House repubs to target Social Security and Medicare cuts

You really are that simple?
It's called "compromise"
Republicans want to raise the full retirement age from 66 to 70. So what? Compromise on 68 with..
What's the proposed early retirement age? Currently its 62. Compromise on 64 with...
How about raising or removing the cap? Double the cap...problem solved.

SS is an easy fix if the DC morons worked on it. Joe would sign it.

No one believes McCarthy. He is as big a liar as trump.
I see no reason to disbelieve him. When have Republicans ever cut Social Security and Medicare ?
Answer: NEVER.

Next question: When have Democrats ever cut the police ?
Answer: numerous times.

I believe McCarthy. He's not a liar.

What's the democrat's plan to save SS & Medicare? What? No plan? Then use McCarthy's
Yea...he is

And Dems want to raise the cap. Problem solved

By the way...."use McCarthy's" means he has a plan and IS lying

Yea...he is
And Dems want to raise the cap. Problem solved
By the way...."use McCarthy's" means he has a plan and IS lying
Got a link that says the dems put up any plans to "fix" SS or Medicare?
The dems just had the House, Senate, and WH for 2-years and I didn't see any fixes passed, or even voted on.

Got a link that says the dems put up any plans to "fix" SS or Medicare?
The dems just had the House, Senate, and WH for 2-years and I didn't see any fixes passed, or even voted on.
When people claim that "Dems had the Senate" they are being disingenuous.

In order to pass legislation of this kind...as long as the filibuster remains in effect...legislation requires 60 votes. That means that 10 GOP Senators would have to vote with them.

That was never going to happen

OP says cuts. So why is McCarthy lying about his plan?
Sometimes you need to actually read the link to see that the OP is lying, not McCarthy.
"Republicans don’t plan to alter benefits for current Social Security and Medicare recipients, according to Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas).
“What we have been very clear about is, we’re not going to touch the benefits that are going to people relying on the benefits under Social Security and Medicare,” Roy said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “But we all have to be honest about sitting at the table and figuring out how we’re going to make those work, how we’re going to deal with defense spending and how we’re going to deal with non-defense discretionary spending.”
The Republican Study Committee proposed a budget for fiscal 2023 that would gradually increase the eligibility ages for Social Security and Medicare, and change the Social Security benefit formula for people 54 and younger, while not changing it for people closer to receiving benefits."

So the Republican "plan" to save SS and Medicare includes raising the full retirement age from 66 to 70 for people 54 and younger. I don't call that a "CUT" in benefits. Just a change when they start.

My personal opinions are:
1. Medicare should stay at 65. 70 is just too old to keep working for healthcare insurance. Unless there is a carve-out for old folks for Obamacare at reduced premiums. Like the Part-D permium comes off your SS payment.
2. Social Security has two triggers. The full retirement age, currently 66, and the early retirement age, currently 62. Raising BOTH ages two years isn't a bad option. You can retire at 64 with a reduces SS pension.
3. Democrats typically opt for raising the cap on social security deductions, currently about $140,000 a year. Meaning income over $140,000 doesn't pay the social security deduction. IMHO that cap should be rasied or removed, and then the full retirement age kept where it is.

When people claim that "Dems had the Senate" they are being disingenuous.
In order to pass legislation of this kind...as long as the filibuster remains in effect...legislation requires 60 votes. That means that 10 GOP Senators would have to vote with them.
That was never going to happen
The Senate filibuster is not the point here is it?
The democrats did NOT make Republicans vote against fixing entitlements, did they?
So where we are now is that Medicare will be bankrupt next year.

Shoring up the program will generally mean raising taxes, cutting benefits or a combination of both. Democrats have floated several proposals to increase benefits and raise taxes, including one House bill they hope to bring up for a vote this year. Republicans have expressed their opposition to their plans.
OK, its a start to fixing SS. A minimal approach to extend SS solvency from 2034 to 2038.
The object being to get a "fix" that at least 10 Republicans can support.
I hope they negotiate a fix that can be approved.
Maybe 2038 gets SS past the baby boomers????

OK, its a start to fixing SS. A minimal approach to extend SS solvency from 2034 to 2038.
The object being to get a "fix" that at least 10 Republicans can support.
I hope they negotiate a fix that can be approved.
Maybe 2038 gets SS past the baby boomers????
raising the cap kicks the can down the road. Elimination the cap fixes it forever

Forum List

Back