How do the non-spiritual explain it?

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Setting aside the various criticisms of religious beliefs for a moment, and pretending the whimsical dismissal of God is perfectly 'natural' for man and all... how do the non-spiritualists explain the following....

Astral projection experiences.
Near-death experiences.
Transcendental meditation.
ESP and telepathy.
Ghost stories and paranormal experiences.
Other unexplained supernatural phenomenon.
Spells, curses and black magic.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

Is every single bit of it a bunch of hooey caused by our fears and imagination?

To me, it just seems as if there might be something more here. Especially in the case of people like Edgar Cayce. If you've never studied up on him, it's worth a search and read... fascinating man. His uncanny ability to predict the future was beyond anything we've ever known. He gave over 14k readings but that includes a brief period where he didn't do them because he was getting headaches. People were exploiting his power to win horse races and trade stock and he believed this was why he was getting the headaches. After some time, he did more readings but only his trusted wife was allowed to ask him questions.

Can our physical sciences understand this?

Setting aside the various criticisms of religious beliefs for a moment, and pretending the whimsical dismissal of God is perfectly 'natural' for man and all... how do the non-spiritualists explain the following....

Near-death experiences.
ESP and telepathy.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

To me, it just seems as if there might be something more here. Especially in the case of people like Edgar Cayce. If you've never studied up on him, it's worth a search and read... fascinating man. His uncanny ability to predict the future was beyond anything we've ever known. He gave over 14k readings but that includes a brief period where he didn't do them because he was getting headaches. People were exploiting his power to win horse races and trade stock and he believed this was why he was getting the headaches. After some time, he did more readings but only his trusted wife was allowed to ask him questions.

The short answer is no Boss. The problem is science does not know what consciousness actually is yet, let alone explain higher levels of perception.

Here let's see if I can break it down:

Astral projection experiences - hallucination of the mind
Near-death experiences - hallucination of the mind
Transcendental meditation - just smoke weed. It's easier.
ESP and telepathy - as you put it... "hooey"
Ghost stories and paranormal experiences - also "hooey"
Other unexplained supernatural phenomenon - more hooey
Spells, curses and black magic - a buttload of hooey
Edgar Cayce - see "Miss Cleo"
Nostradamus - hooey
Prophecy in general - hooey

Last edited:
... how do the non-spiritualists explain the following....

Near-death experiences.
ESP and telepathy.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

... Can our physical sciences understand this?

I don't have any idea why a spiritual man or woman should believe in only one of this points. "Near death" is for example only another expression for life and everyone makes life experiences. Every moment could be the last moment. Another example: Telepathy is existing - but in another way. We are all telepaths. I'm reading your thoughts here for example. And so on, and so on. When god created the world nothing was here before. No space - no energy - no time. Nothing. And now his sun shines over everyone of his children.

Nostradamus - hooey

Thanks, Corky... now can we hear from those who still have living brain cells?

I think when someone dismisses the literal millions upon millions of accounts comprising my rather long list, it illustrates a person who has tuned out all rationality and exists in a state of total denial. I'm not claiming there is something to everything, but that much of something has to be significant. It's at the least, reasonable to consider there might be other forces at work.

I think when someone dismisses the literal millions upon millions of accounts comprising my rather long list, it illustrates a person who has tuned out all rationality and exists in a state of total denial.
An appeal to the number of suckers. Well that argument will quash any objections, no worries.

Nostradamus - hooey

Thanks, Corky... now can we hear from those who still have living brain cells?

I think when someone dismisses the literal millions upon millions of accounts comprising my rather long list, it illustrates a person who has tuned out all rationality and exists in a state of total denial. I'm not claiming there is something to everything, but that much of something has to be significant. It's at the least, reasonable to consider there might be other forces at work.
You're like some carnival barker hawking his spirit realms.

Quantum Physics predicts there are as many as 11 dimensions in our universe.

One notable feature of string theory and M-theory is that these theories require extra dimensions of spacetime for their mathematical consistency. In string theory, spacetime is ten-dimensional, while in M-theory it is eleven-dimensional. In order to describe real physical phenomena using these theories, one must therefore imagine scenarios in which these extra dimensions would not be observed in experiments.

*cue Twilight Zone music.​

Near-death experiences.
ESP and telepathy.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

Exorsisms ghosts angels devils and gods don't exist. I'd like to know if that guy ever invited science to come and verify him or before that could happen did he start having headaches?

How do you explain the long island lady who talks to dead people?

How do you explain David copperfield?

Psychology was explaining how unreliable the brain is as far as taking anyones word for what they saw. Brian williams may actually believe his embellished story. So I don't care about stories I or science hasn't verified.

I think when someone dismisses the literal millions upon millions of accounts comprising my rather long list, it illustrates a person who has tuned out all rationality and exists in a state of total denial.
An appeal to the number of suckers. Well that argument will quash any objections, no worries.

