How come I do not know who Albert Schweitzer was? Does it matter?

Stainmaster

Rookie
Apr 15, 2010
Southern California
My grandpop mentioned the name Albert Schweitzer the other day, and was really perturbed that I did not know who he was. He blamed modern education, and the media.
Here is some info about him if Albert Schweitzer are interested;

Albert Schweitzer (14 January 1875 – 4 September 1965) was an Alsatian German-French theologian, musician, philosopher, and physician. He was born in Kaysersberg in the province of Alsace-Lorraine, from 1871 to 1918 in the German Empire. Schweitzer challenged both the secular view of Jesus as depicted by historical-critical methodology current at his time in certain academic circles, as well as the traditional Christian view, depicting a Jesus Christ who expected and predicted the imminent end of the world.
Image60.jpg
He received the 1952 Nobel Peace Prize in 1953 for his philosophy of "Reverence for Life", expressed in many ways, but most famously in founding and sustaining the Albert Schweitzer Hospital in Lambaréné, now in Gabon, west central Africa (then French Equatorial Africa). As a music scholar and organist, he studied the music of German composer Johann Sebastian Bach and influenced the Organ reform movement (Orgelbewegung).

Maybe if the media spent a little more time focusing on stories about people like Albert Schweitzer in today's world there would not be such a feeling of hopelessness around this country. We all feel it. I mean how many stories do we really need about Republicans compensating strippers, or how many cigarettes the President smokes a day? Let's get real!

How come I do not know who Albert Schweitzer was?
Does it matter?

Last edited:
Our creator grants us our humanity, rights, liberties & personal quest for knowledge. Governments should not grant these & should only restrict them when our liberties take away from the liberties of others. Your tone in your OP of blaming others for your education is akin to saying others control your life. You believe a dictator should tell you what to think & how to act. There are many old timers you should listen to instead of listening to one side.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5OnW0-HInI&feature=player_embedded"]Kitty Werthmann Interview 1[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyiEzufunOA&feature=player_embedded"]Kitty Werthmann Interview 2[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiSF7-BDBH8&feature=player_embedded"]Kitty Werthmann Interview 3[/ame]

My grandpop mentioned the name Albert Schweitzer the other day, and was really perturbed that I did not know who he was. He blamed modern education, and the media.

Interesting that you ask. I have frequently posted pieces on people I consider saints, not in the religious sense but in the human sense. I have to find them. I mentioned Schweitzer in Post#20 in link below. I thought I posted a thread on him but it may have been on another site. MSM is corporate owned and conservative, good people who do good things are shown rarely it is the bad that gets the news. Also the bad makes better story, find a show on TV that is simply good?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/writing/105341-a-fable-about-freedom-2.html

Found one. http://www.usmessageboard.com/africa/99799-those-too-rare-people-saints.html

Last edited:

Albert Schweitzer (14 January 1875 – 4 September 1965) was an Alsatian German-French theologian, musician, philosopher, and physician. He was born in Kaysersberg in the province of Alsace-Lorraine, from 1871 to 1918 in the German Empire. Schweitzer challenged both the secular view of Jesus as depicted by historical-critical methodology current at his time in certain academic circles, as well as the traditional Christian view, depicting a Jesus Christ who expected and predicted the imminent end of the world.
Image60.jpg
He received the 1952 Nobel Peace Prize in 1953 for his philosophy of "Reverence for Life", expressed in many ways, but most famously in founding and sustaining the Albert Schweitzer Hospital in Lambaréné, now in Gabon, west central Africa (then French Equatorial Africa). As a music scholar and organist, he studied the music of German composer Johann Sebastian Bach and influenced the Organ reform movement (Orgelbewegung).

Maybe if the media spent a little more time focusing on stories about people like Albert Schweitzer in today's world there would not be such a feeling of hopelessness around this country. We all feel it. I mean how many stories do we really need about Republicans compensating strippers, or how many cigarettes the President smokes a day? Let's get real!

Does it matter?

Because the game is to set us upon ourselves with hate and fear, rather than inspiring us with examples of people who worked on behalf of all mankind.

We live in a society run by people who now believe that GREED IS GOOD!!

Who believes that who doesn't worship at the alter of MAMMON?

Because the game is to set us upon ourselves with hate and fear, rather than inspiring us with examples of people who worked on behalf of all mankind.

Personal Greed can be good or bad. Our government allowed some to leverage our money far beyond their personal liberties hoping everyone would take those powers over others liberties to do good for those others. This additional leverage corrupted many to act greedy & take liberties that they morally should not have.

Ultimate power corrupts ultimately.

• Banned
because you are shirtless and stupid......

yes it does matter....

Wise words, bones.

From California no less, and with an avatar with a low neckline. Worried about me being shirtless? I was naked when the picture was taken for God sakes! Who cares! Someone is confused, and this time it is not me! And, now to the point of this thread.

At least you think Albert Schweitzer is someone I should know about, but you did not say why or point a finger in the direction of the media, education, or somewhere else. Any further thoughts please?

Last edited:
Our creator grants us our humanity, rights, liberties & personal quest for knowledge. Governments should not grant these & should only restrict them when our liberties take away from the liberties of others. Your tone in your OP of blaming others for your education is akin to saying others control your life. You believe a dictator should tell you what to think & how to act. There are many old timers you should listen to instead of listening to one side.

Kitty Werthmann Interview 1
Kitty Werthmann Interview 2
Kitty Werthmann Interview 3

The Kitty Werthmann Interview was excellent. It should be it's own thread, or take it to that anti-Hebrew message board Argue with Everyone.

You believe a dictator should tell you what to think & how to act.

My debate experience in college tells me this is bait.

Interesting that you ask. I have frequently posted pieces on people I consider saints, not in the religious sense but in the human sense. I have to find them. I mentioned Schweitzer in Post#20 in link below....

http://www.usmessageboard.com/writing/105341-a-fable-about-freedom-2.html

Found one. http://www.usmessageboard.com/africa/99799-those-too-rare-people-saints.html

Good for you. I wonder why, with my college education no one ever taught me anything about hanukkah, what it means, when, it is and why. Is Buddah the friend of the Big Kahuna and the surfers down at the beach? You get my point.

Education and Mass Media are missing the boat here. Perhaps we could force feed America with these ideas instead of things like Monica Lewinski's dress. Education, mass media, what a mess. In the end who will pay the price for what we don't know? I do know the answer to that one, it is me! It is always me, and it is my fault! Because we are as responsible for what we don't know as we are for what we do.

Last edited:

Image60.jpg

Does it matter?

You said it better than I did. There are a lot of definitions of the the word "MAMMON," but this one sounded the closest to your context.

Demon mentioned in the New Testament (Matthew, 6,4). Has come to be known as the demon of money, or the demon of love of money.
www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com/m/

Last edited:

Image60.jpg

Does it matter?

Hmmm. I learned about him in school...and it was a public school too.

Driving cross country once, I was listening to some religious talk program on the radio (passed the night) and the host was, in all seriousness, talking about how Albert Schwietzer was going to Hell and Jeffrey Dahmer was going to Heaven because Dahmer had, before he died, accepted Jesus Christ as his savior and Schwietzer had not. Pretty bizarre stuff.

Image60.jpg

Does it matter?

Hmmm. I learned about him in school...and it was a public school too.

That is encouraging....... I am in my mid-twenties, and a bit above an average student who graduated from Warren High School in Downey, attended junior college, and graduated from UCDavis. I have heard the name before, but never knew anything about Albert Schweitzer until I went to Wiki for this post. Sad, huh.

albert-schweitzer-inspirational-quotes.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back