Hot Wheels.

There may be a demand for odd colors now, but in 20 years that demand may be zero.

Or it may be increased ten fold from what it is currently...
I don’t see the long term market.

Baby Boomers may yearn for their childhood Hot Wheels but I don’t see their children and grandchildren having the same passion.

Look kids......This Hot Wheels car has a white interior instead of black.
The reason you don't understand why they are considered valuable NOW, is because you follow liberal economists, and do not understand the mindset of collectors.

Maybe you are correct, maybe in the future, they will be worthless, that is not the point of the thread though. I only find their current demand, NOW, interesting.

Of course the ordinal utility of all consumer goods changes when it comes to collectors items.

I saw the collectors craze in the 90s.
Baseball cards, Comic books, collector plates, coins, sports memorabilia......Beanie Babies

All were speculated way above their intrinsic worth. Most are nearly worthless today.

There may be a demand for odd colors now, but in 20 years that demand may be zero.

Baby Boomers may yearn for their childhood Hot Wheels but I don’t see their children and grandchildren having the same passion.

The reason you don't understand why they are considered valuable NOW, is because you follow liberal economists, and do not understand the mindset of collectors.

Maybe you are correct, maybe in the future, they will be worthless, that is not the point of the thread though. I only find their current demand, NOW, interesting.

Of course the ordinal utility of all consumer goods changes when it comes to collectors items.

Baseball cards, Comic books, collector plates, coins, sports memorabilia......Beanie Babies

All were speculated way above their intrinsic worth. Most are nearly worthless today.

Certainly some baseball cards and comic books are valuable.

Not to me, but to someone...

Stop already.

You clearly don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Coins and comic books are still high in demand. Numismatic values still outstip melt values in many coin markets.

. . . and I once wanted to get my kid an NBA shirt for Xmas. . . I could not get one at the stores, the on-line prices were outrageous, even for current ones.

Next RightWinger is going to tell us that Picasso paintings are just worthless pretty pictures that nobody really wants since the advent of selfies. . . . :auiqs.jpg:

and comic books are still high in demand. Numismatic values still outstip melt values in many coin markets.

I'm dealing with this now.

I inherited several hundred silver coins from my Aunt. The date ranges are from around the 1880's to the 1960's. For the most part, my local coin guy says he's a buyer at about ten times the face value. So, I can bring him ten worn out Mercury dimes and get $10. Bring him 100 quarters and he's giving me $250.

But then there are coins that are "key dates"; those years when, for whatever reason, far fewer were minted. I can sell my Morgan dollars for about $20 a piece. My 1923 Peace Dollar would sell for about the same. But my 1921 Peace Dollar, which is considered a "key date" coin (I guess since it's the first year they were minted), sells for about $150 in today's market.

I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone losing money on gold and silver...

I get that. But, then again, it's all speculation.

In 1959, no one thought a Gibson Les Paul would ever be worth more than the $280 price tag it carried, and many people thought that was crazy.

Those guitars can sell for upwards of $200,000 today...
A 1959 Gibson Les Paul has intrinsic value. It is a fine musical instrument valued for its quality and tone.

Nobody values a Les Paul because it is painted blue while all the others were painted red.

The valuable ones are valuable. Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle. Nobody wants a 1964 Cookie Rojas just because it is rare.
A first edition Amazing Spider Man is valuable not a 1965 Little Lulu

The valuable ones are valuable. Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle. Nobody wants a 1964 Cookie Rojas just because it is rare.

But the Cookie Rojas card isn't "worthless" at all...

How much will you give me for a Cookie Rojas?

1585250313982.jpeg

A 1959 Gibson Les Paul has intrinsic value. It is a fine musical instrument valued for its quality and tone.

Sure it has intrinsic value. But not $200K worth...

Nobody values a Les Paul because it is painted blue while all the others were painted red.

You clearly don't know anything about vintage Les Pauls...

View attachment 315638

Here's one from '64 that was offered at $700: eBay Auction Item 173480153753 Baseball Cards 1964 Topps

I can find Mickey Mantle cards for less...

View attachment 315638

Here's one from '64 that was offered at $700: eBay Auction Item 173480153753 Baseball Cards 1964 Topps

Damn....I used to hate Cookie Rojas

Whenever I bought Baseball Cards, a Cookie Rojas would pop up

I had five or six Cookie Rojas cards and nobody would trade for him. Couldn’t get a Mantle, Mays or Koufax card.....but Cookie Rojas?

View attachment 315638

Damn....I used to hate Cookie Rojas

Whenever I bought Baseball Cards, a Cookie Rojas would pop up

I had five or six Cookie Rojas cards and nobody would trade for him. Couldn’t get a Mantle, Mays or Koufax card.....but Cookie Rojas?

I've got two mint condition 1973 Roberto Clemente cards kickin' around here somewhere...

I don't believe Matchbox Cars existed when I was growing up in the 50's - certainly not in my house.

But the point above is valid about the collector market. Things like this are generational, and when that generation fades away their value will go down to nothing. Few people get misty-eyed about fads that occurred when their parents were young.

I remember getting Matchbox Cars in the late 50s.

For Collectibles to have lasting value they need to be more than rare. Rare does not mean valuable.
Look at Art Deco from the 30s. It has a timeless style that has lasted nearly a hundred years.

I remember getting Matchbox Cars in the late 50s.

For Collectibles to have lasting value they need to be more than rare. Rare does not mean valuable.
Look at Art Deco from the 30s. It has a timeless style that has lasted nearly a hundred years.

True, but not everything that's art deco is valuable...

Forum List

Back