Hilton, a Very Big Great White Shark Swimming Around the Gulf

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
1524860230409.jpg

It's amazing how far they travel. Appears they hav e no predators other than Man and one has to wonder just how big they become.

OCEARCH researchers have been following the 12-foot great white's route since March 2017 when they tagged the shark near Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Hilton, weighing in at 1,326 pounds, is fitted with a tag that pings to transmit his location when his fins break the surface.

The shark has traveled up and down along the coasts of the Atlantic Ocean — from Nova Scotia to Florida — but he's never been seen in the Gulf of Mexico before. He's been in the waters for nearly two weeks now.

From Great white shark Hilton, 1,326-pound real life 'Jaws,' spotted off Gulf Coast

I believe that the Yukon River King Salmon travels about the longest distance

The Longest Migration — Yukon River King Salmon – The Salmon Project – Medium

But Donald will no doubt be interested in this bad boy! :D

“I remember arriving, and he was watching ‘Shark Week,’ ” Stormy Daniels told Anderson Cooper in an interview with “60 Minutes” on Sunday. “He made me sit and watch an entire documentary about shark attacks.”

“He is obsessed with sharks. Terrified of sharks,” Daniels told In Touch Weekly, again recounting Trump watching “Shark Week.” “He was like, ‘I donate to all these charities, and I would never donate to any charity that helps sharks. I hope all the sharks die.’ He was, like, riveted. He was, like, obsessed.”​

zggkvmi0stzncmwoyvi4.png

Take that back - Looks like this Whale Shark may hold the record for underwater migration although the annual Humpback Whale migration from Alaska to Hawaii and Grey Whale migration from AK to Cabo are also amazing. From just two days ago:

Little is known about the world's largest living fish, gentle giants reaching 12 meters (40 feet) in length. Researchers from the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) and colleagues tracked a female whale shark from the eastern Pacific to the western Indo-Pacific for 20,142 kilometers (more than 12,000 miles), the longest whale shark migration route ever recorded.​

Whale shark logs longest-recorded trans-Pacific migration

Last edited:

Forum List

Back