Homeland Security Wants To Tackle Climate Change As A Threat To National Security

Because you know half of America being under snow during Spring has everyone concerned about global warming and not Mohammed in the next cubicle shooting up your Christmas party at work.

They're right, of course.

But conservatives will do what they always do when the facts are not to their liking. They'll stick their heads in the sand and deny it.

But conservatives should realize something very near and dear to their hearts. If they hate illegal immigration now, imagine how they'll feel when climate change brings massive migration upon us as people flee famines, and an unsustainable living area as temperatures rise drastically and clean drinking water is in short supply.

It's going to naturally happen all over the world as temperatures rise and weather patterns change. In fact, just today I read an article about how Lake Mead water levels are dropping and have been dropping for years already. I believe it's almost a certainty that millions will die of thirst and starvation. But before that happens, out of sheer desperation people will flock towards other countries in droves in an effort to survive.

The same tripe has been repeated for DECADES, yet here we are. More senseless doom and gloom with absolutely no reason for any sane person to believe it.
The evidence is there. If you don't want to look at it or even consider it, I don't really care because I can't be bothered trying to convince stupid people to have an open mind and be objective instead of closing their minds and turning a blind eye to what is happening all around us.
You folks have been saying that for years, yet nothing changes. Oh wait, this year we've seen record COLD. Peddle your lies elsewhere.

Things are changing all the time. You can check Google Earth now in their new time lapse photography to see the effects of climate change in any part of the world from 1984 to 2020. Part of the problem is that laypeople have a difficult time thinking in terms of geologic time which obviously starts long before you're born and continues long after you've died. But 1984 to 2020 is well within the average lifespan of the average person. That should give the average person pause because 36 years is a fraction of what's considered to be geologic time. If you need a translation, that means climate change is happening very fast. My best guess is that it's going to accelerate and happen even faster in the coming decades.

You need to be way more specific as to the 'changes' you are talking about. Nor does the imagery prove or disprove anything about climate much less human activity.

It certainly proves that glaciers are receding and the ice caps are melting.

Glaciers and ice caps have been melting since the ice age ended. As to the rate and visuals, we don't know, because our sliver of time observing has no basis of comparison.

Of course there has historically been a spring and summer run-off period, but it was normally followed by an general increase in the snow pack during most winters. But they're now receding to the point that many if not most of the world's glaciers will be gone in a few decades. That will mean no more spring and summer run off. That will be a disaster for everyone who lives downstream.

Hardly the point, because a lot can happen in a 'few decades'. Plus that's another issue altogether, it takes decades to notice, which means its not really that serious.

It has been decades. The US has temperature readings at numerous sites going back to 1880.

The Keeling Curve told the tale regarding CO2 in Earth's atmosphere during the last 60 years.

And there are several reasons why the trend is going to accelerate.

1. A constantly growing population which hit 1 billion people for the first time approximately 217 years ago right around the dawn of the industrial age and which is projected to hit 8 billion people in only 2 years.

Population12345678910
World population milestones in billions (Worldometers estimates)
Year1804192719601974198719992011202320372057
Years elapsed1233314131212121420

2. Increasing industrialization all over the world.
3. Once CO2 is in the atmosphere, it will affect climate for about 100 years.
4. As the polar caps melt, and there's less sea ice year round, there is more absorption of the sun's rays (which means less reflection back into space).

The one hope I have is for some kind of carbon capture technology which I saw about a year ago that Bill Gates and others are working on. Electric cars might help, and more energy efficient appliances/electronics might help too, but people have a seemingly insatiable desire for electricity for all kinds of uses, and they waste a lot of it.

People, in general, would need to change the way we have become accustomed to living as a matter of personal convenience. The era of one person driving a $35,000 POV some 20-25 miles to work and back every day would need to give way to living closer to work and shopping while relying more on mass transit.

I think the big wake up call will likely only happen when crops start to fail due to too much heat, not enough water, or even flooding.

