Historically, no Antarctic ice shelf when CO2 is above 400 ppm

Crick

Gold Member
May 10, 2014
N/A
An examination of the temperature and CO2 record back to 45 million years indicates that CO2 levels above 400 ppm will not allow the continued existence of the Antarctic ice shelves. The loss of those shelves, even without a catastrophic collapse of the WAIS, will facilitate an enormous movement of land-based glacial ice into the seas raising global sea level by tens of feet.

An examination of the temperature and CO2 record back to 45 million years indicates that CO2 levels above 400 ppm will not allow the continued existence of the Antarctic ice shelves. The loss of those shelves, even without a catastrophic collapse of the WAIS, will facilitate an enormous movement of land-based glacial ice into the seas raising global sea level by tens of feet.

Problem here is you're equating CO2 levels to temperature levels. Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe CO2 rose in the past because temperatures rose. Then what?

Wow 45 million year ago? Antarctica looked like this. I am still wondering if "Pangea" was one whole continent from the north to the south, what was on the other side, because of the land imbalance that should of occurred....Just saying..

1664281377818.png

Problem here is you're equating CO2 levels to temperature levels. Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe CO2 rose in the past because temperatures rose. Then what?
I'm not, that was the scientists. And I hate to rain on your parade but for the purpose of this discussion, it doesn't matter which is the cause and which the effect. They are still correlated.

The Earth isn't static and neither are ocean levels.

Perhaps we shouldn't build in flood prone areas or even more stupidly build below sea level.

Nothing is permanent from natural landscapes to made made structures.
That the Earth isn't static is irrelevant. I could even argue that the dynamicism of the Earth is evidence that the environment it provides us can be affected in significant ways by seemingly insignificant changes in critical factors. Increasing CO2 raises the Earth's temperature. Raising the Earth's temperature reduces the amount of ice worldwide. That ice loss can have catastrophic impacts, just another aspect of that dynamic Earth you bring up. Thanks.

I'm not, that was the scientists. And I hate to rain on your parade but for the purpose of this discussion, it doesn't matter which is the cause and which the effect. They are still correlated.

It does matter, actually.
Because we have two situations.

1) Normal times
2) Now.
In normal times we see a rise in CO2 and a rise in temperatures, then a dropping off of temperatures and a dropping off of CO2.

So, if temperatures rise, and CO2 then rises, it means temperatures are not rising because of CO2 so much as other factors.

If CO2 rises and causes temperatures to rise, this means CO2 is much more of a problem.
Thing is, CO2 is going through the roof, and temperatures are not keeping up.

What will happen later? Who knows?

It does matter, actually.
Because we have two situations.

1) Normal times
2) Now.
In normal times we see a rise in CO2 and a rise in temperatures, then a dropping off of temperatures and a dropping off of CO2.

So, if temperatures rise, and CO2 then rises, it means temperatures are not rising because of CO2 so much as other factors.

If CO2 rises and causes temperatures to rise, this means CO2 is much more of a problem.
Thing is, CO2 is going through the roof, and temperatures are not keeping up.

What will happen later? Who knows?
I don't think either you or me have the faintest fuck of an idea what you might mean by "normal times"

I don't know why your side of this argument has such a problem with this BUT:

Rising temperatures will cause CO2 to rise because increasing ocean temperatures reduce the amount of gas that can be dissolved there. CO2 comes out of solution and increases atmospheric levels.
Increasing levels of CO2 increase the amount of IR radiation trapped in the Earth's atmosphere and increase the planet's temperatures.

You folks seem to believe that both these things cannot be true. That is a mistake. They are both true and both are exceedingly well established by over a century of hard science.

Finally, temperatures ARE going up and the correlation with CO2 is just as robust as it has been through all of available history.

Temperature being completely irrelevant to Arctic ice, right Sparky?

All those Illegals will be swept away!
They will make up a very tiny percentage of those affected. Is it worth it to you? And, since your ignorance never seems to know any bounds, the immigrants Desantis flew to Martha's Vineyard are registered asylum seekers fleeing a dictatorial communist regime and are as legal as legal can be. From my point of view, the objection that you and Ron Desantis had to those people was that they had brown skin.

I'm just curious, are you suggesting that CO2 melts ice?

Can you say dry ice?

Wow 45 million year ago? Antarctica looked like this. I am still wondering if "Pangea" was one whole continent from the north to the south, what was on the other side, because of the land imbalance that should of occurred....Just saying..

View attachment 702161
You Moron.
That's Pangaea 200 million Years ago.
and you used Crackpot Juan Cole.

Actually earth looked much like it does now 45 million years ago.
Except, ie, the East Coast was under water.

1664292502697.png

`

Last edited:

Forum List

Back