Honor the 'mothers' of early Christianity during Women's History Month

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Women's History Month is a great time to celebrate the "mothers" of our Christian church. Until recently, few realized that early female believers shaped our church's future no less than their better-known brothers (aka the "fathers of the church").

On Feb. 14, 2007, Pope Benedict XVI made the rather remarkable statement that " without the generous contribution of many women, the history of Christianity would have developed very differently," and that the female presence was not "in any way secondary."

Some early church mothers are relatively well-known while others are all but forgotten. Early writings and funerary inscriptions testify that women served as prophets, evangelists, missionaries, teachers, deacons, presbyters, enrolled widows, and heads of house churches and monasteries.

Marcella, Paula, Melania the Elder, Melania the Younger and Macrina exercised considerable authority in ancient Christianity. Marcella founded a sort of urban monastery and study group in in Rome that greatly benefited — and benefited from — Jerome's biblical erudition. When Jerome left for Jerusalem in 385, Rome's priests began to seek out Marcella for help in understanding the biblical texts.

I think there are several fascinating women in early Christianity and I'm always a bit surprised they aren't mentioned much in articles.

Helena was really the Mother of Female Archeology. She went to the Holy Land and led an expedition to recover many of the artifacts of the Christian faith, most notably the Cross of Christ.

We have done this before. I'm thinking she scammed a bunch of people and this occurred right after Constantine killed his son and his second wife. It is more of a distraction: Nice shiny object over here, folks.

Women's History Month is a great time to celebrate the "mothers" of our Christian church. Until recently, few realized that early female believers shaped our church's future no less than their better-known brothers (aka the "fathers of the church").

On Feb. 14, 2007, Pope Benedict XVI made the rather remarkable statement that " without the generous contribution of many women, the history of Christianity would have developed very differently," and that the female presence was not "in any way secondary."

Some early church mothers are relatively well-known while others are all but forgotten. Early writings and funerary inscriptions testify that women served as prophets, evangelists, missionaries, teachers, deacons, presbyters, enrolled widows, and heads of house churches and monasteries.

Marcella, Paula, Melania the Elder, Melania the Younger and Macrina exercised considerable authority in ancient Christianity. Marcella founded a sort of urban monastery and study group in in Rome that greatly benefited — and benefited from — Jerome's biblical erudition. When Jerome left for Jerusalem in 385, Rome's priests began to seek out Marcella for help in understanding the biblical texts.

I think there are several fascinating women in early Christianity and I'm always a bit surprised they aren't mentioned much in articles.
Are White women included in the Woman's History Month?

"On Feb. 14, 2007, Pope Benedict XVI made the rather remarkable statement that " without the generous contribution of many women, the history of Christianity would have developed very differently," and that the female presence was not "in any way secondary."" Remarkable only in that his pants didn't catch on fire.

"On Feb. 14, 2007, Pope Benedict XVI made the rather remarkable statement that " without the generous contribution of many women, the history of Christianity would have developed very differently," and that the female presence was not "in any way secondary."" Remarkable only in that his pants didn't catch on fire.

What are we calling white? Early Christianity was largely developed in what we call the Middle East and primarily after the shift from Rome to Constantinople. You're looking at about the 4th century. Christology was not fully developed at that time.

What are we calling white? Early Christianity was largely developed in what we call the Middle East and primarily after the shift from Rome to Constantinople. You're looking at about the 4th century. Christology was not fully developed at that time.
So that's a no. Got it. Pretty woke back then as well, lol.

Well, Christianity was a top down religion. That's first. It was never a bottom up religion.

By the fourth and fifth century and that shift to what we call the Byzantine Empire you see lots of rich women that give the church all their money and land so that they can get out of being forced into a/another marriage. Before that, you have some women that are out there in the mix preaching etc. The heavy patriarchy that you are looking for comes in a bit later and much of it is to control wealthy women and property. You're welcome.

Last edited:

Well, Christianity was a top down religion. That's first. It was never a bottom up religion.

By the fourth and fifth century and that shift to what we call the Byzantine Empire you see lots of rich women that give the church all their money and land so that they can get out of being forced into a/another marriage. Before that, you have some women that are out there in the mix preaching etc. The heavy patriarchy that you are looking for comes in a bit later and much of it is to control wealthy women and property. You're welcome.
So the church stole women’s money. Nice religion you have there.

So the church stole women’s money. Nice religion you have there.
No. They gave it in exchange. The "State" (pardon the terminology) had an interest in forced marriages and controlling the wealth.

I am an atheist.

Xianity is an Asian concept that was transmitted along the Silk Road as early as 3,000 B.C. The island, Yezo (Hokkaido) links the Sea of Japan to those seen walking on the water when it was shallow, and some of these were indeed women. In Kistemaker’s The Chinese Sky During the Han, his B.C. star-charts show, in the constellation Lupus, the asterism Jizu ‘a group of soldiers.’ Christianity in the West is a mimicking of Asian star lore, and taoist scholar, Livia Kohn, is clued up: ”It’s just that I’ve got a ‘hang-up’ about Ti Tsang, who saved little children from the underworld.”

I am an atheist.
So you say that god doesn't exist?
Are you having difficulty with the definition of atheism, Taz? or We are not the same?

It's not a secret. I have posted this many times on this forum. I don't usually engage in debates on the interpretation of texts in the New Testament. I also don't usually engage in debates on whether or not there is proof of God or Jesus. It's boring. It pisses everyone off. People are vile. Waste of my time.

Now, I can discuss the history of early Christianity all day long. Ya run right into it if you study the Roman Empire, late antiquity, etc. and even later on early middle ages,

Forum List

Back