Home School Ascendant!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1.There is this rule that explains the leftward drift of society:

O'Sullivan's First Law (a.k.a. O'Sullivan's Law), paraphrased by George Will as stating that any institution that is not libertarian and classically liberal will, over time, become collectivist and statist.

Or….”all organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing. I cite as supporting evidence the ACLU, the Ford Foundation, and the Episcopal Church. The reason is, of course, that people who staff such bodies tend to be the sort who don't like private profit, business, making money, the current organization of society, and, by extension, the Western world.” http://old.nationalreview.com/flashback/flashback-jos062603.asp

In no precinct is this result more evident than the school system. And not simply due to the above ‘law,’ but also because the Left’s deep thinkers knew that this was the way to guide the direction of society.

2. In its most blatant and naked form, there is this admission:

“Leftist: Let's use coronavirus to eliminate 'the family'

'The time of corona is an excellent time to practice abolishing it'
Leftist: Let's use coronavirus to eliminate 'the family' - WND

3. Nor is this a new agenda: This can be seen in Woodrow Wilson’s speech as president of Princeton: “Our problem is not merely to help students to adjust to themselves to world life…[but] to make them as unlike their fathers as we can.” (Michael McGerr, “A Fierce Discontent: The Rise and Fall of the Progressive Movement in America, 1870-1920,” p. 111

4. Same from Obama:

"U.S. President Barack Obama gives the commencement address to the graduating class of The Ohio State University at Ohio Stadium on May 5, 2013 in Columbus, Ohio.

“ Unfortunately, you've grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that's at the root of all our problems. Some of these same voices also do their best to gum up the works. They'll warn that tyranny always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices. Because what they suggest is that our brave, and creative, and unique experiment in self-rule is somehow just a sham with which we can't be trusted."
Obama To Grads: Reject Voices That Warn About Government Tyranny

5. When one views the failure of government schooling…..poor performance versus other nations, plus the indoctrination therein….

“Is It Time We Seriously Considered Homeschooling?”

O'Sullivan's First Law (a.k.a. O'Sullivan's Law), paraphrased by George Will as stating that any institution that is not libertarian and classically liberal will, over time, become collectivist and statist.

Or….”all organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing. I cite as supporting evidence the ACLU, the Ford Foundation, and the Episcopal Church. The reason is, of course, that people who staff such bodies tend to be the sort who don't like private profit, business, making money, the current organization of society, and, by extension, the Western world.” http://old.nationalreview.com/flashback/flashback-jos062603.asp

In no precinct is this result more evident than the school system. And not simply due to the above ‘law,’ but also because the Left’s deep thinkers knew that this was the way to guide the direction of society.

3. Nor is this a new agenda: This can be seen in Woodrow Wilson’s speech as president of Princeton: “Our problem is not merely to help students to adjust to themselves to world life…[but] to make them as unlike their fathers as we can.” (Michael McGerr, “A Fierce Discontent: The Rise and Fall of the Progressive Movement in America, 1870-1920,” p. 111

4. Same from Obama:

"U.S. President Barack Obama gives the commencement address to the graduating class of The Ohio State University at Ohio Stadium on May 5, 2013 in Columbus, Ohio.

“ Unfortunately, you've grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that's at the root of all our problems. Some of these same voices also do their best to gum up the works. They'll warn that tyranny always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices. Because what they suggest is that our brave, and creative, and unique experiment in self-rule is somehow just a sham with which we can't be trusted."

5. When one views the failure of government schooling…..poor performance versus other nations, plus the indoctrination therein….

Yet ANOTHER fantastic post, PC. Thank you!

4. Same from Obama:

Like you actually understand that rambling nonsense.

4. Same from Obama:

Like you actually understand that rambling nonsense.
I DO understand it, and it's NOT rambling nonsense, ya knucklehead, CC (Clueless Crepitus).

6. “…our school hired a trendy new Principal. She wore shapeless artsy clothes, a severe haircut and thick red-rimmed glasses. Her first act was to drag my entire year level out of their classes to a special assembly where she told us we were all “one big family”, …

I may have come from a broken home, and I may have been a depressive and moody teenager, but even I knew this woman was wrong: none of us ‘belonged’ with her or to this collection of buildings. Even then, I knew schools were just service providers which existed to serve and strengthen individuals and families—not the other way around.

Since then, I have repeatedly witnessed this tendency of schools to abandon academic rigour and undermine parents by insinuating themselves into the moral, psychological and political development of students. But it was only after eight years of working as a high school teacher and becoming a parent myself that I finally decided to quit and instead homeschool my kids.

My story is a tiny part of the worldwide trend toward homeschooling. Currently, there are almost 1.7 million homeschooled children in the US, where enrolments doubled from 1999 to 2016; almost 50,000 in the UK, where enrolments increased 40 per cent from 2014 to 2017; and almost 20,000 in Australia, where enrolments doubled from 2011 to 2018. At least an equivalent number of students are estimated to be homeschooled ‘illegally’; that is, without official government permission.” Is It Time We Seriously Considered Homeschooling? · Caldron Pool

7. In Australia, …homeschooling is still the fastest-growing education sector nationally, though the growth is uneven. From 2011 to 2018, homeschool enrolment rates increased in every state in Australia: 99 per cent in the ACT, 45 per cent in NSW, 290 per cent in QLD, and 42 per cent in Victoria, which also has the highest absolute number of enrolments (approximately 5,300).

