CDZ How did we get here. (op ed)

I had a discussion with the manager of this restaurant about my two experiences. The cook was there too. Both of them understood what I meant by wanting to see the wait staff look and act normal. But the manager acted like he was bound by some law to agree with me.
I guess it's gotten to the point that you can't even discuss how people look or dress. And I'm thinking dress codes in the work place are completely gone now a days.
In my mind what’s important when going to any public place is the cleanliness of the establishment and clean workers. It matters little to me what color somebody’s hair is as long as it’s clean and not in the food, after all its their hair not mine. If the restaurant allows for piercings and unique hair colors that’s on restaurant policy not the workers.

I agree with you about a lack of respect that’s happened, with all generations to some extent with particular individuals being more disrespectful as a rule compared to most others.

I consider “normal folk” to not buy into the social message that it takes extra effort to be nice to people so just be rude instead. This also stems from the warped mentality that if others have treated me in a rude fashion, than I have every right to be rude too… to orher people who never acted rude to me. That part is most warped, but we see it a lot. This also stems from the mentality that, “Well, everybody else is acting rude so I’m not doing anything different” justifying their rudeness.

It does appear that intentional rudeness is growing based upon evidence of total self-absorption being demonstrated all over the place. One major supporter of full-on self-absorption: social media. I’m not saying all social media is bad. There are many who use it for other reasons that have nothing to do with their own personal sense of, “I am the center of my universe at all times, I just have a need to look in the mirror 24/7 to make sure.” Lol

Most of them will grow up, including many who are in their 30’s, but unfortunately we’ve always had child-like adults who demand to be first in all things. There will be many more “man/childs and prima donnas” in later life compared to now. I have a relative who is absolutely a prima donna and has been her entire life (I dislike her immensely) but she doesn’t have blue hair;p

I can never understand what is so bad about being average and not wanting to be either rich or famous, just do your job & come home to your family & leave work behind. There is nothing wrong with wanting more, but don't see why not climbing the ladder makes you a lesser person. hired a man yesterday and he told me his goal was to pay off his house & truck. seems a fine goal to me.

I tend to agree with you that occupation does not determine one’s level of life contentment. I grew up in a family where occupations mattered greatly, and it still does with most extended family members. “What do you do for a living?”first question asked right off the bat. The oohhs and ahhhs saved mostly for those who shared they were doctors or bankers, as if this is the most crucial thing a person can share with others to let others to determine what kind of person you are. Being a doctor implies many good things, but as most readers know it does not determine whether or not that person is a “good” person or “bad” person. Nada about that part actually.

My point is that people can be content in life completely, experience life in ways that lead to personal growth in various ways, and be totally self-reliant without having the drive for more.

Use to be, Americans prided themselves on how respectful and nice they were. Strangers, neighbors, co worker and just about everyone else, showing respect was something that most Americans took pride in.
Most Americans didn't mind working hard. They understood that getting a job meant giving your all, because if you slacked off, someone else had to pull up your slack. And so out of respect, everyone pulled their own weight. Businesses had the attitude that the customer was always right. A clerk would be fired for getting rude with a customer.

Now a days, with this millennial generation, there's just not much respect, unless you're like them. They wear silly clothes in public. Wear silly hair do's at work. Even those that deal directly with the public.
A few months ago, I decided to try a new restaurant. My first visit, I was greeted by a normal young person, who was dressed nicely. Was very respectful. My waitress was a normal gal. Dressed nicely. Was very respectful. Knew her job and the menu. And was just an all around great gal.
My next visit, I was greeted by some chick with blue hair. My waitress was a huge butch chick, with earrings you couldv'e put a quarter through. Baggy jeans. Also blue hair. And the worst part is, she paid very little attention to me when I was making my order. So much so, she got it mixed up. Especially the way I wanted my steak. I said "If it's more than an inch thick, I wanted it medium well. If it's thin, I want it medium. When I mentioned the steak was cooked wrong, her reply was "you wanted it medium."
Anyways, in the last couple of years, there's more stories like this.
The bottom line is there's very little respect being shown by millennials.

Anyone else, who's part of the Gen X generation noticed this?

P.S. I'm not saying that all the young people are like this. Many are just as normal as people were in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Normal young people, who dress and act normal. They're not throwing their lifestyle in your face. They're not trying to force anything on anyone. Just that more and more millennials seem to be way over dramatic and pushy, just because they can.
My first reaction to this post is that you would have complained then dismissed the music of Beatles based on their long hair....Second, reaction is that you judge people by appearance instead of character.

BTW your first sentence is only true of Americans from the past if you exclude race.

Especially the way I wanted my steak. I said "If it's more than an inch thick, I wanted it medium well. If it's thin, I want it medium. When I mentioned the steak was cooked wrong, her reply was "you wanted it medium."
Was it less than an inch thick Karen?

Was she also the chef?

