Hodgdon Shutting Down GOEX plant

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
GOEX is their brand of real black powder.

Effective immediately, Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has made the decision to cease manufacturing operations at the company’s Camp Minden, Louisiana site while evaluating strategic options for the black powder business.
The business will wind down operations while an evaluation process on the future of the black powder business takes place. Strategic options for the GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, along with the manufacturing capabilities, will include a potential sale of the business. All affected employees will be retained through December 31, 2021 to assist in an orderly closing of the site and receive severance commensurate with their years of service to the company.

The Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc has been honored to have been a part of the GOEX Powder legacy and sustains a fond appreciation for sporting customers who have enjoyed shooting GOEX powders.

Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc Announces Closure of GOEX facility

For now all supplies we have for real black powder are imported.

How a gun related company can fail in America is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Colt was bought by some company from an Eastern European country.

That sucks. I was in a Civil War reenactment once a few years ago. They sure hated Pyrodex, for some reason, and used only black powder.
For the most part we reenactors have a love affair with real black powder.

How a gun related company can fail in America is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Colt was bought by some company from an Eastern European country.

By getting sued because people that buy their product misuse it.

not because there is something wrong with it.

From what I've read it's only their GOEX brand being shut down not Pyrodex. GOEX is real black powder, Pyrodex is the devil's spawn substitute...........

Yeah, I'm a snob........ :D
Pryodex is pretty good stuff

I was a living historian and reenactor for decades, BP substitutes were anathema. Beside there's nothing like the smell of burning black powder in the morning. Unless it's burning napalm............ :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Agreed, nothing wrong with it except among us BP purists. The only firearm it truly sucks with are flintlocks. Oh it works well as the main powder charge but mostly fails as the ignition pan charge, it requires higher temps to set off than real BP.

Currently I have 5 pounds of different grind black powder so I'm good for now. As I stated before the European manufactures are still making real black powder but unfortunately when the news of the closing went out the panic (and profiteering) buying started. Now a $18 can of BP is now almost $40. With any luck maybe some one(s) will buy the plant and start manufacturing BP again here in the US.

They wanted to stay authentic. Smokeless powder came later.

Yeah, they were mostly purists who did reenactments all the time. Everything they had was dirty or rusty.

Once was enough for me, wool wasn't made to wear in the Summer.

Yeah, they were mostly purists who did reenactments all the time. Everything they had was dirty or rusty.

Once was enough for me, wool wasn't made to wear in the Summer.
Lol, no kidding on the wool thing. I hope the hard tack bread and dysentery we're not part of the experience. . I have been to a couple. My next door neighbor when I was in highschool was one of the world's foremost experts on the civil war and the Kennedy assassination. Neadless to say I wrote some papers on both subjects in highschool considering with him next door I did not have to go to the library. So when he invited me to reenactment s I could hardly say no considering the help he gave me on those papers.

Forum List

Back