Holy Ghost Filled?

Sublimating

Mar 23, 2010
This is a simple question for Christians.

Acts 19:2 King James Version

He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

I don't want to debate people about their infilling experience. If you're filled you're filled I don't judge but I do look for fruit, but the reason I ask is because being born again was the most remarkable unforgettable experience of my life and I don't find many say the same.
when I received the gift of the Holy Spirit it was as though I was caught away up into heaven and as a child is blind and dumb in it's mothers womb so there was I also.
I was overcome with Joy unspeakable full of glory and for the time, an absolute absence of want. It was beautiful and the gift to me to know that my spirit was so nigh unto God. I was reborn there in the newness of life and I have not embellished but tried only to put into words something I have thought about for twenty one years.

So when I asked Christians "have you received the Holy Ghost? it is not with judgment but I feel sadness when they say "of course" and move one to other topics. I guess I want to know if anyone else has experienced this...

Most of my mother's side of the family is hardcore apostolic/pentecostal. And when I say hardcore I mean old school, Jesus name, tongue talkin, holy rollin, women only wear dresses, in church everyday, holiness or Hell kind of hardcore. They hail largely from the southern midwest (Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee). I grew up attending an old apostolic church in central Mississippi where my mother's cousin was the senior pastor. I got baptized at age 12, after they baptized me, they put a microphone in my face and told me to speak in tongues. Nothing happened, so they told me to say "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus," over and over as fast as I possibly could (I'm not joking, lol).

I "spoke in tongues", just to get the microphone out of my face, probably shouldn't have, but I was hungry and we'd been in that hot church for three hours. I was overcome with the smell of the string beans, fried catfish, mac & cheese, pork & beans, and potato salad I had waiting at home. Little did I know that the twelve year old mini "church heathen" getting baptized and "speaking in tongues" was cause for a celebration that had all of the 70 church members at the 11am service going into an emotional fit. Except for my mother who was smart enough to know I was faking and sat in her seat shaking her head with a smile, probably thinking that boy is just like his mama, because knowing her she probably did the same thing when she was little. So church lasted another 20 minutes as the emotional frenzy calmed down. I did finally get to eat, I remember though I was really having a really unlucky day because my mother let my uncle Sharon pray and he liked to pray for everything on Earth BUT the food. But, I guess that was my "born again" experience. Hehehe.

I'm currently a loosely affiliated Seventh-Day Adventist. I believe in the gifts of the set apart (Holy) Spirit, not to big on the emotional hysteria of the pentecostal/apostolic church. Prophesy I believe in, tongues I believe in somewhat. As for my family, they're all still pretty much big time Apostolics. I respect their zeal, I just disagree with it.

Most of my mother's side of the family is hardcore apostolic/pentecostal. And when I say hardcore I mean old school, Jesus name, tongue talkin, holy rollin, women only wear dresses, in church everyday, holiness or Hell kind of hardcore. They hail largely from the southern midwest (Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee). I grew up attending an old apostolic church in central Mississippi where my mother's cousin was the senior pastor. I got baptized at age 12, after they baptized me, they put a microphone in my face and told me to speak in tongues. Nothing happened, so they told me to say "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus," over and over as fast as I possibly could (I'm not joking, lol).

I "spoke in tongues", just to get the microphone out of my face, probably shouldn't have, but I was hungry and we'd been in that hot church for three hours. I was overcome with the smell of the string beans, fried catfish, mac & cheese, pork & beans, and potato salad I had waiting at home. Little did I know that the twelve year old mini "church heathen" getting baptized and "speaking in tongues" was cause for a celebration that had all of the 70 church members at the 11am service going into an emotional fit. Except for my mother who was smart enough to know I was faking and sat in her seat shaking her head with a smile, probably thinking that boy is just like his mama, because knowing her she probably did the same thing when she was little. So church lasted another 20 minutes as the emotional frenzy calmed down. I did finally get to eat, I remember though I was really having a really unlucky day because my mother let my uncle Sharon pray and he liked to pray for everything on Earth BUT the food. But, I guess that was my "born again" experience. Hehehe.

I'm currently a loosely affiliated Seventh-Day Adventist. I believe in the gifts of the set apart (Holy) Spirit, not to big on the emotional hysteria of the pentecostal/apostolic church. Prophesy I believe in, tongues I believe in somewhat. As for my family, they're all still pretty much big time Apostolics. I respect their zeal, I just disagree with it.

This is quite possibly one of the funniest church related stories I have ever heard. You have a gift for straight forward hilarity.

Forum List

Back