Hitchens Give Finger to Maher's Audience

red states rule

May 30, 2006
I wish I could have been there to see this:

Hitchens Gives the Finger to Maher's Audience for 'Frivolous' Jeering of Bush
Posted by Brent Baker on August 26, 2006 - 01:13.
Writer/author Christopher Hitchens on Friday night gave the finger to the Los Angeles audience of HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher. As he laid out the case for how it's Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who wants World War Three, not George W. Bush, Hitchens cited how Ahmadinejad “says the Messiah is about to come back.” Maher quipped: "So does George Bush, by the way.” That caused a loud eruption of audience applause and cheering, which led Maher to clarify: “That's not facetious.” The crowd continued to applaud as Hitchens remarked, about those in attendance who had earlier cheered and laughed as Maher called Bush an “idiot” repeatedly: "That's not facetious. Your audience, which will clap at apparently anything, is frivolous.” Loud oohs and groans emanated from the audience, prompting Hitchens to give them the finger as he castigated them, “Fuck you, fuck you,” while the groans continued. (Transcript follows)

Video clip (41 seconds): Real (1.2 MB) or Windows Media (1.4 MB), plus MP3 audio (250 KB)

Joining Hitchens (Wikipedia profile, a list of his articles) on the panel, Vali Nasr, author of The Shia Revival, and former Democratic Senator Max Cleland.

Transcript of the relevant portion of the discussion about Iran on the August 25 season premiere of the weekly HBO show aired live Friday nights at 11pm EDT/10pm CDT:

Christopher Hitchens: “Who wants a Third Word War? The Iranian President says that one member state of the United Nations should be wiped physically from the map with all its people. He says the United States is a Satanic power. Members of his government, named members of his government have been caught sponsoring deaths squads. He's lied, he's lied to the European Union about his nuclear program-”

Bill Maher: “But you know that a lot-”

Hitchens: “He says the Messiah is about to come back. Who's looking for a war here?”

Maher: “So does George Bush, by the way [audience applause]. That's not facetious [audience applause continues].”

Hitchens: “That's not facetious. Your audience, which will clap at apparently anything, is frivolous. [oohs and groans from audience, Hitchens gives them the finger] Fuck you, fuck you. [groans continue]”

Maher: “I was just saying what the President of Iran and the President of America have in common is that they both are a little too comfortable with the idea of the world coming to an end.”

Hitchens: “Cheer yourself up like that. The President has said, quite a great contrast before the podium of the Senate, I think applauded by most present, in his State of the Union address, that we support the democratic movement of the Iranian people to be free of theocracy -- not that we will impose ourselves on them, but that if they fight for it we're on their side. That seems to be the right position to take, jeer all you like.”
http://newsbusters.org/node/7190

I saw it. It was despicable. Conservatives have always held the moral high ground. That is changing with assholes like Hitchens and Ann Coulter.

Hitchens did the right thing. He stood up to the arrogrant Maher, who goes out of his way to smear Pres Bush and conservatives.

Libs would prefer conservative to shut up, take the insults, and do nothing to counter the smear attacks

It will be the last time anyone who supports Pres Bush will ever be invited on Maher's show.

It is rare anyone ever fires back to him and his Bush hating buddies

Hitchens was right - libs value their hate for Bush over the security of the US

If the Republicans ever held any moral highground, though I doubt any party ever held it, they lost that position when they compared a man who lost three limbs in Vietnam to Saddam Hussien simply because he wanted to ensure that the bill establishing the Department of Homeland Security carried out that mandate effectively.

It will be the last time anyone who supports Pres Bush will ever be invited on Maher's show.

It is rare anyone ever fires back to him and his Bush hating buddies

Hitchens was right - libs value their hate for Bush over the security of the US

You obviously don't watch this show very often. Maher almost always has a conservative on the show. Sometimes two. I can think of only one instance last season that he didn't have a consevative on his show. Also, Maher is one of the only liberals that I can think of that doesn'y "bash Bush." He disagrees with the President 99.9% of the time, but most of his "Bush bashing" is simply him telling jokes. Hell, he is a comedian.

Well, Hitchens is NOT a Conservative. Anyone who says he is doesn't know much about Christopher Hitchens. Just because he supports the Iraq War and other WOT, doesn't make him a Conservative.

This shows how one sided most of the populace is. Hitchens, in terms of domestic policy and nearly every other issue, is very liberal. However, the Conservatives love him, and Liberals hate him, based completely on one issue. It's actually kind of pathetic if you ask me.

Hitchens did the right thing. He stood up to the arrogrant Maher, who goes out of his way to smear Pres Bush and conservatives.

Libs would prefer conservative to shut up, take the insults, and do nothing to counter the smear attacks

So basically, conservatives should act more like the liberals that you hate. If you respond to insults, then you validate them.

So basically, conservatives should act more like the liberals that you hate. If you respond to insults, then you validate them.

We train people how to treat us by what we allow them to say and do without consequences.

Conservatives have allowed the "say anything" liberals to get away for far too long with talking smack. I'm not advocating lowering ourselves to their level and flipping them off on national television, however, I do believe we need to start being more vocal about our views. Just do it with more class and reason than we see from the liberals.

