Hispanics are pretending to be white on The Census

No we aren't talking about civil rights, but about how racial and ethnic classifications are changed for hispanics due to which situation and circumstance will be most beneficial. If what concerns you is equality, face it, black people do not get to change racial classifications based on whether it would do them the most good.

Except one problem Tipsy...hispanic isn't a race, it is multiracial and Hispanic is an ETHNICITY...you seem to keep missing that.

I'M not missing that. It's the classification actually used in numerous circumstances, like the census, like crime statistics. Eliminate the classification entirely.

actually it should not be eliminated any more than any other classification should be eliminated..it is about an ethnicity which does exist. I am Hispanic, but I am also Native American by race...my ethnicity is Hispanic though...lots of black folks here in Honduras...and they were all born here they certainly can't be classified as white.

Several years back there was an article in a TN newspaper in which a noted black activist there expressed concern that the Hispanics would be made 'honorary whites.' In his estimation that would set the cause of blacks back several decades as the numbers blacks have attained would no longer be adequate. Interesting they should make themselves honorary whites. I have, however, had a few of them in clinical practice and the ones I've had don't like blacks very much. They think blacks are lazy.

Several years back there was an article in a TN newspaper in which a noted black activist there expressed concern that the Hispanics would be made 'honorary whites.' In his estimation that would set the cause of blacks back several decades as the numbers blacks have attained would no longer be adequate. Interesting they should make themselves honorary whites. I have, however, had a few of them in clinical practice and the ones I've had don't like blacks very much. They think blacks are lazy.

Sunshine you are saying Black Hispanics think they are white?

actually it should not be eliminated any more than any other classification should be eliminated..it is about an ethnicity which does exist.
I don't know if I can agree with all of this; but I will agree that if the term is used, it really ought to reflect the term's patently valid meaning, rather than basically meaning "from somewhere where most folks speak Spanish or Portuguese."

I am Hispanic, but I am also Native American by race...my ethnicity is Hispanic though...
It occurs to me that you are of mixed ethnicity, by virtue of being of mixed race (however you might wish to parse the categories).

...lots of black folks here in Honduras...and they were all born here they certainly can't be classified as white.
And you are certainly right there. And being born in a country of mainly Spanish speakers does not make a person of African ethnicity Hispanic either.

I speak English. No one would demand that I am ethnically a Brit because of that.

no but you are ethnically a European...

now that said..it is more than just language that unites Hispanics it is culture as well.

Which is not an issue in the racial classification of the census. Or any other racial classification either.

no but you are ethnically a European...
So are Hispanics. Seriously, look it up.

now that said..it is more than just language that unites Hispanics it is culture as well.
Well, not according to those who use the term to refer to those belonging to Spanish and/or Portuguese speaking cultures ... you know, like U.S. Census pinheads, and racists who leverage such misinformation because they think (for instance) that Spanish is a language for inferior brown-skinned folks who live in inferior brown-skinned nations.

I would actually prefer them use "Brown Skinned Spanish Speaker" instead of Hispanic, so we could all be clear about what their political agenda is; then we could all check off "African Descent"--because that's true for all of us regardless of skin color.

not true. Hispanics are from the Americas exclusively and they are MIXED heritage which means they have Native American..you seem to keep missing that Garifuna are black, not Euroopean at all..or do you for some reason doubt that there are black and asian Hispanics?

Those black Hispanics are nothing like US Blacks or African blacks, culturally or otherwise.

How are the Japanese Brazillians classifed? Brazil has a Japanese population that has been there for generations. I know a bunch of them that immigrated to California and opened up a bunch of restaurants (Brazilian restaurants. No one knows how to make sushi). Are they Asian or Portuguese speaking hispanic? They consider themselves hispanic not Japanese.

Sunshine you are saying Black Hispanics think they are white?

Hispanics are hispanics. Blacks are 'African Americans.' The black leaders in Nashville were concerned that the hispanics would be made 'honorary whites' thus standing in the way of blacks.

not true. Hispanics are from the Americas exclusively and they are MIXED heritage which means they have Native American..you seem to keep missing that Garifuna are black, not Euroopean at all..or do you for some reason doubt that there are black and asian Hispanics?

Those black Hispanics are nothing like US Blacks or African blacks, culturally or otherwise.
The Iberian peninsula is nowhere near the Americas--hence Hispanics are NOT exclusively from the Americas, but rather from the Iberian peninsula. Look it up.

The Garifuna are of African descent, not Hispanic.

I have no doubt there are folks of MIXED descent that can claim BOTH Hispanic and Asian, or African, or etc. descent.

Forum List

Back