Historian disagrees with comparison of ISIS to Crusades

Historians Weigh in on Obama s Comparison of ISIS Militants to Medieval Christian Crusaders - Yahoo

One was a war to reclaim land and access to holy sites and the other is the indiscriminate slaughter of civilians and captured personal.
ISIS activists are extremists.

Whenever I hear people say muslim this muslim that I remind them of the Christian crusaders.

Then they usually say, well they aren't true Christians.

Which I respond, well then ISIS aren't true Muslims.

No acceptable defense exists for the Crusaders any more than the ISIS fighters.

Terrible carnage was done and is being done in the name of their Gods.

Historians Weigh in on Obama s Comparison of ISIS Militants to Medieval Christian Crusaders - Yahoo

One was a war to reclaim land and access to holy sites and the other is the indiscriminate slaughter of civilians and captured personal.

Whenever I hear people say muslim this muslim that I remind them of the Christian crusaders.

And yet you have to go back a thousand years to make the point. Further the crusades were in response to attacks by Muslims not an aggression at all. The current problem is people like you pretending that Islam is nit the problem.

The crusades were self defense against a force that was attempting to destroy our civilization. Obama is anti-American and anti-western civilization.
So what historians disagree? They are the ones that told everyone Columbus discovered America for centuries. They lack credibility.

That should be tempered with this FACT: The Crusades were Christian responses to Muslim slaughters. The Christians were killing Muslims to avoid being wiped off the earth by Muslims....following the commands of their demented pedophile 'prophet'.

That's about the same as it is today. Here we are having to kill radical Muslims or be wiped off the earth for not believing their line of thinking passed down from the pedophile, Mohammed.

What Obama and Company cannot seem to admit is that MOHAMMED IS THE PROBLEM!

Yes, the Crusades were aggression: they had to walk a thousand or more miles to "defend" themselves and looted and raped Constantinople, hqs of the Christian Byzantine Empire, twice.

"One of the reasons why the sefira period of time between Pesach and Shavuot is marked as a period of semi-mourning on the Jewish calendar is the haunting memory of the pogroms that accompanied the First Crusade in 1096. The first thirty-three days of the sefira period mark the deaths of the twenty-four thousand students of Rabbi Akiva in the times of the Roman persecutions initiated by Hadrian in the second century CE. However, the final days of the sefira period are days of mourning because of the destruction of the Jewish tri-communities of Speyers (Shapiro), Worms (Vermayza) and Mainz (Magence.) The Christian crusaders who were to embark on their holy mission to free the Holy Land from the domination of the Moslem infidels found closer infidels - the Jews - at hand. These Jewish communities were themselves very ancient even in the eleventh century. They were Jewish communities in Roman times and Jewish legend traces them back even to pre-Roman times. They were the heart of Jewish life in the Rhineland and were the seats of Torah scholarship for the Ashkenazic Jewish communities of France and Germany. The great yeshiva of Rabenu Gershom, the Light of the Exile, was in Mainz, where Rashi journeyed in his youth to study Torah from the disciples of Rabenu Gershom. The Jewish community was prosperous, well established and seemingly secure. However, the fury of the Crusaders fell upon that community, with hundreds being slaughtered and Jewish property being burned and looted. The Crusaders dragged their Jewish victims to the baptismal fount demanding their conversion to Christianity. Some Jews succumbed, but most of the Jews of those communities accepted death, even killing their own families rather than accepting any form of conversion. It was a dark time in Jewish history and remains as deep and dark a page in the annals of the Christian Church."

REMEMBERING THE CRUSADES Rabbi Wein Jewish Destiny

Muslims tried to lock up the holy land back in the day, and Muslims pushed up in to Europe Spain, Italy, parts of France. Really? Aren't they doing that NOW? Of course, there are the suicide bombers. Muslims, pushing up into Europe. It's part of their disease, I mean religion. I never heard of a Christian, Buddhist or Jewish suicide bomber. Islam is all about taking over. Not co-existing. Islam is the original Nazis. I will never ever co exist with THEM.

'The weeks after Passover are marked as a period of semi-mourning on the Jewish calendar. Among the historical events that happened at this time were the pogroms that accompanied the First Crusade in 1096.'

The Crusades

Yes, the Crusades were aggression: they had to walk a thousand or more miles to "defend" themselves and looted and raped Constantinople, hqs of the Christian Byzantine Empire, twice.
Crusades, aggression? Muslims had been attacking Europe for hundreds of years and through the Crusades. How can you call it aggression when they were at the time of the Crusades invading and occupying Spain and Portugal and attacking European lands in areas like Sicily, Italy, and Malta to name a few? Remember North Africa and the Middle East were historic Christian lands(part of Rome and than Byzantium) with large populations at the time under Muslim occupation due to the Arab Muslim conquests.

As for the Fourth Crusade. That wasn't religious. That was political, and a war among Christians, not "aggression against Muslims". There is also issues of internal Byzantine politics very few people no about. Some Byzantines supported the Crusaders, other nobles opposed them. Long story short, they did not start the Crusade with the intention to attack Byzantium, but to reconquer Egypt. However the Venetian and French Crusaders lacked the financial means to finance the Crusade due to strategic miscalculations. At the time they were given the guarantee of military and financial support from the disposed and rightful heir to the Byzantine Crown. In the first raid of Constantinople, there was no plunder or looting. And once the Crusaders put the rightful heir on the throne, they no longer occupied the city or kept it for themselves. Then, some Byzantine nobles murdered the new Emperor and backed out from aiding and financing the Crusade. This is when the second raid occurred. Unfortunately some terrible atrocities that can't be defended occurred there. But to attribute them to Christianity or to suggest it was anything other than politics and economic issues is ignorant of the matter. The Pope himself at the time opposed the Crusade, because he felt it divided Christendom. Yes there were atrocities in the Fourth Crusade, but this in no way discredits the Crusades as a whole, as an effort liberate lands from Muslim occupation.

Good video on the matter

'The weeks after Passover are marked as a period of semi-mourning on the Jewish calendar. Among the historical events that happened at this time were the pogroms that accompanied the First Crusade in 1096.'

The Crusades
So what? Bad things happened to Jews throughout the Middle Ages, some were their fault, others weren't. That is history.

I don't think those events really have an attachment to the Crusades or their righteousness.

I don't think ISIS is a fair comparison to any medieval group to be fairly honest, as what ISIS does is not according to medieval standards of chivalry or combat - either for Christians or Muslims. That said, Crusades and Jihad killed thousands upon thousands of Christians and Muslims for no good reason.

No acceptable defense exists for the Crusaders any more than the ISIS fighters.

Terrible carnage was done and is being done in the name of their Gods.

Yea, terrible carnage like freeing Christian slaves from their Islamist masters.

Historical truth doesn't matter to Obama, in fact it counters his point. He just has to attack Christianity anyway to satisfy his Assclown followers. If any of them actually picked up a history book they would know about the conquest of Islam throughout the Mediterranean and all the way east to India.

But the Assclown brigade here at USMB doesn't want to know about any of that. They must parrot the lies over and over since that is what they are programmed to do.

I don't think ISIS is a fair comparison to any medieval group to be fairly honest, as what ISIS does is not according to medieval standards of chivalry or combat - either for Christians or Muslims. That said, Crusades and Jihad killed thousands upon thousands of Christians and Muslims for no good reason.
The Inquisition had chivalry? lol puhleeease.

Forum List

Back