The current worldwide practice of shipping every kind of product (food, textiles, electronics, autos, etc) thousands of miles away would have to change too. Unfortunately, I have serious doubts that people, in general, would willingly accept those drastic changes, and I know that American conservatives would fight it every step of the way. And even if that wasn't true, I don't believe that oil companies (not to mention the oil-producing countries) would willingly turn their backs on trillions of dollars worth of oil and gas production. I guess the bottom line is that people are too greedy and selfish to willingly make sacrifices of their personal convenience and comfort.
Call me when palm trees return to Alaska.
By the time Palm Trees are growing in Alaska, you and I will likely be dead for hundreds of years, and the human race will probably only be measured in the tens of thousands...and dwindling in numbers.

We are the victims of our own successes. The question is whether or not we can overcome our own excesses. As for me, I have serious doubts that we can, or will, rise to the challenge.

We need to look into what’s happening way down in the ocean.
Humans aren’t changing climate, we are like a few dimples on a basketball
The ocean is the basketball. Undersea volcanos and earthquakes are largely unresearched. . Are we exactly on our axis the same way as 50-100 years ago?.
Focusing on this and not puny humans might have some already known baleful results.

Because you know half of America being under snow during Spring has everyone concerned about global warming and not Mohammed in the next cubicle shooting up your Christmas party at work.

But conservatives will do what they always do when the facts are not to their liking. They'll stick their heads in the sand and deny it.

But conservatives should realize something very near and dear to their hearts. If they hate illegal immigration now, imagine how they'll feel when climate change brings massive migration upon us as people flee famines, and an unsustainable living area as temperatures rise drastically and clean drinking water is in short supply.

It's going to naturally happen all over the world as temperatures rise and weather patterns change. In fact, just today I read an article about how Lake Mead water levels are dropping and have been dropping for years already. I believe it's almost a certainty that millions will die of thirst and starvation. But before that happens, out of sheer desperation people will flock towards other countries in droves in an effort to survive.

The same tripe has been repeated for DECADES, yet here we are. More senseless doom and gloom with absolutely no reason for any sane person to believe it.
The evidence is there. If you don't want to look at it or even consider it, I don't really care because I can't be bothered trying to convince stupid people to have an open mind and be objective instead of closing their minds and turning a blind eye to what is happening all around us.
You folks have been saying that for years, yet nothing changes. Oh wait, this year we've seen record COLD. Peddle your lies elsewhere.

Things are changing all the time. You can check Google Earth now in their new time lapse photography to see the effects of climate change in any part of the world from 1984 to 2020. Part of the problem is that laypeople have a difficult time thinking in terms of geologic time which obviously starts long before you're born and continues long after you've died. But 1984 to 2020 is well within the average lifespan of the average person. That should give the average person pause because 36 years is a fraction of what's considered to be geologic time. If you need a translation, that means climate change is happening very fast. My best guess is that it's going to accelerate and happen even faster in the coming decades.
36 years out of billions of years is your evidence?

What a clown.

You need to be way more specific as to the 'changes' you are talking about. Nor does the imagery prove or disprove anything about climate much less human activity.

It certainly proves that glaciers are receding and the ice caps are melting.

Glaciers and ice caps have been melting since the ice age ended. As to the rate and visuals, we don't know, because our sliver of time observing has no basis of comparison.

Of course there has historically been a spring and summer run-off period, but it was normally followed by an general increase in the snow pack during most winters. But they're now receding to the point that many if not most of the world's glaciers will be gone in a few decades. That will mean no more spring and summer run off. That will be a disaster for everyone who lives downstream.
But they're now receding to the point that many if not most of the world's glaciers will be gone in a few decades.

Things must be improving..............just 11 years ago the polar ice caps were gonna be gone in 5 years. :itsok: :laughing0301:

Every asshole bureaucrat in government is salivating at their prospects of getting their shithooks on some of that loose government cash that is floating around. This will be known as the year the robber barons returned.

This is what you get when you vote in the democrats. Spend, spend, spend, and if you're on the democrats' list of donors then it's time to belly up to the gov't trough.

The truth appears to be that there is no evidence whatsoever that anything and everything that the democrats want to spend billions and trillions on is going to make one bit of difference in GW/CC. They may say otherwise, but they don't really know and don't really care that what they say is true or not. What we really have here is more wealth redistribution, only this time it's not to the "underserved" that need it, it's to the rich dem supporters and contributors to their campaigns.

Call me when palm trees return to Alaska.
Meanwhile.
Two Yemeni men on the FBI’s terror watchlist arrested at southern border

Forum List

Back