How Coal Mines Have Changed The Appalachian Way Of Life

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
From Sierra Magazine's “The Cost of Coal”:

When mining companies level West Virginia mountains to get at the coal beneath, whole towns disappear. When a Michigan power plant burns coal to make electricity, it triggers asthma attacks among children living nearby. When coal ash blows onto a Paiute reservation in Nevada, elders die. Sierra asked people across the land to describe how the world’s dirtiest energy source has disrupted their lives— and what they’re doing to stop it.

Mountaintop removal mines in Appalachia have demolished an estimated 1.4 million acres of forested hills, buried an estimated 2,000 miles of streams, poisoned drinking water, and wiped whole towns from the map. Lindytown, West Virginia, once home to dozens of families, is now an isolated, lonely place, with only one original family remaining. Everyone else sold out to Massey Energy (now Alpha Natural Resources), which was laying waste to a nearby mountain. West of Lindytown, a mountaintop removal mine caused the population of Blair to fall from 700 people in the 1990s to fewer than 50 today, according to the Blair Mountain Heritage Alliance.

More: West Virginia Mountaintop Removal: How Coal Mines Have Changed The Appalachian Way Of Life (PHOTOS)

Sierra Club Presents the Cost of Coal

Slideshows - Overview - Sierra Club Presents the Cost of Coal

Fuck them tree huggers. Tired of this green energy bullshit.. All it is doing is making Al Gore richer and he is laughing all the way to the bank. All the while he does not have a green house and has private jets .. He is a hypocrite in the worst way and you people believe his stupid ass

So, Lovebear you think it's cool that Appalachian people are sick, even dying from coal used to create energy for the likes of you?
Your electricity is more important than their existence?
Narcissistic elitist much?

clean-coal-debates.jpg

Liberals can never just keep their noses out of other peoples lives...

but whatever you all do, stay the hell out of their vagina's and bedrooms

When mining companies level West Virginia mountains to get at the coal beneath, whole towns disappear.

How can they destroy a town without purchasing the property?

When a Michigan power plant burns coal to make electricity, it triggers asthma attacks among children living nearby.

Horseshit. There isn't a shred of tangible evidence to support that idiotic claim.

There is a coal fired power plant not more than 5 miles from my house. There is also a coal fired power plant right in the middle of a residential neighborhood in Denver. I never have heard any reports of any medical problems resulting from either. Do you have a shred of evidence to support this idiotic claim?

When coal ash blows onto a Paiute reservation in Nevada, elders die.

Horseshit. Where is the documentation for this claim?

Sierra asked people across the land to describe how the world’s dirtiest energy source has disrupted their lives— and what they’re doing to stop it.

And what they got in return was a mountain of bullshit anecdotal evidence that is scientifically worthless.

Mountaintop removal mines in Appalachia have demolished an estimated 1.4 million acres of forested hills, buried an estimated 2,000 miles of streams, poisoned drinking water, and wiped whole towns from the map.

The trees are all replenished, you can't "bury" a stream, and the term "wipe out" means the coal company bought the properties and the residence simply moved somewhere else.

Lindytown, West Virginia, once home to dozens of families, is now an isolated, lonely place, with only one original family remaining. Everyone else sold out to Massey Energy (now Alpha Natural Resources), which was laying waste to a nearby mountain. West of Lindytown, a mountaintop removal mine caused the population of Blair to fall from 700 people in the 1990s to fewer than 50 today, according to the Blair Mountain Heritage Alliance.

So your source even admits the coal companies buy out the residents. Oh BOO HOO! It is a tragedy that anyone might ever have to move once in their entire life. No American should ever have to move! It's an outrage!

Yup. Please & TYVM.

But Obama's your Daddy so just kiss, make up and move FORWARD.

Regards from Rosie

So, Lovebear you think it's cool that Appalachian people are sick, even dying from coal used to create energy for the likes of you?

Do you have actual evidence that anyone in Appalachia is sick from living near a coal mine?

