Holy Education, Batman!

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
James Franco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dissatisfied with his career's direction,[2] Franco reenrolled at UCLA in the fall of 2006 as an English major with a creative writing concentration. He received permission to take as many as 62 course credits per quarter compared to the normal limit of 19,[98] while still continuing to act. He received his undergraduate degree in June 2008 with a GPA over 3.5.[98][2][99] For his degree, Franco prepared his departmental honors thesis as a novel under the supervision of Mona Simpson.[2][100] While at the university, the actor studied French, the Holocaust, philosophy of science, and American literature among other things. To continue acting, he would study on film sets.[12]

He was selected as the commencement speaker at his alma mater, UCLA, and was to speak at the ceremony on June 12, 2009. On June 3, however, a press release announced Franco's cancellation due to a scheduling conflict, making it the second cancellation in a row, after commencement speaker Bill Clinton had canceled the appearance.[101] On January 26, 2011, Franco and the Harvard Lampoon released a satirical video on prominent comedy website Funny or Die mocking his last-minute cancellation.[102]

He moved to New York to simultaneously attend graduate school at Columbia University's MFA writing program, New York University's Tisch School of the Arts for filmmaking (NYU),[94][103][104][105] and Brooklyn College for fiction writing,[98] while occasionally commuting to North Carolina's Warren Wilson College for poetry.[2] He received his MFA from Columbia in 2010.[106] Franco is a Ph.D. student in English at Yale University[107] and will also attend the Rhode Island School of Design.[2] The actor opted against watching the 2011 Academy Award nominees be announced (where he was a top contender) in favor of attending class. "I’m not gonna miss class to go and presume that I’m going to be nominated, but if you want to bring out a camera crew to Yale and wait and see if I get nominated, I’d be happy to step out of class and say I’m very grateful", he commented.[108]

He has been accepted to the University of Houston for the doctoral (Ph.D.) program—one of 20 people to be selected out of 400 applicants—in literature and creative writing and plans to enroll in fall 2012.[109] Having previously shown a desire to teach, in March 2011, it was announced that Franco will teach a fall semester course on modifying poetry into short films to ten to twelve third-year graduate film students at NYU. The course will focus mainly on production, meaning that the students will be in charge of creating their own film based on poetry. At the time of the announcement the actor had yet to put together a syllabus, but has until the summertime to do so.[110]

I cannot anywhere near imagine. I didn't go to college, but my housemate is currently going and her butt is dragging when she gets home.

Are there any current or alumni students who can speak to the class load he's carrying?

Must be a joke. The homework load for a person doing writing classes even at 16 credits assumes a 60 hour week. More than 20 hours the institution would begin investigation on him having ghosts do all the homework for him.

Maybe he is smart and well educated. He might be doing some of that work, but in order to do all of it he has more ghosts than the Kremlin and the tower of London combined.

James Franco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dissatisfied with his career's direction,[2] Franco reenrolled at UCLA in the fall of 2006 as an English major with a creative writing concentration. He received permission to take as many as 62 course credits per quarter compared to the normal limit of 19,[98] while still continuing to act. He received his undergraduate degree in June 2008 with a GPA over 3.5.[98][2][99] For his degree, Franco prepared his departmental honors thesis as a novel under the supervision of Mona Simpson.[2][100] While at the university, the actor studied French, the Holocaust, philosophy of science, and American literature among other things. To continue acting, he would study on film sets.[12]

He was selected as the commencement speaker at his alma mater, UCLA, and was to speak at the ceremony on June 12, 2009. On June 3, however, a press release announced Franco's cancellation due to a scheduling conflict, making it the second cancellation in a row, after commencement speaker Bill Clinton had canceled the appearance.[101] On January 26, 2011, Franco and the Harvard Lampoon released a satirical video on prominent comedy website Funny or Die mocking his last-minute cancellation.[102]

He moved to New York to simultaneously attend graduate school at Columbia University's MFA writing program, New York University's Tisch School of the Arts for filmmaking (NYU),[94][103][104][105] and Brooklyn College for fiction writing,[98] while occasionally commuting to North Carolina's Warren Wilson College for poetry.[2] He received his MFA from Columbia in 2010.[106] Franco is a Ph.D. student in English at Yale University[107] and will also attend the Rhode Island School of Design.[2] The actor opted against watching the 2011 Academy Award nominees be announced (where he was a top contender) in favor of attending class. "I’m not gonna miss class to go and presume that I’m going to be nominated, but if you want to bring out a camera crew to Yale and wait and see if I get nominated, I’d be happy to step out of class and say I’m very grateful", he commented.[108]

He has been accepted to the University of Houston for the doctoral (Ph.D.) program—one of 20 people to be selected out of 400 applicants—in literature and creative writing and plans to enroll in fall 2012.[109] Having previously shown a desire to teach, in March 2011, it was announced that Franco will teach a fall semester course on modifying poetry into short films to ten to twelve third-year graduate film students at NYU. The course will focus mainly on production, meaning that the students will be in charge of creating their own film based on poetry. At the time of the announcement the actor had yet to put together a syllabus, but has until the summertime to do so.[110]
I cannot anywhere near imagine. I didn't go to college, but my housemate is currently going and her butt is dragging when she gets home.

Are there any current or alumni students who can speak to the class load he's carrying?

He received permission to take that course load. That does not mean he actually did the course load. and even if he did some of the credits could have been related to his career. That is actually quite common, even in top tier universities, since they are all about money.

New Topics

Forum List

Back