Hot Tub Time Machine 2

Sgt_Gath

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2014
Hot Tub Time Machine 2

This was... For lack of a better word, "weird," and honestly kind of dark.

First off, almost nothing in the trailer has anything to do with the plot. Roughly 90% of it is from the throwaway gags right before, or during, the credits. The plot itself, revolving around the trio's (conspicuously, and unexplainedly, absent John Cusak) visit to 2025, almost came off as being some kind of - strangely Conservative - satire on modern cultural trends.

*** SPOILERS***

Aside from the obvious nods to various technological developments, super-potent designer drugs are everywhere. Sexual attitudes are also depicted as being massively more liberal than today, and this is, surprisingly, portrayed as being more seedy than desirable.

One of the character's future girlfriends starts trying to have sex with him in the middle of a club, and he asks her if she'd rather go somewhere more "private." She responds, "Privacy?! That's SO 2018!"

Likewise, they wind up getting shanghaied into going on some extremely popular future gameshow, which basically revolves around contestants playing "truth or dare" with the audience. They are told to "have sex with a dude," and given electric shocks if they fail to comply.

The host tells them "Oh, it's always guy on guy, or girl on girl. Sometimes (spoken like this is uncommon), it's even guy on girl!! What's the big deal? You guys are acting like it's 2010 or something!!"

The movie's replacement for John Cusak also just so happens to be a "metrosexual" man from the future who, when they first meet him, literally wears a skirt.

***SPOILERS***

If satire was the angle they were going for, that's fine I guess. However, it wasn't really "funny."

They also didn't really commit to it wholeheartedly enough for it to really work on an intellectual level.

Don't get me wrong. There were some funny moments here and there.

On the whole, however: 5 out of 10

I think I saw the first one. There was some funny shit, but overall a big waste of time.

The first movie had a certain charm to it, and narrative momentum, that this one simply lacked, IMO.

The writing just wasn't there.

I think I saw the first one. There was some funny shit, but overall a big waste of time.

The first movie had a certain charm to it, and narrative momentum, that this one simply lacked, IMO.

I thought this movie seemed rather juvenile. Something more for late teens/early 20s crowd. These type of movies don't really appeal to me, so I don't really pay them any attention at all. :D I usually find the humor in these types of films to be completely predictable and disappointing.

I thought this movie seemed rather juvenile. Something more for late teens/early 20s crowd. These type of movies don't really appeal to me, so I don't really pay them any attention at all. :D I usually find the humor in these types of films to be completely predictable and disappointing.

Lol. Well, I've never been accused of being overly "mature." :p

Alright... That was a lie. I have. BUT, that doesn't mean that "juvenile" can't still be funny!
icon_lol.gif

Lol. Well, I've never been accused of being overly "mature." :p

Alright... That was a lie. I have. BUT, that doesn't mean that "juvenile" can't still be funny!
icon_lol.gif

Sure it can be, but been there, done that. I did find the Hangover (first one) to be really funny juvenile humor though. I do like it sometimes. :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back