Hispanic lawmakers (dems no less) in Connecticut seek official ban on term ‘Latinx’

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Five Hispanic Democrats propose banning gender-neutral word arguing it is offensive to state’s Puerto Rican population

A group of Hispanic lawmakers in Connecticut have proposed that the state follow Arkansas and ban the term “Latinx” from official government documents, calling it offensive to Spanish speakers.

The word is a gender-neutral alternative to “Latino” and “Latina”, helpful in supporting people who do not identify as either male or female, proponents say.

But Geraldo Reyes Jr, a state representative from Waterbury, chief sponsor of the Connecticut bill and one of five Hispanic Democrats who put their names to it, said Latinx was not a Spanish word but rather a “woke” term offensive to the large Puerto Rican population in the state.

“I’m of Puerto Rican descent and I find it offensive,” Reyes said.

Last month, Arkansas banned government officials from using Latinx on formal documents, one of several orders issued by Sarah Sanders, a former White House press secretary under Donald Trump, within hours of taking office as governor.

Reyes said his motivations might be different but he believed Sanders’ decision was the right one.

The League of United Latin American Citizens, the oldest Latino civil rights group in the US, said in 2021 it would no longer use the term Latinx.

“The Spanish language, which is centuries old, defaults to Latino for everybody,” Reyes said. “It’s all-inclusive. They didn’t need to create a word, it already exists.”

More... Hispanic lawmakers in Connecticut seek official ban on term ‘Latinx’

Meh, I wish more liberals would use it as it helps quickly identify them as someone I no longer wish to listen to. ;)

Non-Hispanic Democrats think that talking about tacos is the way to get the Hispanic vote. They don't even bother to learn about the beauty of the Spanish language. The last Anglo Democrat who tried to learn Spanish was Teds Kennedy, and you know how that turned out.

What am I saying? Most of you are Dems who have no idea what I'm talking about.

Five Hispanic Democrats propose banning gender-neutral word arguing it is offensive to state’s Puerto Rican population

A group of Hispanic lawmakers in Connecticut have proposed that the state follow Arkansas and ban the term “Latinx” from official government documents, calling it offensive to Spanish speakers.

The word is a gender-neutral alternative to “Latino” and “Latina”, helpful in supporting people who do not identify as either male or female, proponents say.

But Geraldo Reyes Jr, a state representative from Waterbury, chief sponsor of the Connecticut bill and one of five Hispanic Democrats who put their names to it, said Latinx was not a Spanish word but rather a “woke” term offensive to the large Puerto Rican population in the state.

Last month, Arkansas banned government officials from using Latinx on formal documents, one of several orders issued by Sarah Sanders, a former White House press secretary under Donald Trump, within hours of taking office as governor.

Reyes said his motivations might be different but he believed Sanders’ decision was the right one.

The League of United Latin American Citizens, the oldest Latino civil rights group in the US, said in 2021 it would no longer use the term Latinx.

“The Spanish language, which is centuries old, defaults to Latino for everybody,” Reyes said. “It’s all-inclusive. They didn’t need to create a word, it already exists.”

Meh, I wish more liberals would use it as it helps quickly identify them as someone I no longer wish to listen to. ;)
Wasn't it the democrats that pushed for the supposed "more inclusive" Latinx? Geez, there's just no pleasing them. They'd bitch if you hung them with a new rope.

dead thread
What more needs to be said? The new term that was created by white liberals out of their contempt for Latino culture is, surprise surprise, offensive to Latinos. Let's stop using it.

What more needs to be said? The new term that was created by white liberals out of their contempt for Latino culture is, surprise surprise, offensive to Latinos. Let's stop using it.
I can't figure it out. Ebonics gave us "woke" and now they are saying it is a racist term equivalent to the n-word. WTF?

I can't figure it out. Ebonics gave us "woke" and now they are saying it is a racist term equivalent to the n-word. WTF?
Once you understand that it's white liberals who are coming up with all these terms and not the supposedly offended groups, it starts to make more sense. It's basically a bunch of white people who think minority groups SHOULD be offended and take it on themselves to be offended FOR them. Yes, it's contemptuous, but that's white liberals for you. They view all of these groups with paternalistic contempt.

Those damned MAGA Hispanic Democrats!

Forum List

Back