Buy the way, you know that office building you work in? It's highly likely that some construction workers died building it. Is your nice clean office more important than the lives of construction workers? You know those crab legs you eat at your local seafood restaurant? It's highly likely that some fisherman died trying to catch those crabs. Are crab legs more important to you than a couple crab legs?

Just put all the coal miners and their families on welfare. Be done with it. Then the envirowackos can move on to fracking.

Or it could be the fact these coal mines are outdated. Coal is booming out west, and you should see what they have to do to meet environmental standards.
These companies are blaming liberals etc, when in reality capitalism is bushing them out of business.
I thought right wingers liked capitalism?

When mining companies level West Virginia mountains to get at the coal beneath, whole towns disappear. When a Michigan power plant burns coal to make electricity, it triggers asthma attacks among children living nearby. When coal ash blows onto a Paiute reservation in Nevada, elders die. Sierra asked people across the land to describe how the world’s dirtiest energy source has disrupted their lives— and what they’re doing to stop it.

Mountaintop removal mines in Appalachia have demolished an estimated 1.4 million acres of forested hills, buried an estimated 2,000 miles of streams, poisoned drinking water, and wiped whole towns from the map. Lindytown, West Virginia, once home to dozens of families, is now an isolated, lonely place, with only one original family remaining. Everyone else sold out to Massey Energy (now Alpha Natural Resources), which was laying waste to a nearby mountain. West of Lindytown, a mountaintop removal mine caused the population of Blair to fall from 700 people in the 1990s to fewer than 50 today, according to the Blair Mountain Heritage Alliance.

More: West Virginia Mountaintop Removal: How Coal Mines Have Changed The Appalachian Way Of Life (PHOTOS)

Sierra Club Presents the Cost of Coal

Slideshows - Overview - Sierra Club Presents the Cost of Coal

The Sierra Club is gay.

Get used to coal s0n..........gonna be around in abundance for a long, long, long, long time!!!:fu:

2035generation.gif

Assholes.........they live in a fucking bubble.:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Last edited:

Do you have actual evidence that anyone in Appalachia is sick from living near a coal mine?

Buy the way, you know that office building you work in? It's highly likely that some construction workers died building it. Is your nice clean office more important than the lives of construction workers? You know those crab legs you eat at your local seafood restaurant? It's highly likely that some fisherman died trying to catch those crabs. Are crab legs more important to you than a couple crab legs?

It's called black lung disease. You should see what happens to someone caught up in coal slurry, btw. Funny how high the cancer rates are.

I work from home. I'm allergic to shellfish. If I could eat crab legs I would only eat the Alaskan ones. The fishermen South Africa operate under sweatshop-type conditions.

Just put all the coal miners and their families on welfare. Be done with it. Then the envirowackos can move on to fracking.

Quite a few are on welfare.

Have any of you ever been to coal country?

Any of your towns look like Centralia? It's gonna burn for another hundred years.

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZtW8Jy_7ro"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZtW8Jy_7ro[/ame]

It's called black lung disease. You should see what happens to someone caught up in coal slurry, btw. Funny how high the cancer rates are.

Only miners who smoke get black lung disease. So it's really caused by smoking, not mining coal. Furthermore I asked you if you had any evidence of people getting sick from living near coal mines, not from working in them.

I work from home. I'm allergic to shellfish. If I could eat crab legs I would only eat the Alaskan ones. The fishermen South Africa operate under sweatshop-type conditions.

You own a car and numerous other items that are made from steel. Do you know how many people are killed every year mining iron ore and making steel? You also put gas in that car. Did you know that working in the oil fields is one of the most dangerous occupations there is? You also live in a house made of wood. The lumber industry is another of the most dangerous occupations there is.

In short, you really don't give a crap about people dying to provide you with a nice cozy life. You only claim to care about coal miners because you're a left-wing environmental wacko who hates fossil fuels.

Forum List

Back