While many families plan to homeschool from the outset as a lifestyle choice or for better academic results, research shows there has been an influx of ‘accidental homeschoolers’ due to cultural or religious beliefs, bullying issues or having a child with special needs.

This should not surprise us. In 2015, the triennial Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) results demonstrated the “steady decline in Australia’s results since 2000, in international comparisons and absolute mean scores. Australia ranked equal 10th in science (down from 8th), 20th in mathematics (down from 17th) and 12th in reading (down from 10th)”.
Is It Time We Seriously Considered Homeschooling? · Caldron Pool

And here, too.

8. U.S. Students Show No Improvement in Math, Reading, Science on International Exam

Most troubling among the results was that an international performance gap in education is widening.
By Lauren Camera, Senior Education WriterDec. 3, 2019, at 3:00 a.m.

After those results were released, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, who has long bemoaned the U.S. performance on the exam, slammed the K-12 education establishment for allowing students to fall behind in math and reading without fully taking advantage of the types of "education freedom" at the heart of the Trump administration's agenda.

She did the same Tuesday in reacting to the PISA scores.

"The bottom line is there has not been a single study that shows American education is improving enough," DeVos said in a statement. "Scores have flatlined for a decade. Worse yet, scores for our most vulnerable students continue to decline. We are being outpaced not only by our global competitors like China and Russia, but also by countries like Estonia, Finland and Canada." https://www.usnews.com/news/educati...in-math-reading-science-on-international-exam

Singing songs to Obama doesn't count as 'education.'

9. “…rather than calling for early childhood curriculums to focus on literacy and numeracy, educational ‘experts’ decried the ‘PISA panic’ and saturated every subject in every school with politically lopsided and unscientific mental health initiatives.

Many parents, myself included, cite as one of the main reasons for homeschooling their children the now infamous ‘Safe Schools’ curriculums which graphically explore erotic sexuality, present biological sex as a ‘decision to be made’, and relentlessly demonised those who disagreed.

No wonder parents are ripping their children out of such schools, where academic achievement is downplayed and the social landscape resembles a monstrous combination of Golding’s Lord of the Flies and Orwell’s 1984."

10. "I had the opportunity to watch a ‘homeschool’ in action when my best friend began educating her child at home. I was insatiably curious. In fact, I was probably a pest. I constantly compared her experience of teaching at home to mine at school. All the universal frustrations of children remained, but none of the frustrations of the ‘School Institution’.

It is true none of the institutional ‘supports’ were available to her, but she simply did not need them. As I discovered, modern homeschooling resources, specifically designed for the ‘non-teacher’ parent, are abundant and rigorous, and everything I had ever wanted as a teacher. Whereas I was forced to go to endless meetings and redundant professional development courses run by people with barely any more experience than myself, my best friend educated herself using the best in the world, listening to online Oxford University lectures on mathematical thinking, and taking Circe Institute short courses on ‘language arts’.

When her children didn’t understand a concept, she was not forced to give a grade of 60 per cent and charge on with the scheduled curriculum. She could actually pause, investigate and remedy the gap in understanding. “It’s mastery or nothing,” she told me. Imagine that! If her child showed an interest or talent in a particular area, she didn’t have to say “it’s not on the curriculum”; she could say, “well, let’s set a budget and design a course together”. And, of course, her children were completely normal—no more or less quirky than the thousands of kids I had been teaching in schools. In fact, research is now showing what I have since come to suspect, which is that compared to children attending conventional schools, homeschooled children have higher social skills, higher-quality peer friendships, and better relationships with their parents and other adults."
Op. Cit.

"Home-Schooling Taking Off While Public School Enrollment Declines

BY ANN MARIE BANFIELD / 29 SEPTEMBER 2021
When Common Core came out, it showed the country that many were ok with mediocrity instead of excellence.
The political bias and indoctrination have also driven parents to show up at school board meetings and demand a bias-free education for their children.
The shutdowns, the mask mandates, the political bias, the dumbing down, bullying, all contribute to parents removing their children from a school.

Parents are demanding more options for their children. They pay taxes to a local public school that has failed to provide their children with some basics they can get in a private or home school.

That’s why I wasn’t surprised to read this study from The Pioneer Institute.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the percentage of households with children being homeschooled has doubled, from 5.4 percent during the 2019-20 school year to 11 percent in 2020-21. Among Black households, it increased nearly five-fold, from 3.3 percent to 16.1 percent in a year.
“You didn’t have to be an expert to see the negative impact remote and hybrid classes had on learning in more traditional schools last year,” said William Heuer, who co-authored Homeschooling in Uncertain Times: COVID Prompts a Surge, with William Donovan. “For a lot of people who had been thinking about homeschooling, the pandemic made it a good time to make the change.”

"Home-Schooling Taking Off While Public School Enrollment Declines

BY ANN MARIE BANFIELD / 29 SEPTEMBER 2021
When Common Core came out, it showed the country that many were ok with mediocrity instead of excellence.
The political bias and indoctrination have also driven parents to show up at school board meetings and demand a bias-free education for their children.
The shutdowns, the mask mandates, the political bias, the dumbing down, bullying, all contribute to parents removing their children from a school.

Parents are demanding more options for their children. They pay taxes to a local public school that has failed to provide their children with some basics they can get in a private or home school.

That’s why I wasn’t surprised to read this study from The Pioneer Institute.

Is that because of Covid? Or are other factors as well?

Forum List

Back