How about them republican amendments to Obama’s health care bill?

Vanquish

Vanquisher of shills
Aug 14, 2009
Check this out

This is the kind of reporting I like. No, not because it's liberal. I'm trying to base my arguments on facts. Facts like the ones in this article.

Of the 788 amendments filed, 67 came from Democrats and 721 from Republicans. (That disparity drew jeers that Republicans were trying to slow things down. Another explanation may be that they offered so many so they could later claim—as they are now, in fact, claiming—that most of their suggestions went unheeded.) Only 197 amendments were passed in the end—36 from Democrats and 161 from Republicans. And of those 161 GOP amendments, Senate Republicans classify 29 as substantive and 132 as technical.

So for anyone claiming BO hasn't tried to be bi-partisan... read the article.

I love facts.

GOP has done anything they could to obstruct passage of the bill.

Ironically, if any Republican had the balls to act on what is best for his constituents, he could have gotten any desired clauses put into the bill. Tort Reform, tax breaks, interstate competition all could have made it in if the Republicans were willing to play ball.

But they didn't want Obama to get credit for passing Healthcare

Ironically, if any Republican had the balls to act on what is best for his constituents, he could have gotten any desired clauses put into the bill. Tort Reform, tax breaks, interstate competition all could have made it in if the Republicans were willing to play ball.

"Mr. Obama on Sunday clarified that he is so far not willing to consider capping malpractice judgments, a reform proposal consistently put forward by Republicans."

Obama Clarifies Position on Tort Reform on "60 Minutes" - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Oh you mean like Stupak getting anti-abortion into the final bill? And did that work out for him?

"Mr. Obama on Sunday clarified that he is so far not willing to consider capping malpractice judgments, a reform proposal consistently put forward by Republicans."

Obama Clarifies Position on Tort Reform on "60 Minutes" - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Obama won't support Tort reform because he needs the trial lawyers.

I don't support tort reform because: a.) it's a band-aid for a bullet wound and b.) I feel the same way about tort caps as mandatory sentences - the world is not a black and white place, and there's no one-size-fits-all answer.

Perhaps you need someone to act in your best interests but personally, I am quite capable of making my own decisions. I do NOT need any fucking politician to 'act on what is best for' me, as a constituent.

The fundamental difference between liberals and conservatives. Liberals want someone to take responsibility for them, conservatives want to take responsibility for themselves.

Obama won't support Tort reform because he needs the trial lawyers.

I don't support tort reform because: a.) it's a band-aid for a bullet wound and b.) I feel the same way about tort caps as mandatory sentences - the world is not a black and white place, and there's no one-size-fits-all answer.

I agree. Tort reform is great until you are the one that is injured or crippled. Conservatives loe to harp on the million dollar judgements but they never reveal the pain and lifetime discomfort someone has to go through to justify a million dollar judgement.

If I had a choice I would rather be healthy and forego a million dollar judgement

Perhaps you need someone to act in your best interests but personally, I am quite capable of making my own decisions. I do NOT need any fucking politician to 'act on what is best for' me, as a constituent.

The fundamental difference between liberals and conservatives. Liberals want someone to take responsibility for them, conservatives want to take responsibility for themselves.

I'm glad you don't want anyone to protect your interests ...

Sure you don't mind if your boss sexually harasses you, if you work in an environment that will eventually kill you, sure you don't mind if a man makes twice what you do, if the water you drink or the food you buy is contaminated, if your insurance company drops you when you get sick...

All things the government currently protects

We've been over this again and again... You can't make a big ole pile of shit palatable, and it doesn't matter how many cherries you put on top.

It's not at all unusual for legislators to add amendments to bills that they never intend to vote for. Frankly, it slows the process down, allows more time for the public to weigh in, and if everything goes to pot and it gets through anyway, it's hopefully a little better for the changes.

A bill isn't "bipartisan" because of its amendments. Its "bipartisan" when its passed by both parties. And it's not supposed to be easy. It's vigorous debate and genuine consensus which gives us a better quality product. There's no point in having a bicameral legislature when both Houses do the same thing.... majority rules. The Senate is supposed to be putting the brakes on the fad of the moment and ensuring that we think things through. Constitutional Amendments are supposed to require even greater consensus, and truly without an enumerated power authorizing Congress to run our healthcare,system, that's what should be required here.

Sure you don't mind if your boss sexually harasses you, if you work in an environment that will eventually kill you, sure you don't mind if a man makes twice what you do, if the water you drink or the food you buy is contaminated, if your insurance company drops you when you get sick...

I don't have a boss. I work from home so I am responsible for providing a safe working environment for myself and I am quite confident that I can match my future husband for earnings buck for buck... in fact, I earn more than him.... and he's fine with that. I do not need a nanny. I need a government to provide what it is constitutionally obliged to, and my state to provide they are required to and get the hell out of my life so I can live it my way. Thanks for caring but I don't need anyone to watch over me.

I don't have a boss. I work from home so I am responsible for providing a safe working environment for myself and I am quite confident that I can match my future husband for earnings buck for buck... in fact, I earn more than him.... and he's fine with that. I do not need a nanny. I need a government to provide what it is constitutionally obliged to, and my state to provide they are required to and get the hell out of my life so I can live it my way. Thanks for caring but I don't need anyone to watch over me.

You are an inspiration to us all California Girl :clap2:

So glad you don't need anything and can do everything on your own. Safe food, safe water, if you get sick...you can be sure your Doctor is qualified and the hospital meets all standards
As a woman, you can feel confident that you can match your husband buck for buck because of your skills and not because the government ensured women are treated equatably in the workplace

Forum List

Back