How Cultural Marxism Has Crept it's way into UCLA's English Curriculum

Publius1787

Gold Member
Jan 11, 2011

I just read this Wall Street Journal Article titled The Humanities Have Forgotten Their Humanity by Heather Mac Donald Heather Mac Donald: The Humanities Have Forgotten Their Humanity - WSJ.com . This is what happens when leftists professors run amok on the college campus. Of course, this isn't surprising to me. All courses at my college were centered around the same themes. This is how the left is indoctrinating young minds full of mush.

Until 2011, students majoring in English at UCLA had to take one course in Chaucer, two in Shakespeare, and one in Milton—the cornerstones of English literature. Following a revolt of the junior faculty, however, during which it was announced that Shakespeare was part of the “Empire,” UCLA junked these individual author requirements. It replaced them with a mandate that all English majors take a total of three courses in the following four areas: Gender, Race, Ethnicity, Disability and Sexuality Studies; Imperial, Transnational, and Postcolonial Studies; genre studies, interdisciplinary studies, and critical theory; or creative writing. ... ... ...

Compare the humanists' hunger for learning with the resentment of a Columbia University undergraduate, who had been required by the school's core curriculum to study Mozart. She happens to be black, but her views are widely shared, to borrow a phrase, "across gender, sexuality, race and class."

"Why did I have to listen in music humanities to this Mozart?" she groused in a discussion of the curriculum reported by David Denby in "Great Books," his 1997 account of re-enrolling in Columbia's core curriculum. "My problem with the core is that it upholds the premises of white supremacy and racism. It's a racist core. Who is this Mozart, this Haydn, these superior white men? There are no women, no people of color." These are not the idiosyncratic thoughts of one disgruntled student; they represent the dominant ideology in the humanities today. ... ... ....

On a related note here is David Horowitz talking about the one party classroom and the lefts fight to keep colleges liberal reeducation camps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems silly to claim that it is an English major when in fact you are not learning English but American.

Yeah, Capitalist mush creating dead zones in the oceans is so much less important.

psik

Seems silly to claim that it is an English major when in fact you are not learning English but American.

Indeed, they forgot where English came from. It would be like studying Japanese and being offended that you aren't studying famous black Japanese literature. Why did they change the curriculum? The left wants everything to be about class, gender, race, and so on.

I just read this Wall Street Journal Article titled The Humanities Have Forgotten Their Humanity by Heather Mac Donald Heather Mac Donald: The Humanities Have Forgotten Their Humanity - WSJ.com . This is what happens when leftists professors run amok on the college campus. Of course, this isn't surprising to me. All courses at my college were centered around the same themes. This is how the left is indoctrinating young minds full of mush.

Until 2011, students majoring in English at UCLA had to take one course in Chaucer, two in Shakespeare, and one in Milton—the cornerstones of English literature. Following a revolt of the junior faculty, however, during which it was announced that Shakespeare was part of the “Empire,” UCLA junked these individual author requirements. It replaced them with a mandate that all English majors take a total of three courses in the following four areas: Gender, Race, Ethnicity, Disability and Sexuality Studies; Imperial, Transnational, and Postcolonial Studies; genre studies, interdisciplinary studies, and critical theory; or creative writing. ... ... ...

Compare the humanists' hunger for learning with the resentment of a Columbia University undergraduate, who had been required by the school's core curriculum to study Mozart. She happens to be black, but her views are widely shared, to borrow a phrase, "across gender, sexuality, race and class."

"Why did I have to listen in music humanities to this Mozart?" she groused in a discussion of the curriculum reported by David Denby in "Great Books," his 1997 account of re-enrolling in Columbia's core curriculum. "My problem with the core is that it upholds the premises of white supremacy and racism. It's a racist core. Who is this Mozart, this Haydn, these superior white men? There are no women, no people of color." These are not the idiosyncratic thoughts of one disgruntled student; they represent the dominant ideology in the humanities today. ... ... ....

On a related note here is David Horowitz talking about the one party classroom and the lefts fight to keep colleges liberal reeducation camps.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2lZsfunGY]Book TV: David Horowitz, author of "One-Party Classroom" - YouTube[/ame]

^ That post sounds to me like paranoid idiocy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2lZsfunGY]Book TV: David Horowitz, author of "One-Party Classroom" - YouTube[/ame]

^ That post sounds to me like paranoid idiocy

Perhaps to those who never graduated college.

During the various Red Scares, schools from high school up should have had classes on Marxism. Remaining ignornant of a subject is not the way to treat fear, it only makes the subject easy for politicians to manipulate for political purposes. Of course, it was that very fear that schools steered clear of even mentioning communism, Marx or other fear words.

Seems silly to me that English is an even a major at all. Talk about a complete waste of money.

It depends on what you want to do with your life. You can teach English, write, go into law, to name a few. Indeed, if you want to study law you must first get a BA or BS degree. Most people who study law get degrees in one of three categories before attending Law School. English, History, or Political Science.

Forum List

Back