Hope you like rats...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...or beans, cuz a meat shortage may be coming to a metropolis near you.

Lucky for us in those pesky red rural flyover states you love to demean and look down on...we still hunt and retain a working knowledge of how to process our own meat, so a processing plant shut down only means the inconvenience of a trip to the source...it's only a few miles away....and loading up the pickup. Ever scalded a hog? Didn't think so.

Sorry urban elites. You can just splash some A1 on your liberal arts degree ;) .

---------
Ok...that was fun...but in all seriousness...you can easily live without meat. Beans are great and dried they last a long time...so don't panic. Things will be back to normal soon.

Plus, rat might not be that bad...

You like possum, right? You like coon, right? Well, if you have trouble finding either of them due to overharvesting, you can always rely on what you normally do: Budget Gourmet and your microwave.

Lucky for us in those pesky red rural flyover states you love to demean and look down on...we still hunt and retain a working knowledge of how to process our own meat, so a processing plant shut down only means the inconvenience of a trip to the source...it's only a few miles away....and loading up the pickup. Ever scalded a hog? Didn't think so.

Sorry urban elites. You can just splash some A1 on your liberal arts degree ;) .

---------
Ok...that was fun...but in all seriousness...you can easily live without meat. Beans are great and dried they last a long time...so don't panic. Things will be back to normal soon.

Could be. Just heard that a major pork packing plant that supplies a lot of that meat is closing. Just hope we don't get this far.

Gopher is supposed to taste pretty good ... we have Springers running right now ... quarter mile walk to the river and I can snag meat for a week (although snagging is illegal here, it's easy to land a decent sized fish that way) ...

You like possum, right? You like coon, right? Well, if you have trouble finding either of them due to overharvesting, you can always rely on what you normally do: Budget Gourmet and your microwave.
I prefer rabbit and squirrel. Possum isn't good and Coon is too fatty.

Might try raising some rabbits though. And there's always fishing.

I had raccoon once. Couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for two days. It was like a thin layer of plastic film attached to the roof of my mouth.

Sure. Microwave. If you can find any frozen dinners to actually do that with.

I had raccoon once. Couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for two days. It was like a thin layer of plastic film attached to the roof of my mouth.

Sure. Microwave. If you can find any frozen dinners to actually do that with.
LOL that reminded me of the raccoon commercial where the one raccoon tastes some nasty stuff from the garbage and says exactly what you said.

Gopher is supposed to taste pretty good ... we have Springers running right now ... quarter mile walk to the river and I can snag meat for a week (although snagging is illegal here, it's easy to land a decent sized fish that way) ...
Never tried gopher. We can bow fish out here. If you haven't tried it you're missing out. But if I'm out for food, hard to beat a trotline or jug-fishing.

Hmmm I live trap pack rats and let them go in the desert. Anyone have any yummy rat recipes?

Throw 'em in Brunswick Stew.

How bad could it be?

Hmmm I live trap pack rats and let them go in the desert. Anyone have any yummy rat recipes?

Throw 'em in Brunswick Stew.

How bad could it be?

Now this I've had, and it was tasty. Hunter friend of mine is big on this stew. And the meat didn't leave a weird taste in your mouth. Had a guy in our dormitory (circa 1983) that used to make Squirrel Pie.
Veggies and squirrel...mmm...mmm.

We eat small portions of meat maybe twice a week at my house. Usually in the form of a meat ravioli or ingredient in soup or stew. Meat eaters are not excited about our soups and stews. Very small amounts of meat.

---------

Scalded hog.... be careful . They'll think you said "Dog" and put you on ignore or call you a Micom.
Oh... Add a good bit of salt to that water and bring that boil up to 220 or so :eusa_shhh: It'll sluff of easier too with less blade pressure

---------

Funny isn't it? For all the shade they throw at us "flyover states" I can walk into my backyard and find food if TSHTF. Let's see how far their elitist mentality carries them in their concrete jungles.

We eat small portions of meat maybe twice a week at my house. Usually in the form of a meat ravioli or ingredient in soup or stew. Meat eaters are not excited about our soups and stews. Very small amounts of meat.
Honestly that's likely the healthiest course if current nutritional health science is accurate.

---------

Funny isn't it? For all the shade they throw at us "flyover states" I can walk into my backyard and find food if TSHTF. Let's see how far their elitist mentality carries them in their concrete jungles.
Don't know about where you live...but morels will be poking their heads up pretty soon in my neck of the woods. :eusa_dance:

---------

Don't know about where you live...but morels will be poking their heads up pretty soon in my neck of the woods.

Upper Midwest.

Pretty soon we'll be laden with wild turkeys, ducks, and geese. Possum and coon as well - I don't typically eat these but if push came to shove there's plenty around. I can sit on my back deck and pick off all kinds of critters :)

Honestly that's likely the healthiest course if current nutritional health science is accurate.
I do enjoy going to a bar-b-que one, two, or three times during summer, usually Memorial Day and July 4, and maybe labor day. I had a medium size Ribeye served to me at friends recently and could only eat half of it. First streak in probably two years. I can wait for another two.

Forum List

Back