminated also...and that strictly forage raised cattle will be just as unhappy when they're made into steers, have ear tags and meet the butcher as any corn-fed beef.

I don't care where you buy your beef, or how much you pay for it - but a lot of folks buy theirs from the grocery store, it's what they can afford - and it is overwhelmingly safe, healthy and nutritious when properly handled and prepared.

As to the CDC chart - I missed the part where grain-finished beef was responsible for the increase in food borne illness.
Anytime you have animals or plants in high population concentrations you need to take active measures against disease among the plants and animals being raised for the market.

So farming and ranching requires medications and drugs to prevent the catching and spread of disease.

It is a microbial reality.

Microbes thrive in high concentrations of hosts.

This is one of the fundamental truths of Microbiology.

We calls them date-nuts to distinguish them from dates that you goes on dates with in case you gets easily confused and is a moron.

However obviously I has easily confused you the other way.

Ergo no system is foolproof because fools are so ingenious -- as in genius.

:D

We calls them date-nuts to distinguish them from dates that you goes on dates with in case you gets easily confused and is a moron.

However obviously I has easily confused you the other way.

Ergo no system is foolproof because fools are so ingenious -- as in genius.

:D

Well said! ;)

Once the world gets closer to the Malthusian population of 10 billion people then grain won't be available to waste on animal feed.

And the little meat that people will be able to afford will all come from chicken farms or fish farms.

What little other meat is available will be grass fed on non-arable land and very expensive.

People will start raising their own rabbits in cages on balconies to eat. It is sad raising an animal and then killing it for food. The animal grows to trust you and "love" you and then you end up betraying it with killing.

Fish are a lot easier to kill because they are not very friendly towards humans and they do not wail when slaughtered.

Many people now are raising their own rabbits & chickens for meat/eggs. I haven't really done rabbits yet, but remember family members who did. I do keep chickens, mostly for eggs but have butchered as well. It wasn't easy at first and I dragged my feet about doing it, but ultimately that is why I started with chickens in the first place......to provide food for our family. I make sure they get a good life while they are here and they are 'dispatched' as humanely and stress-less as possible. Trust me, my animals have a better life, and even death than any found in the grocery store.

Raising & butchering animals for food has been going on since the beginning so it's not a new thing.

Many people now are raising their own rabbits & chickens for meat/eggs. I haven't really done rabbits yet, but remember family members who did. I do keep chickens, mostly for eggs but have butchered as well. It wasn't easy at first and I dragged my feet about doing it, but ultimately that is why I started with chickens in the first place......to provide food for our family. I make sure they get a good life while they are here and they are 'dispatched' as humanely and stress-less as possible. Trust me, my animals have a better life, and even death than any found in the grocery store.

Raising & butchering animals for food has been going on since the beginning so it's not a new thing.
I think that if you have a lot of animals and you don't become attached to any one of them then the slaughtering and butchering is easier than if you have just a few.

I think that if you have a lot of animals and you don't become attached to any one of them then the slaughtering and butchering is easier than if you have just a few.

My thought is 'if they are destined for the table, don't make them into pets'.

My husband is also of a similar mindset, being a hunter as well. When I had first butchered a chicken and he found out? He's like 'YOU did WHAT????' He can kill, skin, gut & process a deer or elk with ease, but he said he couldn't do the 'hands on' either.:lol:

My thought is 'if they are destined for the table, don't make them into pets'.

My husband is also of a similar mindset, being a hunter as well. When I had first butchered a chicken and he found out? He's like 'YOU did WHAT????' He can kill, skin, gut & process a deer or elk with ease, but he said he couldn't do the 'hands on' either.:lol:

Nor could I.

Killing with a high powered rifle is distant and quick.

By the time you walk up to the animal it has bled out.

But chickens and mammals wail when you slaughter them.

Big difference.

I like a good 1 inch thick T-bone or Porterhouse with nothing but a little black pepper and salt. I cook it on an old cast iron grill at around 500~550 degrees and about 6~7 minutes each side. Perfect!

I'm fortunate enough to live right down the road from a farm that raises grass-fed beef and sells it. I don't like to freeze meat, it seems to change the texture or something. I can always tell if I am eating a steak that was frozen.

I'm funny about steak sauce. Sometimes I don't want any, especially if I have a loaded up baked potato and salad. Other times, I like A1 or Heinz 57... I don't have a favorite. I might even have a dab of both... I'm a renegade.

I don't like marinades for steaks unless they are a poor cut... then, I make my own marinade out of a bottle of beer, apple cider vinegar, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, fresh garlic and some assorted spices. Let the steaks soak for a few hours in the fridge before cooking. I've also used this marinade for tenderloin and ribs. When cooking a Boston Butt, I use this marinade mixture as a baste while cooking. After I finish, I take about a cup of the marinade and combine some ketchup, brown sugar, thyme and red pepper to make a pretty tasty Carolina-style barbecue sauce. My friends say I should sell it.

I like a good 1 inch thick T-bone or Porterhouse with nothing but a little black pepper and salt. I cook it on an old cast iron grill at around 500~550 degrees and about 6~7 minutes each side. Perfect!

I'm fortunate enough to live right down the road from a farm that raises grass-fed beef and sells it. I don't like to freeze meat, it seems to change the texture or something. I can always tell if I am eating a steak that was frozen.

I'm funny about steak sauce. Sometimes I don't want any, especially if I have a loaded up baked potato and salad. Other times, I like A1 or Heinz 57... I don't have a favorite. I might even have a dab of both... I'm a renegade.

I don't like marinades for steaks unless they are a poor cut... then, I make my own marinade out of a bottle of beer, apple cider vinegar, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, fresh garlic and some assorted spices. Let the steaks soak for a few hours in the fridge before cooking. I've also used this marinade for tenderloin and ribs. When cooking a Boston Butt, I use this marinade mixture as a baste while cooking. After I finish, I take about a cup of the marinade and combine some ketchup, brown sugar, thyme and red pepper to make a pretty tasty Carolina-style barbecue sauce. My friends say I should sell it.
Freezing meat is a necessary evil in most cases. When I shoot a 150 lb deer I get about 75 lbs of trimmed meat out of it and it needs to be frozen after aging to preserve it.

Aging takes anywhere from 2 days to a week. Then you freeze it.

Freezing it preserves it for 6 to 9 months without noticeably degrading the flavor.

I always cook meats the same way -- first broiled brown for 10 mins on each side then covered and baked at a lower heat until tender -- so the flavor and texture are always good whether frozen or not.

Freezing meat is a necessary evil in most cases.

Oh, I will certainly eat frozen meat, I'm not a snob! Especially when it comes to steaks. I think I have a pot roast in my freezer now, as a matter of fact. I understand it's sometimes necessary, it's just not my preference. In my case, I am lucky to live close to a source of fresh-cut steaks and I love that.

Sometimes when I am grilling my steaks I can hear the cow still mooing! ;)

Freezing meat is a necessary evil in most cases.

Oh, I will certainly eat frozen meat, I'm not a snob! Especially when it comes to steaks. I think I have a pot roast in my freezer now, as a matter of fact. I understand it's sometimes necessary, it's just not my preference. In my case, I am lucky to live close to a source of fresh-cut steaks and I love that.

Sometimes when I am grilling my steaks I can hear the cow still mooing! ;)
Access to freshly butchered meat is a luxury. And very lucky.

I don't know why people are so frightened of grocery store food. Most people have been eating it their whole lives. :dunno: People like to blame their problems on the food they consume (that there is some government conspiracy or a food industry conspiracy, blah, blah, blah), but actually I think a lot of people just overeat.

Forum List

Back