House, Senate both pass surrender legislation

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Last November, we, the Amercan people, voted to put Democrats into majorities in both the House and the Senate. Many of those Democrats had promised to cut and run from Iraq. Now they have kept their word.

There is no word yet from the troops, who will be asked to keep fighting and dying for a country we will turn over to the enemy on Oct. 1.

We are getting the government we deserve. Unfortunately, so are our troops and allies.

President Bush has promised to veto the bill.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OOEQF00&show_article=1

Congress Passes Iraq Bill, Veto Awaits

Apr 26 02:18 PM US/Eastern
By ANNE FLAHERTY
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - A defiant Democratic-controlled Senate passed legislation Thursday that would require the start of troop withdrawals from Iraq by Oct. 1, propelling Congress toward a historic veto showdown with President Bush on the war.

At the White House, the president immediately promised a veto.

"It is amazing that legislation urgently needed to fund our troops took 80 days to make its way around the Capitol. But that's where we are," said deputy press secretary Dana Perino.

The 51-46 vote was largely along party lines, and like House passage of the same bill a day earlier, fell far short of the two-thirds margin needed to overturn the president's threatened veto. Nevertheless, the legislation is the first binding challenge on the war that Democrats have managed to send to Bush since they reclaimed control of both houses of Congress in January.

"The president has failed in his mission to bring peace and stability to the people of Iraq," said Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.V., chairman of the Appropriations Committee. He later added: "It's time to bring our troops home from Iraq."

The $124.2 billion bill requires troop withdrawals to begin Oct. 1, or sooner if the Iraqi government does not meet certain benchmarks. The House passed the measure Wednesday by a 218-208 vote.

Across the Potomac River at the Pentagon, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. David Petraeus, told reporters the war effort likely will "get harder before it gets easier."

Republicans said the vote amounted to little more than political theater because the bill would be dead on arrival after reaching the White House. Bush said he will veto the bill so long as it contains a timetable on Iraq, as well as $20 billion in spending added by Democrats.

"The solution is simple: Take out the surrender date, take out the pork, and get the funds to our troops," said Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

Republicans Gordon Smith of Oregon and Chuck Hagel of Nebraska sided with 48 Democrats and Independent Bernard Sanders in supporting the bill. No Democrats joined the 45 Republicans in voting against it. Missing from the vote were GOP Sens. John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, both staunch advocates of the president's Iraq policy.

Sen. Joseph Lieberman, I-Conn., sided with Republicans in opposing the bill.

"We delude ourselves if we think we can wave a legislative wand and suddenly our troops in the field will be able to distinguish between al-Qaida terrorism or sectarian violence. Or that Iraqis will suddenly settle their political differences because our troops are leaving," Lieberman said.

Hey Joe, where you going with that gun in your hands? Not to war I bet.

Hey Joe - remember this?

Yeah, come on all of you, big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
He's got himself in a terrible jam
Way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.

And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Well, come on generals, let's move fast;
Your big chance has come at last.
Gotta go out and get those reds —
The only good commie is the one who's dead
And you know that peace can only be won
When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.

Next stop is Vietnam;
Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Too old to go Joe? Send someone else's kids? Fuck no Joe, you go!

And here's some for you - five deferments Dick Cheney:

Well, come on Wall Street, don't move slow,
Why man, this is war au-go-go.
There's plenty good money to be made
By supplying the Army with the tools of the trade,
Just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb,
They drop it on the Viet Cong.

Next stop is Vietnam.
Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Well, come on mothers throughout the land,
Pack your boys off to Vietnam.
Come on fathers, don't hesitate,
Send 'em off before it's too late.
Be the first one on your block
To have your boy come home in a box.

And it's one, two, three
Next stop is Vietnam.
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,

I heard a rumor that there was someone on this board who would even throw the last time the Democrats cut and run from a war and left our allies to die... which they did, by the millions.

But naah, nobody would be that crass and foul.

Would they? :question:

surrender? we are not turning over anything to our enemies...we are giving our encampments and our assets over to the legitimate government of Iraq. WHo the fuck are we "surrendering" ANYTHING to?

surrender? we are not turning over anything to our enemies...we are giving our encampments and our assets over to the legitimate government of Iraq. WHo the fuck are we "surrendering" ANYTHING to?

maineman, I knew you frequently walked around with your head up your ass. But until now, I didn't realize how FAR.

-------------------------------------

His obtuse reply deserves no more reply than that.

Is my utter disgust and contempt for the people who did this, showing yet? :question:

maineman, I knew you frequently walked around with your head up your ass. But until now, I didn't realize how FAR.

