Hong Kong Postpones Elections By a Year, Citing Coronavirus

Alexandre Fedorovski

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2017
1596314108210.png

Hong Kong Chief Executive speaks during a press-conference.

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam announced Friday that the government will postpone highly anticipated legislative elections by one year, citing a worsening coronavirus outbreak in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.

The Hong Kong government is invoking an emergency ordinance in delaying the elections. Lam said the government has the support of the Chinese government in making the decision to hold the elections on Sept. 5, 2021.

“The announcement I have to make today is the most difficult decision I’ve had to make in the past seven months,” Lam said at a news conference.

“We want to ensure fairness and public safety and health, and need to make sure the election is held in an open, fair and impartial manner. This decision is therefore essential,” she said.

The postponement is a setback for the pro-democracy opposition, which was hoping to capitalize on disenchantment with the current pro-Beijing majority to make gains. A group of 22 lawmakers issued a statement ahead of the announcement accusing the government of using the outbreak as an excuse to delay the vote.

Question from the author:

ARE WE Worse than Hong Kong ???

Or are the Democrats afraid that Biden will end up in the hospice or leave us earlier ???

View attachment 370025

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam announced Friday that the government will postpone highly anticipated legislative elections by one year, citing a worsening coronavirus outbreak in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.

The Hong Kong government is invoking an emergency ordinance in delaying the elections. Lam said the government has the support of the Chinese government in making the decision to hold the elections on Sept. 5, 2021.

“The announcement I have to make today is the most difficult decision I’ve had to make in the past seven months,” Lam said at a news conference.

“We want to ensure fairness and public safety and health, and need to make sure the election is held in an open, fair and impartial manner. This decision is therefore essential,” she said.

The postponement is a setback for the pro-democracy opposition, which was hoping to capitalize on disenchantment with the current pro-Beijing majority to make gains. A group of 22 lawmakers issued a statement ahead of the announcement accusing the government of using the outbreak as an excuse to delay the vote.

Or are the Democrats afraid that Biden will end up in the hospice or leave us earlier ???
Hong Kong does not seem vary autonomous to me. Sounds like puppeteer influence from China and politicians recognizing the writing on the and not wanting to be disappeared by the Communist Chinese powers.

View attachment 370025

Hong Kong does not seem vary autonomous to me. Sounds like puppeteer influence from China and politicians recognizing the writing on the and not wanting to be disappeared by the Communist Chinese powers.

So WHAT?!

No. We are better than China.

Well, if it is claimed by the CNN, the New York Times or a pastor is a Rebbie at church, it's not a fact.

If we are BETTER, why are we importing everything from China ???!
So you are saying we cant have a better system of governance than a country from which we buy a lot of goods? Huh? The answer is...turtle pancake.

View attachment 370025

So WHAT?!
Are you asking if we are worse than Hong Kong. I prefer our situation, than to be subject to the Communist Chinese Government in power on the attached Communist Chinese mainland, so we are definitely better.

If you are asking if the Democrats are afraid Biden will end up in a hospice or leave us earlier, NO. We have a plan for transition of government that has happened twice (once due to death by assasination/once due to corrupt president leaving office passing the office to Ford, since I have been alive and saw it handled. I am not a Democrat, but I also do not anticipate an emergency transition, and know how they work. Would not have hurt my feelings if we had had an emergency transition under this current president. Pence ain't much, but I prefer him to Donnie Dumb Butt.

No. We are better than China.

Well, if it is claimed by the CNN, the New York Times or a pastor is a Rebbie at church, it's not a fact.

If we are BETTER, why are we importing everything from China ???!
So you are saying we cant have a better system of governance than a country from which we buy a lot of goods? Huh? The answer is...turtle pancake.

No, you wrote that we are BETTER than China.
And I expressed my lack of understanding of HOW we can be BETTER than China with that terrible trade deficit with this country.

We, like Russia, send RAW MATERIALS to China - plastic and glass bottles, used cardboard, scrap metal, and we receive - Dreamliner wings, complex electronic equipment, machine tools, communication means... Just asking.

And in China, there is no third attempt in a year to carry out a coup d'etat ...

Forum List

Back