Hoax #483: The Taxpayer Protection Pledge

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Created in 1986 (yes, it really was that long ago), the Taxpayer Protection Pledge for federal politicians reads thusly:

ONE, oppose any and all efforts to increase the marginal income tax rates for individuals and/or businesses; and

TWO, oppose any net reduction or elimination of deductions and credits, unless matched dollar for dollar by further reducing tax rates.

The Pledge for state-level politicians reads as follows:

I will oppose and vote against any and all efforts to increase taxes.

To this day, Republican politicians post their signed versions of this hoax with pride on their web sites.

This scam was invented by a guy named Grover Norquist of the Americans for Tax Reform (ATR).

I am here to point out the YUUUUUUUUGE hole in this pledge. Can anyone else see it?

Hint: The federal debt when the GOP took over the White House and Congress in 2001 was $5.7 trillion.

When Obama took office in January 2009, the debt was $11.9 trillion.

Okay, here's the crux of the hoax: It does not forbid increasing spending.

The pledge only forbids increasing taxes. Therefore, it is a formula for massive borrowing.

As it turns out, the Republican party excels at increasing spending. Especially when they have all the power. The consistently accelerate spending and deficits when they have all the power.

"Fool me once..."

The pledge only forbids increasing taxes. Therefore, it is a formula for massive borrowing.

As it turns out, the Republican party excels at increasing spending. Especially when they have all the power. The consistently accelerate spending and deficits when they have all the power.

"Fool me once..."
The lie was that they knew then that the boomers were retiring. No matter what anyone did, the cost of the fed govt was going up.

Yes, both parties spent more shit on stuff, but only the dems even attempted to raise taxes.

Hint: The federal debt when the GOP took over the White House and Congress in 2001 was $5.7 trillion.

When Obama took office in January 2009, the debt was $11.9 trillion.
And Obummer more than doubled it in 8 years...are you trying to infer that THAT is fiscally responsible???

"Fool me once..."
The lie was that they knew then that the boomers were retiring. No matter what anyone did, the cost of the fed govt was going up.

Yes, both parties spent more shit on stuff, but only the dems even attempted to raise taxes.

so the dems actually wanted to pay for spending unlike free ride republicans.

got it.

The only President to EVER balance the budget was Andrew Jackson and that was back in the early 1800's. He actually had it in the black.

No President will ever balance the budget again and anyone who thinks they will is pissing up a rope.

Hope they enjoy the golden shower.

It would be very simple to balance the budget, and even to lower tax rates on everyone at the same time.

It just takes politicians with the balls to do it. But we demand our politicians spend more than they take in. We scream at them and fire them if they don't.

We have the politicians we deserve.

"Gimme gimme gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it."

The only President to EVER balance the budget was Andrew Jackson and that was back in the early 1800's. He actually had it in the black.

No President will ever balance the budget again and anyone who thinks they will is pissing up a rope.

Trump claimed he could.

It would be very simple to balance the budget, and even to lower tax rates on everyone at the same time.

It just takes politicians with the balls to do it. But we demand our politicians spend more than they take in. We scream at them and fire them if they don't.

We have the politicians we deserve.

"Gimme gimme gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it."

You should send an e-mail with your ideas right to Congress. I'm sure they would appreciate your input. Hell they might even try what you suggest.

Trump claimed he could.

He may but I won't hold my breath. You can if you want though. LOL

Trump claimed he could.

He may but I won't hold my breath. You can if you want though. LOL

how might he do that - spend his way to erasing the national debt ?

Well, since Trump has been in office, he has managed to increase the debt by 2 trillion, all by himself.
/——/ Well if Trump increased the debt by 2 trillion why didn’t he set aside 5 billion for the wall? Why is he begging for it now?

"Fool me once..."
You thin what has an R next to their names makes them Republicans?

Forum List

Back