House stimulus draft reflects Democrats’ views on airline aid

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The House and Senate take fundamentally different approaches to helping airlines reeling from the coronavirus pandemic, and that difference may be a sticking point to an agreement.

At issue is whether to offer airlines cash grants or simply loans to help them navigate the turbulence caused by the pandemic.

An early draft summary of the House bill obtained by CQ Roll Call Monday would provide $40 billion in grants to airlines and ground support contractors and up to $21 billion in loans to airlines.

By contrast, the legislative vehicle for the Senate bill (HR 748) provided $58 billion in loans and loan guarantees to airlines. Both bills are subject to change; provisions of the Senate measure including those affecting airlines are the subject of intense debate between Democrats and Republicans. The House draft could change before its introduction.

I'd say that it's a pretty big sticking point because I don't think it's one that has been resolved yet.

Oh, that is only one of many sticking points. That one appears minor compared to the others.

Oh, that is only one of many sticking points. That one appears minor compared to the others.

depotoo you are correct on how this subject is only one of the sticking points... But I have to disagree on the level of importance... The Airlines and associated business's are extremely important for several reasons... Just think about living in a country with no or new start-up airlines...

Big corporations have lots of preventive ways to protect themselves in emergency situations, including insurance.

At this time I agree with Democrats by asking "transparency" before approving trillion plus dollars incentive package.

The focus at this time must go primarily to the regular worker.

In former administrations, (Clinton, Bush, Obama) the economic help has been always given to the big companies.

Hope this administration to work for the most needed at this time, and let the corporations to recover by themselves, because... because surely they can do it without any government help.

Forum List

Back