History Quiz - Who Said It?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
These three quotes are among many others written in the diaries of three people who were all in the same organization. What organization was it?

"I pray that we will see the day as soon as possible when we welcome a world in which we do not have to kill enemies whom we cannot hate." - 1943

"I cannot think of my country before I think of myself, because I am not such a purist or a patriot." - 1940

"To die in the war, to die at the demand of the nation - I have no intention whatsoever to praise it. It is a great tragedy." - 1941

These three quotes are among many others written in the diaries of three people who were all in the same organization. What organization was it?

"I pray that we will see the day as soon as possible when we welcome a world in which we do not have to kill enemies whom we cannot hate." - 1943

"I cannot think of my country before I think of myself, because I am not such a purist or a patriot." - 1940

"To die in the war, to die at the demand of the nation - I have no intention whatsoever to praise it. It is a great tragedy." - 1941

The first quote is from Miyazawa Kenji, The Crow and the Great Dipper. Kenji died in 1932, but his thoughts were published later in an essay by Sasaki in 1943.

The second is from the Kamikaze Dairies but I do not know the name of the person (Kamikaze pilot) who said the words.

The third is attributed to Hayashi Tadao, Japanese Kamikaze pilot.

Right. They were all written in the diaries of tokkotai pilots.

Their diaries chronicle their struggle with the certainty that they would not.

To loa: One did. His name is Chicken Kamikaze.

I believe he was asking about the three people quoted above.

To Unkotare: I thought the question referred to all Kamikaze pilots as your response in #9 permalink indicated.

Anyway, loa can settle it.

I was referring to the three journal writers. I asked whether they lived or died because I realized the question changed how I thought about the quotes.

K.

I was referring to the three journal writers. I asked whether they lived or died because I realized the question changed how I thought about the quotes.

K.

To loa: Thanks for clearing it up.

In any event you now know about the one who came back.

Forum List

Back