Use to be, Americans prided themselves on how respectful and nice they were. Strangers, neighbors, co worker and just about everyone else, showing respect was something that most Americans took pride in.
Most Americans didn't mind working hard. They understood that getting a job meant giving your all, because if you slacked off, someone else had to pull up your slack. And so out of respect, everyone pulled their own weight. Businesses had the attitude that the customer was always right. A clerk would be fired for getting rude with a customer.

Now a days, with this millennial generation, there's just not much respect, unless you're like them. They wear silly clothes in public. Wear silly hair do's at work. Even those that deal directly with the public.
A few months ago, I decided to try a new restaurant. My first visit, I was greeted by a normal young person, who was dressed nicely. Was very respectful. My waitress was a normal gal. Dressed nicely. Was very respectful. Knew her job and the menu. And was just an all around great gal.
My next visit, I was greeted by some chick with blue hair. My waitress was a huge butch chick, with earrings you couldv'e put a quarter through. Baggy jeans. Also blue hair. And the worst part is, she paid very little attention to me when I was making my order. So much so, she got it mixed up. Especially the way I wanted my steak. I said "If it's more than an inch thick, I wanted it medium well. If it's thin, I want it medium. When I mentioned the steak was cooked wrong, her reply was "you wanted it medium."

P.S. I'm not saying that all the young people are like this. Many are just as normal as people were in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Normal young people, who dress and act normal. They're not throwing their lifestyle in your face. They're not trying to force anything on anyone. Just that more and more millennials seem to be way over dramatic and pushy, just because they can.
Ok, we’re way past millennials now. What you’re referring too is gen z. I am a millennial, and I have no love for my own generation. All the criticisms of millennials is true overall. That being said gen z makes us look like greatest generation. And gen Z was raised by....wait for it....gen x. Yessir. Gen z is the participation trophy generation coming to fruition. Just what did you expect was going to happen?

But it all circles back to boomers and the counter culture movement. They keep reliving that movement and they just won’t step down and let the younger generations have a shot. This is why both our candidates are septuagenarians about to be octogenarians in a couple years. It’s absurd. Why? Why do y’all think you’re the saviors of the world? Stop it, go away and retire.

And gen z can say “ok boomer” all they want, boomers got their number and are robbing gen z blind. Boomers got gen z all figured out, and it’s quite the grift. Step 1 just dangle a new fake “righteous causes” in front of them, this is classic slight of hand to distract them from reality. Step 2, sell them a fake degree for hundreds of thousands of dollars. This accomplishes 2 things. One puts them in insurmountable debt at the onset of their adulthood, as well as brainwashes them in preparation for step 3. Step 3, now that they’re in debt, financially dependent, and mentally pliable, convince them of this absurd great reset idea that “you’ll never have to own anything” “you can just rent it from us” “you can’t afford it anyway””you don’t need to own a house””you don’t need to own a car””own your own tools, electronics, toys, etc”. “Just rent it from us”. This way boomers and older gen xs are shutting the door on the younger generations ability to build wealth, and keeping it for themselves. But as Solomon said, there is nothing new under the sun. This is just another iteration of the company store, sharecropping, feudalism, nobility, etc. There’s many names to this but it comes down to there will only ever be old money, never any new money. There will be no more blockbusters, or landlines, or railroads, because the old money will always keep it in power.

Ok, we’re way past millennials now. What you’re referring too is gen z. I am a millennial, and I have no love for my own generation. All the criticisms of millennials is true overall. That being said gen z makes us look like greatest generation. And gen Z was raised by....wait for it....gen x. Yessir. Gen z is the participation trophy generation coming to fruition. Just what did you expect was going to happen?

But it all circles back to boomers and the counter culture movement. They keep reliving that movement and they just won’t step down and let the younger generations have a shot. This is why both our candidates are septuagenarians about to be octogenarians in a couple years. It’s absurd. Why? Why do y’all think you’re the saviors of the world? Stop it, go away and retire.

And gen z can say “ok boomer” all they want, boomers got their number and are robbing gen z blind. Boomers got gen z all figured out, and it’s quite the grift. Step 1 just dangle a new fake “righteous causes” in front of them, this is classic slight of hand to distract them from reality. Step 2, sell them a fake degree for hundreds of thousands of dollars. This accomplishes 2 things. One puts them in insurmountable debt at the onset of their adulthood, as well as brainwashes them in preparation for step 3. Step 3, now that they’re in debt, financially dependent, and mentally pliable, convince them of this absurd great reset idea that “you’ll never have to own anything” “you can just rent it from us” “you can’t afford it anyway””you don’t need to own a house””you don’t need to own a car””own your own tools, electronics, toys, etc”. “Just rent it from us”. This way boomers and older gen xs are shutting the door on the younger generations ability to build wealth, and keeping it for themselves. But as Solomon said, there is nothing new under the sun. This is just another iteration of the company store, sharecropping, feudalism, nobility, etc. There’s many names to this but it comes down to there will only ever be old money, never any new money. There will be no more blockbusters, or landlines, or railroads, because the old money will always keep it in power.

