Homeless Panhandlers...in the Age of Ubiquitous "Help Wanted" Signs

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My weekly routine takes me past a couple of intersections every Tuesday, where panhandlers stand to beg (is that an offensive word?). If I get a Red Light, I'll usually slip them a dollar or two. How they express their gratitude - or don't - could be the subject of a sizable pamphlet, but I won't go into that here.

For the past several years, the panhandlers have usually been Black guys looking down on their luck. There was an attractive white female for a while but I haven't seen her in months. She had the most pathetic facial expression I've ever seen. Ya just wanted to get out of the car and hug her. I didn't.

The panhandlers I've been seeing for the past three or four months are healthy-looking "white" guys. They are invariably polite, and they have legible, logical signs, printed on cardboard box stock. "Homeless Vet, need a break," and things of that nature.

As it turns out, the corner where i encounter them is near a thriving business district, and there is a "Help Wanted" sign in front of almost all of the shops along that strip - both sides of the street. Some include a starting wage, always more than $10/hr.

What the fuck?

The local forest rangers in my area tell people not to feed the deer because the food that people give them (usually corn) is not good for their digestive systems, and feeding them makes them dependent. Does the same principle apply to street urchins?

Should I STOP giving these guys money? It seems counter-productive.

If they can do this and make a living at it, it's really none of my business. I see them as doing far less damage than most people making a living at politics.

My weekly routine takes me past a couple of intersections every Tuesday, where panhandlers stand to beg (is that an offensive word?). If I get a Red Light, I'll usually slip them a dollar or two. How they express their gratitude - or don't - could be the subject of a sizable pamphlet, but I won't go into that here.

For the past several years, the panhandlers have usually been Black guys looking down on their luck. There was an attractive white female for a while but I haven't seen her in months. She had the most pathetic facial expression I've ever seen. Ya just wanted to get out of the car and hug her. I didn't.

The panhandlers I've been seeing for the past three or four months are healthy-looking "white" guys. They are invariably polite, and they have legible, logical signs, printed on cardboard box stock. "Homeless Vet, need a break," and things of that nature.

As it turns out, the corner where i encounter them is near a thriving business district, and there is a "Help Wanted" sign in front of almost all of the shops along that strip - both sides of the street. Some include a starting wage, always more than $10/hr.

What the fuck?

The local forest rangers in my area tell people not to feed the deer because the food that people give them (usually corn) is not good for their digestive systems, and feeding them makes them dependent. Does the same principle apply to street urchins?

yes you should stop giving them money,, all youre doing is prolonging their suffering and giving them a reason to not stand on their own two feet,,

for a real homeless person there are homeless shelters that provide more for them than you can provide on the street corner

so youre just trolling again,, figures,,

I stated my opinion. That's what we do here. Unless someone agree's with you they are trolling?

It's none of my business what the OP decides to do. Are you not able to understand that simple concept?

I stated my opinion. That's what we do here. Unless someone agree's with you they are trolling?

It's none of my business what the OP decides to do. Are you not able to understand that simple concept?
you gave your opinion on nothing he asked about,,

you gave your opinion on nothing he asked about,,

I did. You just didn't like it. If people can stand on a corner and make a living they aren't harming me. If the OP wants to contribute they can, if they don't wish to, don't.

One is not obligated to contribute any more than if you didn't want to buy a hamburger they may be flipping otherwise.

I did. You just didn't like it. If people can stand on a corner and make a living they aren't harming me. If the OP wants to contribute they can, if they don't wish to, don't.

One is not obligated to contribute any more than if you didn't want to buy a hamburger they may be flipping otherwise.
when did I say I dont like it??

I also believe in live and let die by their own hand,,

as long as they are not on the government tit they can do as they please,,

Having lived my entire adult life in the SF-Berkeley-Oakland triangle, I have observed the bum-streetpeople-homeless-unhoused population over quite a few years. A portion are mentally ill and belong in institutions as they are a danger to themselves and the public. Most of them are substances abusers/addicts (drugs, alcohol). Every society in human history has had its bums; it's nuts that we reward them.

What the fuck?

If you feel compassionate towards disposing of your dollars, go for it. It's usually obvious who is desperate and more in need.

Having lived my entire adult life in the SF-Berkeley-Oakland triangle, I have observed the bum-streetpeople-homeless-unhoused population over quite a few years. A portion are mentally ill and belong in institutions as they are a danger to themselves and the public. Most of them are substances abusers/addicts (drugs, alcohol). Every society in human history has had its bums; it's nuts that we reward them.
There is also a fairly serious percentage that just don’t want the restrictions of a structured life. I used to work on Los Angeles’ skid row and got to know quite a few of this sub-section of the homeless. They made a decent to good living panhandling and freely expressed the belief that I was a sucker for holding down a job and paying taxes. People like that have always existed, they used to call them hobos or bums.

One thing nice about a brutal cold environment.
The intersection people disappear for a few months.

I give nothing to panhandlers.

What the fuck?

In my younger days, I was a lot more sympathetic to panhandlers, and a lot more inclined to give them a handout.

Then I hit a very low-point in my career. Having lost my cushy computer geek job in the Santa Barbara area, my wife and I ended up moving to Sacramento, where I was still unable to get back into that profession. In desperation, I turned to an outfit then called Labor Ready, to do menial, low-level physical work, at minimum wage or barely above.

At that point, I figured that anyone who was willing to work as hard as I was working, could make as much money as I was making, so there was no reason for me to share any of my own meager earnings with any panhandlers. For a while, when I encountered a panhandler, it was my practice to try to refer then to Labor Ready. You'd be amazed at how many men, younger, stronger, and more robust than myself, had so many different excuses as to why they could not do the work that I was then doing.

That experience very drastically changed my whole view of panhandlers.

And another nail was driven, some time later. My wife, myself, and a good friend were going on a road trip together. This friend is a woman, of a wonderful, loving, positive personality, who seems to be incapable of seeing any evil in any person. Approaching a gas station, to get fuel for the trip, she saw a rather thin-looking female panhandler, and instructed me to give that panhandler a loaf of fresh, home-baked bread that she had on the car. That panhandler promptly crossed the street and consulted with a male panhandler.

While our friend was in the gas station, paying for the fuel, the male panhandler confronted me angrily, for giving his companion that stupid load of bread instead of giving her money.

What the fuck?
Would you hire them?

Forum List

Back