So you are on record... Absolutely 0% of all the billions of associated events mentioned in the OP are legitimate? There can absolutely be no other power outside the realm of human imagination... that's what you're saying, correct? I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

Suckers are those who aren't interested in seeking the truth, regardless of where it leads.

So you are on record... Absolutely 0% of all the billions of associated events mentioned in the OP are legitimate? There can absolutely be no other power outside the realm of human imagination... that's what you're saying, correct? I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

Suckers are those who aren't interested in seeking the truth, regardless of where it leads.

Seems like there are no angels devils ghosts or witches. Nothing that can't or hasn't been outside of our physical world.

Does a mosquito trilobite cockroach dinosaur or tardigrade have a soul?

If you don't believe any of the organized religions then we are back to the original debate how did all this happen. After long thought you decided it must be a creator that cares about you and only you. Not dogs tigers whales or elephant?

Were just extremely lucky to be this smart but we aren't that smart yet. Still too uneducated and superstitious.

We need to save ourselves from ourselves. And this planet and our sun doesn't care what we are doing or what you believe. Neither does a god talk back to you.

I've been talking a lot of shit about god lately. I dropped my new phone today and it didn't break. If a god was upset with me it would have broke.

Near-death experiences.
ESP and telepathy.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

Exorsisms ghosts angels devils and gods don't exist. I'd like to know if that guy ever invited science to come and verify him or before that could happen did he start having headaches?

Psychology was explaining how unreliable the brain is as far as taking anyones word for what they saw. Brian williams may actually believe his embellished story. So I don't care about stories I or science hasn't verified.

Well Cayce is a little different from the lady who talks to dead people, I think. David Copperfield is an illusionist. He makes things seemingly disappear, but this is not some physics power he has, he is presenting an illusion. With Cayce, the guy literally predicted WWII in extraordinary detail, twenty years before it happened. This was at a time where WWI was called "The Great War" and virtually everyone thought there would never be another war.

There are other people in history as well... Ever hear of Mayhayley Lancaster? Murder in Coweta County? ....Strange powers some people seem to have.

Seems like there are no angels devils ghosts or witches. Nothing that can't or hasn't been outside of our physical world.

"...one must therefore imagine scenarios in which these extra dimensions would not be observed in experiments." ~Quantum Physics

Near-death experiences.
ESP and telepathy.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

Well Cayce is a little different from the lady who talks to dead people, I think. David Copperfield is an illusionist. He makes things seemingly disappear, but this is not some physics power he has, he is presenting an illusion. With Cayce, the guy literally predicted WWII in extraordinary detail, twenty years before it happened. This was at a time where WWI was called "The Great War" and virtually everyone thought there would never be another war.

There are other people in history as well... Ever hear of Mayhayley Lancaster? Murder in Coweta County? ....Strange powers some people seem to have.

I don't know that David Blane isn't really doing magic. I can't explain everything he does. But I'm sure its not supernatural power. Sorry I don't believe other peoples encounters with the supernatural. There is always a better explanation including the power of suggestion.

I remember as a child the news anchor on TV talked to me. Today I know that was a dream. I woke up and was half dreaming when I looked at him. In fact it was bill bonds in the late 70s or early 80s.

Then I see a guy like Brian williams and scientists in the Detroit news today were trying to explain how it might not be a lie if Brian williams believes it and that does happen. A person recalls a real story but embellishes until the myth becomes a belief.

Then I see a guy like Brian williams and scientists in the Detroit news today were trying to explain how it might not be a lie if Brian williams believes it and that does happen. A person recalls a real story but embellishes until the myth becomes a belief.

In psychology we call this "Psychopathic behavior." ;)

Last edited:
I have a hard time understanding how a head can hold so many memories. I've watched entire tv shows with the tv off by mind power alone.

There are a lot of things I can't explain, like microwave ovens, that doesn't make them magic.

In psychology we call this "sociopathic behavior." ;)

I'm guilty of this myself. I have some great fight stories. Even I don't know anymore when my friends embellish the stories. Did I really throw that guy that far? Probably not.

I don't know that David Blane isn't really doing magic. I can't explain everything he does. But I'm sure its not supernatural power. Sorry I don't believe other peoples encounters with the supernatural. There is always a better explanation including the power of suggestion.

None of them? In all the assorted areas I mentioned in the OP and all the billions of accounts... not a single one has any validity or legitimacy? 0% possibility... absolutely certain? I can be rational enough to think that 100% couldn't be valid and legitimate, but certainly some must be.

It just fascinates me to talk to people who have built such a parameter of denial in their minds.

Near-death experiences.
ESP and telepathy.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

The human mind is uniquely prone to delusion.

It still exists because those who were unwilling to pretend that the emperor had clothes were usually put to death in one terroristic manner or another.

Forum List

Back