Is my utter disgust and contempt for the people who did this, showing yet? :question:

Great insult, piss-poor comeback though.

The terrorists

Why are spimple things so hard for you to grasp?

An ostrich sticks his head in the sand - MM sticks his head up his ass

I heard a rumor that there was someone on this board who would even throw the last time the Democrats cut and run from a war and left our allies to die... which they did, by the millions.

But naah, nobody would be that crass and foul.

Would they? :question:

Are you referring to that disgraced "Democrat" (not) - Richard Milhouse Nixon?

g-nixon.jpg

vietnam.gif

Back to your pictures again Paul

Why not post more fake letters from the troops in your feeble attempt to try and make something of yourself

An ostrich sticks his head in the sand - MM sticks his head up his ass

It doesn't and MM doesn't.

It's an oyster that was the original reference, just that someone confused ostrica with ostrich.

Not to be confused with "oyster" - (n.), a person who sprinkles his conversation with Yiddish expressions. (from the Washington Post, yet)

It doesn't and MM doesn't.

It's an oyster that was the original reference, just that someone confused ostrica with ostrich.

Not to be confused with "oyster" - (n.), a person who sprinkles his conversation with Yiddish expressions. (from the Washington Post, yet)

Both hide from what is happening around them the same way

so when you don't have anything to counter what I have said, you insult me?

pretty weak...pretty childish. Go look up the word surrender....

and then tell me, did Britian surrender Palestine in May of '48?

God Warrior, though he disagrees with the Democrat's withdrawal plan, respects the fact that they are following the wishes of their constituency. God Warrior only wishes that the President and his advisors had shown some modicum of sense during the initial planning phases of the war, then this entire mess could have been avoided.

Last November, we, the Amercan people, voted to put Democrats into majorities in both the House and the Senate. Many of those Democrats had promised to cut and run from Iraq. Now they have kept their word.

There is no word yet from the troops, who will be asked to keep fighting and dying for a country we will turn over to the enemy on Oct. 1.

Yet, we have received word from at least one of their commanders who has served in Iraq and who is now a member of the U.S. House. He like many of our soldiers expect to have clear timelines and benchmarks and like many of them he want us to bring this war to a conclusion. Many of those whom have served under Rep. Murphy in Iraq are now dead. We also know from Senator Webb that his son who is now serving in Iraq opposes this war and disagrees with the President and yet like Murphy Senator Webb's son is being asked to fight and possibly die for the opinion of George Bush and that isn't what he and others joined the military to do. They joined to defend their country and that is what so many of them did proudly in Afghanistan and now those who oppose this war who are in the Armed Services listen to assholes like Red States insult their representatives. I can imagine how furious Rep. Murphy must feel to know that his sacrifice for his country counted for nothing and that if he disagrees with those who support this war than his service does not matter.

We are getting the government we deserve. Unfortunately, so are our troops and allies.

You are correct, and that is why when someone who has served in Iraq, and who has led men into battle in Iraq openly speaks out in favor of timelines and benchmarks on the House floor that we should listen to what they have to say because it is from actual battle experience that they speak.

President Bush has promised to veto the bill.

And how many Americans who disagree with him will die in Iraq because of his opinion? How many mothers and fathers will lose their children for the opinion of George Bush? Will Senator Webb have to bury his son because Bush thinks his opinion matters more than the elected representatives of the people and not just those whom voted for him?

The Iraqi's? :eusa_clap:

The terrorists

Why are spimple things so hard for you to grasp?

Requiring the Iraqi's to take charge in Iraq and to re-deploy our forces to Afghanistan, and other parts of the world including returning many of them to the United States while maintaining a strategic deployment in the Middle East would not be surrendering to the terrorists. Representative Murphy in talking of this openly makes the point that we should re-deploy our National Guard to the United States so they can defend us if we are attacked (that is their duty) and to re-deploy many troops into Afghanistan so we can capture and eliminate Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda. In addition to that we should and will maintain a strategic force in the Middle East to train and equip the Iraqi's while drawing troop levels down. It makes absolutely no sense to anyone to remain in Iraq and for many people to die for your opinion and for the opinion of a guy named George. Senator Webb who openly speaks out in favor of withdrawal has a son in Iraq and Representative who also openly speaks out in favor of re-deploying our troops served in Iraq.

so when you don't have anything to counter what I have said, you insult me?

pretty weak...pretty childish. Go look up the word surrender....

and then tell me, did Britian surrender Palestine in May of '48?

Seems like you are talking about youself

Libs are waving the white flag and the terrorists are more confident now then ever before

Forum List

Back