I have know people, a couple in my own family as a matter of fact, who were born in the mid to late 60's, who just wouldn't let their kids grow up. Seriously, I know like 5 30+ year olds who are dead beat losers, who just refuse to grow up. And their parents (mostly moms) who won't force their kids to get out.
We laugh about people still living in their parents basements, and you just gotta wonder two things.
1. How much more of a loser can a 30 something yr old be to still live with mom.
2. And what kind of parents would do that to their own kids?

No one had to force me to get my own place. I was glad to. Not that I disliked my parents. But I just had the drive to want my own life.
People my age now, when they're living with their parents, are usually doing it to help their elderly folks.
Seems like every generation loses something, you know.
Obviously, we all want to work hard and provide a better life than we had, for our kids. Couple that with the new technology, and we get what we paid for. A much easier life for our kids. And they take advantage of it, like we did.
My generation doesn't know much about hard physical labor like our grandparents knew. And that's the way they wanted it. But what gets lost, that ability and drive, has an adverse effect on society.

Luckily, not every kid is that way. But I feel sorry for the young go getters. They're going to have a lot of lazy bums to tend with after they're grown.

Was it less than an inch thick Karen?

Was she also the chef?

A thick steak is harder to get medium than a thinner steak. I don't care if I get a thick steak or thin. I just like it cooked right. If I'm paying for a slightly pink middle, then that's what I want.
If I want it served by a normal looking gal, then that's what I want. After all, it's my money.
If I can't get it the way I want it, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

My first reaction to this post is that you would have complained then dismissed the music of Beatles based on their long hair....Second, reaction is that you judge people by appearance instead of character.

BTW your first sentence is only true of Americans from the past if you exclude race.

If I'm listening to music, I'm not looking at the way them. And could care less about their personal lives. Why? Because THE only thing I have to do with musicians, is their music.
People often dress for who and what they are.

What does race have to do with anything I'm talking about.

A thick steak is harder to get medium than a thinner steak. I don't care if I get a thick steak or thin. I just like it cooked right. If I'm paying for a slightly pink middle, then that's what I want.
If I want it served by a normal looking gal, then that's what I want. After all, it's my money.
If I can't get it the way I want it, then I'll take my business elsewhere.
They're really going to be sad to see you go.

It is a complicated evolution of an erroneous government.

In the modern era of things, the people who were against racial desegregation warned that this would happen - what else would they have warned would happen???

We can look at things like Women's suffrage - what good has that done? No woman has risen up and revealed a better way.

The solution is not a return to the way things were before, but rather, fixing the government. The government was established by white men with limited information about it expanding services - they did not know how to set it up to properly accommodate the expansion. And then the organizational scheme has been adjusted to accommodate problems in the past. The Twelfth Amendment completely reversed a check on presidential power. The Seventeenth Amendment eliminated a check on socio-political chaos in the states and raised it to the federal government. The House of Representatives limited the representation to 435 members while the population became more diverse and sophisticated in expectations.

The media focuses us on the partisan chaos, and that trickles down frustrating people who act out in different ways to push the envelope of exploiting the inadequacies. Sometimes they just adjust their appearance to shock people, and sometimes they use vulgarities, and sometimes they use violence in an effort to shock the surviving community to adjust the social order.

The problem is the government was designed a long time ago for a much different society.

Hey youngsters! Stay outta my yard!

Every generation complains about the next one. Each generation is smarter and better than the last.
Largely true, until the last half of the 20th Century. Since then, generations of programmed morons have been produced, with incompetancy increasing with each subsequent generation, so each is more incapable than the last.
The last two generations can't even count change back to you without using buttons on the register....Something I learned to do in grammar school....Hand them $5.06 for something that costs $4.81 and watch the smoke blow out their ears.
I noticed that too. I have to tell them to "just key it in."
As for appearances, I see that more as a product of self-esteem than general respect for others, though one certainly begets the other.....If you ever watch old episodes of "What not to Wear", you can clearly see that the people they brought on the show had serious self-image challenges, that manifested in the way they presented themselves to the world.
Never heard of that show - let's see if it is on YouTube.

So I'm up next. I joke with her and say "Don't let this go over $20."
I am stunned that people shop that way!
I noticed the Target stores in Brooklyn had ten to twenty carts of items not bought outside the checkout lanes. I was like what is going on??? It took me a couple of times seeing it to realize what they were doing!

Well, the problem is the organizational scheme of the government. It was designed for a much different society, and the younger generations have not figured that out, yet.

We need to have a constitutional convention for several reasons: fix the inadequately organized federal government and state governments and municipal governments, and we need to eliminate the claim of systemic racism and every other claim of systemic biases.
That's pretty good. Eventually, Generation Z will realize that they need a more efficient government than the subsisting government that was designed for a less diverse society, that deliberates issues in such a manner that it explains why they did it that way. That is the part about justice that is missing.

Forum List

Back