Home Made Pizza

I used to make homemade pizza once in awhile before I went low carb. Here's the basic recipe from the Il Fornaio Baking Book - it is quite good. I recommend investing in a baking stone for the oven.

1 cup unbleached flour
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 Tsp active dry yeast
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp warm water (105 degrees F)
additional flour for work surface and bowl
medium grind cornmeal for baker's peel and stone

Make a mound of the flour on a work surface . Form a well in the center and add olive oil to the well.

In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in warm water. Set aside until it is creamy, about 15 minutes.

When the yeast mixture is ready, add the salt to the well along with half the yeast mixture. Working from the center outward, with one hand gradually pull the sides of the well in the center until all of the flour is incorporated. The mixture will be very sticky.

Continue to mix the dough with both hands while adding the remaining yeast mixture in small increments. When all of the yeast mixtures has be3en added and the ingredients are well blended, knead the dough until it is elastic, light, and no longer sticky, adding small pinches of flour only if necessary to reduce the stickiness. Do not add too much additional flour or the dough will be too dry. The kneedking will take about 20 minutes, with 1-2 minute rest periods along the way. Shape the dough into a ball.

Dus at large bowl with flour and place the dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a towel and let rise at room temperature until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down the dough by pressing out most of the air with your fingertips. Shape into a ball once again, re-cover the bowl and let the dough rise for a second time until doubled, about 30 minutes.

To shape the pizza crust, invert the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and flatten it into a disk about 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. Working from the center of the disk outward, press the dough out with the heels of your hands, keeping the edges thicker than the center. If the dough becomes stick as you work with it, sprinkle a little flour over the dough and on the work surface. When the dough is about 1/2 inch thick at the center, begin to stretch the dough by placing one handl on the center of the round, grasping an edge of the round with the other hand, and pulling gently. Work your way around the edge until you have an even round about 12 inches in diameter and 1/16y inch thick. The edges of the round should be slightly thicker than the center and turned up and pinched lightly to form a rim.

Dress with desired topppings.

Use baker's peel to transfer to heated baking stone.

Bake at preheated oven at 475 degrees 12-15 minutes (depending upon toppings).

If you don't have a baker's peel or stone, I suggest sprinkling cornmeal on a cookie sheet and then making the pizza on it. It won't turn out as crispy, but it should still be good.

For a sauce, it depends upon if you prefer light or thick. I used to mix a can of tomato sauce, a can of tomato paste, a few dashes of olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and herbs to taste (my preference was just basil, but italian seasoning and or oregano are also good).

I sure do appreciate this.....(handshake)!!

I've been buying premade crust..and the sauce can be a hit..or miss for me..:(

The sauce is what makes it..but then again the crust is too...

Trial & Error...this recipe I'm gona master...

Heading into town tomorow....supplies...Yeeehaaa..:)

Thanks again...

Creek

I make homemade pizza all the time. I don't really pay that much attention to the sauce because I don't think the sauce makes or breaks the pizza.

However, for the sauce I just use canned crushed tomatoes and add in red chilli peppers, garlic powder oregano and salt. Another alternative to tomato sauce is using pesto sauce which tastes soooo much better IMO.

I think the sauce is the breaker, though crust is right up there:

1/2 onion, minced
1 or more cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil (more if needed)
1 can tomato sauce (16 oz.)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
2 teaspoons sugar (optional) it takes out the bitterness of the tomato
1 teaspoon basil - dried
1 teaspoon oregano - dried
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Mince onion and garlic. Saute in olive oil until onion is clear and tender. Add rest of the ingredients to skillet and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Makes enough sauce for 2 pizzas. Also makes a nice sauce for breadsticks and calzones.

All that only makes enough for 2 pizzas? I thought it would be a lot more. That sounds like a lot of work but sounds good.

I think the sauce is the breaker, though crust is right up there:

1/2 onion, minced
1 or more cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil (more if needed)
1 can tomato sauce (16 oz.)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
2 teaspoons sugar (optional) it takes out the bitterness of the tomato
1 teaspoon basil - dried
1 teaspoon oregano - dried
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Mince onion and garlic. Saute in olive oil until onion is clear and tender. Add rest of the ingredients to skillet and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Makes enough sauce for 2 pizzas. Also makes a nice sauce for breadsticks and calzones.

THIS SOUNDS....DAM GOOD!!!

I'm gona do this tomorow......I feel like a bear now...Roar!!..:)

Pizza..:)

Thanks..:)

Creek

I make homemade pizza all the time. I don't really pay that much attention to the sauce because I don't think the sauce makes or breaks the pizza.

However, for the sauce I just use canned crushed tomatoes and add in red chilli peppers, garlic powder oregano and salt. Another alternative to tomato sauce is using pesto sauce which tastes soooo much better IMO.

Puddles..How can your little soft tummy handle a pizza..(smile)...That is a CUTE baby smile...Oooh man..:)

Thanks Puddles...gona buy this version tomorow as well....Made my tummy growl...Roooar..:)...Don't be scared puddles...This is so cute....(huge smile).

Creek..:)

Thanks..:)

what is everyone's favorite sauce? I usually stick to the traditional brands but want to try something a little more expensive

Forum List

Back