History in the making:

pbel

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2012
RAMALLAH, West Bank — The Palestinian president is moving forward with his plan to seek upgraded observer status at the United Nations next month, despite American and Israeli threats of financial or diplomatic retaliation, officials said Sunday.

The decision sets the stage for a new showdown between Israel and the Palestinians at the world body, following last year's attempt by the Palestinians to seek status as a full member state. Although that initiative failed to pass the U.N. Security Council, it caused months of diplomatic tensions with Israel.

Palestinians To Seek UN Recognition In November
"We will go to the U.N. regardless of any threats," said Tawfik Tirawi, a senior member of President Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah movement. "I expect the Israelis to take punitive measures against us, if we win this status, but this is our choice and we will not retract it."

This year, the Palestinians are seeking "nonmember state" status in the U.N. General Assembly, where passage is assured. The 193-member assembly is dominated by developing nations sympathetic to the Palestinian cause. Officials say they are looking for what they call a "quality" majority that includes European countries as well, though Germany and Britain, for instance, have been cool to the Palestinian plan.

While upgraded status would not change the situation on the ground, the Palestinians say the move is still significant. They will ask for international recognition of a Palestinian state in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem, territories captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast war.

Wonderful news! I am all for Palestinians being a full UN member state. The question is where to put it seeing as the Palestinians want to be free from Israel & not a single surrounding Arab country, who know the Palestinians best, will grant them a right of return back to their indigenous homelands. Do you think maybe Mecca would be a nice place for a Palestinian State?

RAMALLAH, West Bank — The Palestinian president is moving forward with his plan to seek upgraded observer status at the United Nations next month, despite American and Israeli threats of financial or diplomatic retaliation, officials said Sunday.

The decision sets the stage for a new showdown between Israel and the Palestinians at the world body, following last year's attempt by the Palestinians to seek status as a full member state. Although that initiative failed to pass the U.N. Security Council, it caused months of diplomatic tensions with Israel.

Palestinians To Seek UN Recognition In November
"We will go to the U.N. regardless of any threats," said Tawfik Tirawi, a senior member of President Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah movement. "I expect the Israelis to take punitive measures against us, if we win this status, but this is our choice and we will not retract it."

This year, the Palestinians are seeking "nonmember state" status in the U.N. General Assembly, where passage is assured. The 193-member assembly is dominated by developing nations sympathetic to the Palestinian cause. Officials say they are looking for what they call a "quality" majority that includes European countries as well, though Germany and Britain, for instance, have been cool to the Palestinian plan.

While upgraded status would not change the situation on the ground, the Palestinians say the move is still significant. They will ask for international recognition of a Palestinian state in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem, territories captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast war.

Can of worms.

Abbas left the government in June of 2007. Does he have the authority to do that?

What if the majority of Palestinians do not want to do that?

MJB: "Arab country, who know the Palestinians best, will grant them a right of return back to their indigenous homelands."

I've seen you post this a few times"

so where exactly are you saying the pals indigenous lands are

it's actually an oxymoron because indigenous = where they are living now, i.e palestine

if what you are trying to say is original lands, then where?

in trying to be clever you are not really succeeding unless you spell it out

what and where and when?

Last edited:
MJB: "Arab country, who know the Palestinians best, will grant them a right of return back to their indigenous homelands."

it's actually an oxymoron because indigenous = where they are living now, i.e palestine

if what you are trying to say is original, then where?

what and where and when?

Palestine aka Judea/Israel was invaded by ARABS (from arabia) who brought their language and customs and creed to the area in the same way India brought english to India. In that sense some of the population became "arabized" ----ie ----they became adopted into the nation of ARABIA------logically they REMAIN indigenous to the land in which their langauge developed -----to wit ARABIA Rhodesia was invaded by europeans------who ------were not indigenous-----and South africa was invaded by europeans who were not indigenous even australia was invaded and colonized by europeans who are not indigenous. The only EXTANT people indigenous to PALESTINE-----are jews

I wish the people who want to be PALESTINIANS----the best-----a nice piece of land in the middle east-----somewhere which is not the WELL KNOWN AREA OF LAND THAT JEWS HAVE CALLED "HOLY" ---TO JEWS----FOR MORE THAN 3000 years There is enough land in the middle east to make a COUNTRY FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE DECIDED TO BE "PALESTINIANS" ----not in historic palestine ------just as there is enough land in the middle east to allow the jews who once lived in ARABIA to live as jews NOT IN ARABIA and even enough land for CHRISTIANS who had once lived in arabia and once been the CHRISTIANS OF EGYPT AND LEBANON AND SYRIA AND "jordan" to have a land for their own------NOT IN ARABIA and not called "egypt" and not called Jordan------well---LEBANON has been so closely associated with christianity-----that I do hope that part of LEBANON CAN BE A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY------Hezbollah can go elsewhere -------to wit-----L'AZAZEL

if what you are trying to say is original, then where?

what and where and when?

Palestine aka Judea/Israel was invaded by ARABS (from arabia) who brought their language and customs and creed to the area in the same way India brought english to India. In that sense some of the population became "arabized" ----ie ----they became adopted into the nation of ARABIA------logically they REMAIN indigenous to the land in which their langauge developed -----to wit ARABIA Rhodesia was invaded by europeans------who ------were not indigenous-----and South africa was invaded by europeans who were not indigenous even australia was invaded and colonized by europeans who are not indigenous. The only EXTANT people indigenous to PALESTINE-----are jews
quite true

but the pals are a mix of all the ancient peoples of palestine

most of israeli jews hadn't been there for centuries

if you count continuous years of living in palestine of all the ancestors. pals win 10 to 1 at least

New Topics

Forum List

Back