House denies President to Speak (1986) or Pork I failed why will Pork II be better?

Neotrotsky

Council to Supreme Soviet
Dec 12, 2009
People's Republic
House denies President to Speak (1986) or Pork I failed why will Pork II be better?

Thank you Speaker Speaker Thomas "Tip" O'Neil for starting the trend

WSJ:

The June 24, 1986, edition of The Wall Street Journal featured a story headlined, "President's Bid to Address the House On Nicaragua Is Rejected by Speaker." That's right, no quibbling over the date and time, just a flat-out rejection. In that case, President Ronald Reagan wanted to address the House before its critical vote on funding for the anti-communist "Contra" rebels in Nicaragua. Then-Speaker Thomas "Tip" O'Neil said that he was willing to host a Reagan speech if it was expanded to include the Senate in a joint session, or he would allow the President to speak to the House alone if the President would also agree to take questions from lawmakers. Otherwise, there would be no Reagan speech in the House chamber. Reagan already had the votes to prevail in the Senate, and Mr. O'Neil wanted to avoid having the spotlight turned on the House, which would make him and his colleagues accountable to the public if Contra aid were rejected.​

But on a serious note,

why should the American people believe that Papa Obama can get it right
this time on a "Pork II" ?

People might believe him more if he was willing to put everything on the table
including his faux legacy of Papa ObamaCare

Last edited:

Yes

I would hate to think that this would be the first
time the House did such a thing
:eusa_whistle:

I wouldn't.

It was a proper call by Speaker Boehner.

You KNOW this cheesy clown we call the President would have done it AND gotten away with it if the Dims were still in control of the House.

But it IS nice to see that there is Democrat Precedent for doing it.

Not that this will stop the liberal Democratics from crying about it like the braying jackass whiners they often are.

Last edited:

Yes

I would hate to think that this would be the first
time the House did such a thing

I wouldn't.

It was a proper call by Speaker Boehner.

You KNOW this cheesy clown we call the President would have done it AND gotten away with it if the Dims were still in control of the House.

But it IS nice to see that there is Democrat Precedent for doing it.

Not that this will stop the liberal Democratics from crying about it like the braying jackasses whiners they often are.

I hear you

Besides,

is anyone from the majority really going to care what he says

What? blame Bush and lets spend even more money...?

Why would anyone trust him now, more so since Pork I was such a failure

WSJ:
The June 24, 1986, edition of The Wall Street Journal featured a story headlined, "President's Bid to Address the House On Nicaragua Is Rejected by Speaker." That's right, no quibbling over the date and time, just a flat-out rejection. In that case, President Ronald Reagan wanted to address the House before its critical vote on funding for the anti-communist "Contra" rebels in Nicaragua. Then-Speaker Thomas "Tip" O'Neil said that he was willing to host a Reagan speech if it was expanded to include the Senate in a joint session, or he would allow the President to speak to the House alone if the President would also agree to take questions from lawmakers. Otherwise, there would be no Reagan speech in the House chamber. Reagan already had the votes to prevail in the Senate, and Mr. O'Neil wanted to avoid having the spotlight turned on the House, which would make him and his colleagues accountable to the public if Contra aid were rejected.
But on a serious note,

My my...Chickens home roosting...what was that saying again anyway?

Anyone remember that we have three equal but separate branches of government?

WSJ:
The June 24, 1986, edition of The Wall Street Journal featured a story headlined, "President's Bid to Address the House On Nicaragua Is Rejected by Speaker." That's right, no quibbling over the date and time, just a flat-out rejection. In that case, President Ronald Reagan wanted to address the House before its critical vote on funding for the anti-communist "Contra" rebels in Nicaragua. Then-Speaker Thomas "Tip" O'Neil said that he was willing to host a Reagan speech if it was expanded to include the Senate in a joint session, or he would allow the President to speak to the House alone if the President would also agree to take questions from lawmakers. Otherwise, there would be no Reagan speech in the House chamber. Reagan already had the votes to prevail in the Senate, and Mr. O'Neil wanted to avoid having the spotlight turned on the House, which would make him and his colleagues accountable to the public if Contra aid were rejected.
But on a serious note,

My my...Chickens home roosting...what was that saying again anyway?

Anyone remember that we have three equal but separate branches of government?

Quoting the Rev Wright,

it really is a shame Papa Obama threw him under the bus
after 20 years

I remember this. In this case, Tip didn't want to give the president a forum because he was so persuasive. The media also refused to cover his speech when he did give it from the oval office.

Eventually, Reagan won the argument on the Contras.

I remember this. In this case, Tip didn't want to give the president a forum because he was so persuasive. The media also refused to cover his speech when he did give it from the oval office.

reagan didn't win the argument. at least not among anyone who actually understands the violates of law which occurred.

reagan didn't win the argument. at least not among anyone who actually understands the violates of law which occurred.

Yes, the
Boland amendment was unconstitutional
:eusa_angel:

Of course using the Liberal approach
you must be worried about how Papa Obama
abused the War Powers Act

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back