Hispanic Students Vanishing From Alabama Schools Following Immigration Law

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
One consequence of Alabama's immigrtaion law: Hispanic students are being pulled out of schools by parents who fear they will be targeted for deportation.

Hispanic Students Absent From Alabama Schools Following Controversial Immigration Law

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Hispanic students have started vanishing from Alabama public schools in the wake of a court ruling that upheld the state's tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration.

Education officials say scores of immigrant families have withdrawn their children from classes or kept them home this week, afraid that sending the kids to school would draw attention from authorities.

There are no precise statewide numbers. But several districts with large immigrant enrollments – from small towns to large urban districts – reported a sudden exodus of children of Hispanic parents, some of whom told officials they planned to leave the state to avoid trouble with the law, which requires schools to check students' immigration status.

The anxiety has become so intense that the superintendent in one of the state's largest cities, Huntsville, went on a Spanish-language television show Thursday to try to calm widespread worries.

One consequence of Alabama's immigrtaion law: Hispanic students are being pulled out of schools by parents who fear they will be targeted for deportation.

Hispanic Students Absent From Alabama Schools Following Controversial Immigration Law

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Hispanic students have started vanishing from Alabama public schools in the wake of a court ruling that upheld the state's tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration.

Education officials say scores of immigrant families have withdrawn their children from classes or kept them home this week, afraid that sending the kids to school would draw attention from authorities.

There are no precise statewide numbers. But several districts with large immigrant enrollments – from small towns to large urban districts – reported a sudden exodus of children of Hispanic parents, some of whom told officials they planned to leave the state to avoid trouble with the law, which requires schools to check students' immigration status.

The anxiety has become so intense that the superintendent in one of the state's largest cities, Huntsville, went on a Spanish-language television show Thursday to try to calm widespread worries.

Does this mean we can start supporting American students again?

No. The GOP already voted against that.

Gee golly whiz.. if the parents FEAR deportation they must have a good reason to FEAR deportation huh Jose'?

even uneducated foreigners know they are breaking U.S. immigration law.....too bad BO and his peeps are too stupid to know it as well...

Well, I'm not going to act all surprised as if I didn't see this coming but didn't the Obama Administration repeal this or in the acts of repealing this? It doesn't matter any more because the Supreme Court has constitutional grounds to repealing such a law; the Hispanics in Alabama will be in my prayers but then again I'll pray for all Hispanics living in the United States and in Mexico. I believe that there ought to be a balanced amendment that would provide illegal immigrants to obtain citizenship; their taxes that they owe will be in debt to them but according to their salary we'll treat them as any other citizen who makes that salary, a certain percentage is paid every year.

I doubt the legal hispanics, whites, africans and asians are doing anything! In fact I bet many are appreciative and relieved the schools will now concentrate on their kids and not English as a 2nd language students!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Well, I'm not going to act all surprised as if I didn't see this coming but didn't the Obama Administration repeal this or in the acts of repealing this? It doesn't matter any more because the Supreme Court has constitutional grounds to repealing such a law; the Hispanics in Alabama will be in my prayers but then again I'll pray for all Hispanics living in the United States and in Mexico. I believe that there ought to be a balanced amendment that would provide illegal immigrants to obtain citizenship; their taxes that they owe will be in debt to them but according to their salary we'll treat them as any other citizen who makes that salary, a certain percentage is paid every year.

Hey man its not only hispanics who are here criminally ;).

And Im sure all the legal hispanic immigrants and other legal immigrants are not bothered at all.

and I'll pray for all the AMERICAN families, schools, unemployed, overtaxed workers, hospitals, welfare/social service offices, police stations, etc. that are negatively impacted by illegal aliens illegally overwhelming our communities....

It's time for REmigration of illegals as well as the restriction of the family-preference visa program to spouses and minor children only of legal immigrants...

Last edited:

Hey man its not only hispanics who are here criminally ;).

And Im sure all the legal hispanic immigrants and other legal immigrants are not bothered at all.

Yup. That's the problem with laws like that.

My ex-girlfriend was born here of Mexican parents. Her entire family is here in California legally. However, when Arizona passed their F'ed up law, none of her family, her included, would go to Arizona for fear of being detained.

And they are all American Citizens.

That's not right.

And to hell with those that paid the fees, filled out the paperwork, waited the requisite amount of time, etc, to come here legally????

The word consequence implies something negative. What is the problem?

Hispanic students or illegal aliens?
The press seems to think the phrases are synonymous, but they are not.
Methinks those that are hiding have a reason to hide.

Good, think of all the money Republicans will save closing the schools. They don't believe education is worth anything anyway.

New Topics

Forum List

Back