House and Senate sessions today

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
Both the House and the Senate will be in session today. The Senate will be debating the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act, Bill Summary & Status - 113th Congress (2013 - 2014) - S.1845 - THOMAS (Library of Congress). The House will not be discussing an unemployment benefit extension, at least not directly. I am not sure what the House will be discussing. C-SPAN phrases it as "a variety of topics". Why will the House not debate the extending the unemployment benefits? Thoughts? Once again I will be covering the action live, with updates as they happen! Or something like that. :) House meets for Morning Hour at noon. Both houses of Congress will convene at 2:00.

House has not have much happen yet.

Apparently the angle the Senate Republicans are going to take on the unemployment benefits bill is that not all amendments are not going to be considered. In other words they want be able to tie it up with introducing amendments. It was about it not being paid for but since they got that they have to move the goal post back some.

Senator Grassley had agreed to support the bill if it as paid for but apparently he changed his mind in the last 5 days.
Grassley: Unemployment extension OK if paid for - News, Weather and Sports for Sioux City, IA: KCAU-TV.com

His state of Iowa has a 4.4 unemployment rate.
http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/...ment-drops-to-4-4-percent-in-november/article

3,900 people would be eligible for the unemployment benefits
http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/...t-benefits-as-federal-program-expires/article

Grassley is also up for reelection this fall.

Senator Alexander (R-TN) also just spoke, also in opposition of the unemployment benefit extend. He cited the Panama Canal bill as an example for allowing all and any amendment.

In Tennessee 18,000 would be affected by the unemployment extension bill.
Federal extensions of unemployment benefits soon to expire

Both Tennessee senators, Republicans Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker, voted against the extension. - See more at: Extension of Long Term Unemployment Benefits Clears Senate Hurdle / Public News Service

The State's unemployment rate is 8.1%.
Unemployment down in Tenn. in November

"The unemployment rate in Tennessee fell to 8.1 percent in November, down from October's revised rate of 8.5 percent," "Tennessee sees biggest drop in unemployment since April 2010"
Tennessee sees biggest drop in unemployment since April 2010 - Nashville Business Journal

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) launched the first ad of his reelection fight on Thursday, a one-minute biographical spot that seeks to humanize the candidate and boost his conservative credentials.
Read more: Alexander launches first ad | TheHill
Follow us: [MENTION=27326]The[/MENTION]hill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

I hope they find time for another "Repeal Obamacare" vote

Boehner is waiting for the final Senate bill before he starts parsing.

The House GOP will support an extension of the UE benefits but will extract a hefty compromise for it.

And now the back room horse trading begins. Corruption at its acme. Everyone is bringing their bag of "gets" to the cloakroom.

Senator Hatch speaks. Once again explains how not being able to debate every single amendment anyone whats to bring forward mutes the voice of the people in their home state. An amendment he wants to bring for is for veteran benefits benefits and a one year delay of Obamacare. Senator Hatch also took a moment to emphasize how Obama's policies were not working.

"3,000 Utahns lose unemployment benefits"
3,000 Utahns lose unemployment benefits | The Spectrum | thespectrum.com

For Utah: "The state Department of Workforce Services reports that November's 2.9 percent unemployment rate for people ages 55 and older is down two-tenths of a point from October. The rate is down from 4.6 percent in November a year ago."
"The overall unemployment rate for November was ... 4.3 percent in Utah."
- See more at: More Utah Seniors Finding Work / Public News Service

Won another term in 2012.

If 99 weeks isn't enough, what is? Liberals would probably prefer to make these extensions permanent.

Senator Al Franken (D-MN) 6,500 people will lose benefits. Read from several letters from constituents. (What is it that the Republicans don't read letters from their constituents who are against this bill?) Talked about training for technical jobs and education in post-secondary education, but in separate bills. (See what the Republicans have to say about that then.)

"The Minnesota unemployment rate dropped 0.2 percent in November to a seasonally adjusted 4.6 percent, according to data released Thursday by the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development."
http://www.sctimes.com/article/20131219/BUSINESS/312190033/Minnesota-unemployment-drops-4-6-

Senator Franken is up for reelection in the fall. No word yet on when his radio program will return to the airwaves. ;)

I can't really read the thread and listen to C-SPAN but one quick point. Some of the Senators who have spoken comes from states will low unemployment rates. The national rate is an average so a low point in one place means there is a hight point somewhere else.

Senator Paul Ryan is speaking about social mobility right now on C-SPAN if anyone would like to watch. :(

Senator Sessions (R-AL) Talking about unemployment benefit extension would strain to budget too much. Talked about he would like extending the highway bill. I watched this guy in committee during the budget markup. He was all in favor of cutting highway funding in half. That is no exaggeration 'half', just ask Senator Blumenthal. He thinks the bill should be paid for but does not like the way it is currently going to be paid for.

12,000 will be affected by the unemployment benefits extension.
Almost 12,000 in Alabama to lose extended unemployment benefits Jan. 1 | AL.com

"Alabama's official unemployment rate fell to 6.2 percent in November, down from 6.4 percent in October and 6.9 percent in November 2012. "
Alabama unemployment rate falls in November as labor force shrinks | AL.com

Senator Sessions is up for reelection this fall.

Senator (D-FL) Long analogy of football and working with Senator Sessions which Senator Sessions could not resist joining in and it was an Alabama and Florida rehash with much admiration on both sides. :) The remainder of his time he spoke on international affairs and policy. I might create a thread on that and related topics under the appropriate topic at a later time.

"Full-year comparisons for 2013 are not yet available.

But between January and October last year, Florida was still highest with an average unemployment duration of about 48 weeks, said Ali Bustamante, author of the FIU report.

Florida, along with New Jersey and the District of Columbia, remains one of the few places where long-term jobless still make up more than 45 percent of the unemployed, according to estimates from congressional Democrats. "
Report: Florida hit hard by cutoff in federal unemployment benefits | Tampa Bay Times

We'll see how this goes...about time for us all to quit our jobs and go on the dole...permanent vacation!!

But you don't. Why not?

Because I am self-responsible. And I have enough respect for myself as to not screw over others to finance my laziness.
And because I can see the results of the 1960's-70's social programs that destroyed and condemned the largesse of an entire race to permanent dependency.
Course the Democrats would have no problem with destroying millions more into the permanent dole prison to ensure positive voting results.
Damn Republicans...they hate the poor. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
We'll see how this goes...about time for us all to quit our jobs and go on the dole...permanent vacation!!

But you don't. Why not?

Because I am self-responsible. And I have enough respect for myself as to not screw over others to finance my laziness.
And because I can see the results of the 1960's-70's social programs that destroyed and condemned the largesse of an entire race to permanent dependency.
Course the Democrats would have no problem with destroying millions more into the permanent dole prison to ensure positive voting results.
Damn Republicans...they hate the poor. :cuckoo:

You're not lazy but others are? You say that social programs of the 1960s and 70s are to blame. Which programs are those? Are those same programs in effect today? Do you believe by offering less people would do more? Do you do the same with you children?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back