We train people how to treat us by what we allow them to say and do without consequences.

Conservatives have allowed the "say anything" liberals to get away for far too long with talking smack. I'm not advocating lowering ourselves to their level and flipping them off on national television, however, I do believe we need to start being more vocal about our views. Just do it with more class and reason than we see from the liberals.

I agree, but it is not happening. Does Ann Coulter define class? How about Rush Limbaugh? These two are the loudest mouthpieces for the conservative message. This is because they use the same tactless methods that liberals are known for.

I agree, but it is not happening. Does Ann Coulter define class? How about Rush Limbaugh? These two are the loudest mouthpieces for the conservative message. This is because they use the same tactless methods that liberals are known for.

You want to castigate the entire conservative movement for not taking the high moral ground because two people dare to speak up and use the same tactics as the liberals. Give me a break.

Regardless of what Ann or Rush do, you have to admit that the liberals are walking around a little shell shocked to think that conservatives have a backbone and are being vocal.

Usually, they are only shell shocked when the votes are tallied and then they've heard the vast silent majority speak. I actually prefer to have it happen that way.......keep them in suspense about what we really think rather than having Ann or Rush enlighten them.

I personally think Ann is too direct for even the most radical libs. Seems they are always shocked ....... even though it's nothing compared to the lies and filth they spew on a daily basis.

World needs more balance and if Ann, Rush and others are willing to try and create that balance, more power to them.

You obviously don't watch this show very often. Maher almost always has a conservative on the show. Sometimes two. I can think of only one instance last season that he didn't have a consevative on his show. Also, Maher is one of the only liberals that I can think of that doesn'y "bash Bush." He disagrees with the President 99.9% of the time, but most of his "Bush bashing" is simply him telling jokes. Hell, he is a comedian.

If the man is a comedian, why isnt he ever funny?

Since when do liberals tell the truth?

You want to castigate the entire conservative movement for not taking the high moral ground because two people dare to speak up and use the same tactics as the liberals. Give me a break.

Regardless of what Ann or Rush do, you have to admit that the liberals are walking around a little shell shocked to think that conservatives have a backbone and are being vocal.

Usually, they are only shell shocked when the votes are tallied and then they've heard the vast silent majority speak. I actually prefer to have it happen that way.......keep them in suspense about what we really think rather than having Ann or Rush enlighten them.

I personally think Ann is too direct for even the most radical libs. Seems they are always shocked ....... even though it's nothing compared to the lies and filth they spew on a daily basis.

World needs more balance and if Ann, Rush and others are willing to try and create that balance, more power to them.

I don't think Ann or Rush use the same tactics as liberals. Why? Because liberal tactics arent effective. And they have substance to the issues they talk about.

Sorry , I can't let that one slide. Rush Limbaugh is not only more knowledgeable about government and current events than most politicians could hope to be, he is also a gentleman about it. You obviously have never listened to his show for more than a few minutes if ever.I have listened to his show for over 12 years almost daily and it is truly amazing how correct he is most of the time. He also has the best sense of humor of anyone I have ever heard in politics. Ann Coulter, although a bit abrasive, is brilliant and is easily one of the best political writers in the business. Her sarcasm makes me want to marry her everytime I read anything by her.

As for Bill Maher, he wouldn't know a good joke if it kicked him in the nuts, if he had any, which is exactly what I would do if I was ever invited on that crap he calls a show. He is the biggest horse's shit on televsion and to tell him and his asswipe audience to fuck off was probably the best thing ever recorded on his show.

Before I am accused of being a neocon I would have to say that nothing could be further from the truth. I would be considered a liberal by most of them but that would certainly not be true either. I am independent, I have my own opinions that happen to agree with the Republicans more often than not at the moment, the Democrats insult my intelligence everytime they speak. So accuse away guys.

Bill Maher is one of the best slap down artists on the planet. He's funny as hell AND he is an avowed Libertarian, not liberal. Anybody who has read any of his stuff would know that. Rush Limbaugh is just a lapdog for the right. Coulter is just a dog - not funny, not insightful, and hardly intelligent. How the hell she got a law degree is one of life's little mysteries. Funny thing is, I read a few of her articles and thought she wasn't that bright - just a shill for the right. Then I saw her on Larry King, and before she came on I thought, "well, maybe I've sold her short, maybe hearing her I'll 'get it'". I sold her short all right. After seeing her on King she's even dumber than I thought she was....

Bill Maher is one of the best slap down artists on the planet. He's funny as hell AND he is an avowed Libertarian, not liberal. Anybody who has read any of his stuff would know that. Rush Limbaugh is just a lapdog for the right. Coulter is just a dog - not funny, not insightful, and hardly intelligent. How the hell she got a law degree is one of life's little mysteries. Funny thing is, I read a few of her articles and thought she wasn't that bright - just a shill for the right. Then I saw her on Larry King, and before she came on I thought, "well, maybe I've sold her short, maybe hearing her I'll 'get it'". I sold her short all right. After seeing her on King she's even dumber than I thought she was....

If Maher is a liberal out of the Chris Matthews mold.

He was fired from ABC for his kind words on the 9-11 terrorists.

Forum List

Back