House appropriates one million dollars to a project no one even knows exists

JeffWartman

Jul 13, 2006
Suburban Chicago
Jeff Flake is one of the few good men in Washington. The rest need to go. NOW.

What's in your wallet?

What's a paltry one million dollars to a member of Congress?

Well, apparently not enough to know if an organization about to receive that big block of cash actually exists.

Republican Rep. Jeff Flake of Arizona, the fiscal crusader who's never met an earmark he likes, questioned Democratic Rep. Peter J. Visclosky of Indiana on the House floor Tuesday about whether the Center for Instrumented Critical Infrastructure actually exists...

Full story: http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0707/Whats_in_your_wallet.html

Running Up the Taxpayers' Tab in Washington. A New Website Counts the Costs
By Ken Shepherd | July 17, 2007 - 17:29 ET
At a conservative Web activist happy hour yesterday, I learned about a new Web site that's a great resource for press and public alike, although I doubt many in the liberal media will catch on quickly, if at all.

WashingtonWatch.com is a Web site "maintained by Jim Harper, Director of Information Policy Studies at the Cato Institute, in his spare time, as a public service." Harper puts a dollar figure on the bright (or frankly mostly not-so-bright) ideas that Congress toys with day in and day out.

Here's but a sample from today:

H.R. 3043
Making appropriations for the Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and related agencies for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2008, and for other purposes
Costs $5,868.73 per family

[...]

H.R. 2337
The Energy Policy Reform and Revitalization Act of 2007 (3 comments »)
Costs $24.98 per family

H.R. 2693
To direct the Occupational Safety and Health Administration to issue a standard regulating worker exposure to diacetyl
Costs $0.01 per family

You can sort the information by greatest cost, greatest savings, most popular, or as shown above, the newest pieces of legislation snaking through Congress. You can also cast votes and leave comments on whether you think a particular piece of legislation is a wise idea, etc.

One additional caveat by Harper that bears repeating:

Not all items tracked on WashingtonWatch.com will be passed into law, and not all legislation and regulation is tracked on WashingtonWatch.com. Adding up all the proposals tracked by WashingtonWatch.com would produce a number that is essentially meaningless.

Many of these ideas will not see life past the committee room floor, but they are still instructive as to the spendthrift mentality of our elected representatives on the Hill.
http://newsbusters.org/node/14166

and I thought Dems were going to CUT spending and pork?

Running Up the Taxpayers' Tab in Washington. A New Website Counts the Costs
By Ken Shepherd | July 17, 2007 - 17:29 ET
At a conservative Web activist happy hour yesterday, I learned about a new Web site that's a great resource for press and public alike, although I doubt many in the liberal media will catch on quickly, if at all.

WashingtonWatch.com is a Web site "maintained by Jim Harper, Director of Information Policy Studies at the Cato Institute, in his spare time, as a public service." Harper puts a dollar figure on the bright (or frankly mostly not-so-bright) ideas that Congress toys with day in and day out.

Here's but a sample from today:

H.R. 3043
Making appropriations for the Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and related agencies for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2008, and for other purposes
Costs $5,868.73 per family

[...]

H.R. 2337
The Energy Policy Reform and Revitalization Act of 2007 (3 comments »)
Costs $24.98 per family

H.R. 2693
To direct the Occupational Safety and Health Administration to issue a standard regulating worker exposure to diacetyl
Costs $0.01 per family

You can sort the information by greatest cost, greatest savings, most popular, or as shown above, the newest pieces of legislation snaking through Congress. You can also cast votes and leave comments on whether you think a particular piece of legislation is a wise idea, etc.

One additional caveat by Harper that bears repeating:

Not all items tracked on WashingtonWatch.com will be passed into law, and not all legislation and regulation is tracked on WashingtonWatch.com. Adding up all the proposals tracked by WashingtonWatch.com would produce a number that is essentially meaningless.

Many of these ideas will not see life past the committee room floor, but they are still instructive as to the spendthrift mentality of our elected representatives on the Hill.
http://newsbusters.org/node/14166

and I thought Dems were going to CUT spending and pork?

It's against the Democratic guidlines to cut anything, their basic philosphy is raise taxes and make the people who are well off pay more taxes to support the people on welfare.

It's against the Democratic guidlines to cut anything, their basic philosphy is raise taxes and make the people who are well off pay more taxes to support the people on welfare.

As opposed to Ted Stevens Bridge to Nowhere, huh?

And before you yap on and on and on... your boy Bush had a balanced budget when he came in to office...he sure shot that in the you-know-what.... now China gets to hold our debt. Oooooooooooh baby! Gotta love it.

As for welfare... yeah..sucks helping people in need. Y'all would rather spend lots of money on a war of choice and give tax breaks for offshoring our businesses.

Good on ya.

As opposed to Ted Stevens Bridge to Nowhere, huh?

And before you yap on and on and on... your boy Bush had a balanced budget when he came in to office...he sure shot that in the you-know-what.... now China gets to hold our debt. Oooooooooooh baby! Gotta love it.

As for welfare... yeah..sucks helping people in need. Y'all would rather spend lots of money on a war of choice and give tax breaks for offshoring our businesses.

Good on ya.

Bullcrap... Balanced budget my ass and Bill Clinton did so much for our economy that the stock market crashed before we could get him out of office. Also the unemployment rate has remained the same, if Bush was so bad that would have gone through the roof.

Im not completly against welfare but I think it is overly abused and I am also against someone getting taxed more because of their status thats BS.

Bullcrap... Balanced budget my ass and Bill Clinton did so much for our economy that the stock market crashed before we could get him out of office. Also the unemployment rate has remained the same, if Bush was so bad that would have gone through the roof.

Im not completly against welfare but I think it is overly abused and I am also against someone getting taxed more because of their status thats BS.

*Yawn* fibs and spin, fibs and spin....

How much of our debt did China own when Bill Clinton was president?

As for overabuse of welfare, perhaps some, but not endemically. Are you aware of what percentage of our federal budget goes for welfare? Our interest payments on our debt far exceed anything welfare would even contemplate.

The money is being squandered in Iraq... everything else is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

http://www.federalbudget.com/

*Yawn* fibs and spin, fibs and spin....

How much of our debt did China own when Bill Clinton was president?

As for overabuse of welfare, perhaps some, but not endemically. Are you aware of what percentage of our federal budget goes for welfare? Our interest payments on our debt far exceed anything welfare would even contemplate.

The money is being squandered in Iraq... everything else is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

http://www.federalbudget.com/

Cut taxes----if the government doesn't have our money, they can't spend it.

Besides, if you believe the republican party, cutting taxes will just result in ever increasing tax revenues. But who really believes that?

I could care less---if you don't like the government wasting your money you should be all for lowering or abolishing taxes.

The Republicans are not innocent. It was a Republican who just said on the House floor that tax money was his money.

Dems are out to pass a records tax increase to pay for their record spending

Now please begin to bash Republicans while ignoring what the Dems are doing

The top wage earners - the top 1% - now pay 36% of all Federal Income Taxes - yet the libs want them pay more

Go figure

Forum List

Back