Higher taxes or cut frivolous spending

Science $20.8 Billion the first year. 4% each year thereafter.
Energy &Enviroment 40.8 Billion. 4% each year thereafter.
International Affairs Keep only enough money to support embassies, cut everything else.
Housing and Community. 61.5 Billion. This is a States issue and should be a budget at the Federal level
Transporation A states issue with the exception of the Interstate Highway system. 70 billion then 4% thereafter
Food and Agri. Unless we are exporting food for profit, cut all of it. 135.7 Billion
Nothing from Veterans benefits. They paid their way.
The Military is the first in this list that is a Constitutionally authorized spending item. Nothing from the Military
The amount paid by the citizens for medicare should not be on this budget but in a lockbox that government cannot touch. The rest can be cut.
The same for SS. The amount paid for SS should not be on any budget but in a lockbox that cannot be touched by government. The rest can be cut.

Total cuts to the budget: 1.168.8 Billion dollars.

Total Budget 2.63 Trillion

I don't think your math adds up.

The concrete things you want to cut are only 393 Billion. I'm surprised you didn't add education onto your list.

Of course, these things can't be "State" level concerns. Take Transportation. The states will just do things that benefit the state, not benefiting interstate commerce. Good luck getting those agri-goods to market if no one is bothering to maintain the roads between states.

Putting Medicare and Social Security into a "lockbox" doesn't mean those expenditures don't still need to happen. If anything, those two ticket items are going to increase as we boomers start retiring in bigger and bigger numbers.

The point was, those monies were converted into bonds and sold to the Feds. Now they have to pay those funds back.

International Affairs Keep only enough money to support embassies, cut everything else.
Housing and Community. 61.5 Billion. This is a States issue and should be a budget at the Federal level
Transporation A states issue with the exception of the Interstate Highway system. 70 billion then 4% thereafter
Food and Agri. Unless we are exporting food for profit, cut all of it. 135.7 Billion
The Military is the first in this list that is a Constitutionally authorized spending item. Nothing from the Military
The amount paid by the citizens for medicare should not be on this budget but in a lockbox that government cannot touch. The rest can be cut.
The same for SS. The amount paid for SS should not be on any budget but in a lockbox that cannot be touched by government. The rest can be cut.

The concrete things you want to cut are only 393 Billion. I'm surprised you didn't add education onto your list.

Of course, these things can't be "State" level concerns. Take Transportation. The states will just do things that benefit the state, not benefiting interstate commerce. Good luck getting those agri-goods to market if no one is bothering to maintain the roads between states.

Putting Medicare and Social Security into a "lockbox" doesn't mean those expenditures don't still need to happen. If anything, those two ticket items are going to increase as we boomers start retiring in bigger and bigger numbers.

The point was, those monies were converted into bonds and sold to the Feds. Now they have to pay those funds back.
you do know that the roads between states are in each state up to the border of the next state don't you?

so there is no "between states"

For example US Rt 1 runs from Key West to Fort Kent Maine. Every point on that road is on a state there is no between states

With the debt the left is forcing on us something has to give. We are either going to HAVE TO raise taxes or cut spending. The answer seems obvious to me but few seem courageous enough to try.

1. Cut foreign aid by 80% or more.
2. Stop funding shrimp on a treadmill type shit.
3. Increase oil production and export it.
4. Put salary caps on politicians.
5. Ban fundraising/money in politics. Require PBS to host and air ALL political debates since we fund them (cut out corporate media money pits)
6. Make ALL government contracts publicly bid. No more giving contracts to your buddies who charge you 80 bucks for a toilet seat.
7. Create a section on irs forms for contributions to go DIRECTLY to our national debt and make that program publicly accessible by anyone via the internet (full transparency)
8. Lock down our southern border and institute strick guidelines for work visas.
9. Cut the budget of ALL federal agencies by at least 5%.
10. Add a balanced budget amendment to the constitution.
11. Require ALL spending bills to be accessible for 7 days & to be publicly read on the floor BEFORE any vote is taken.
12. AFTER all that raise taxes incrementally as needed.

These are just thoughts off the top of my head. Point being that anyone, including our elected officials, can solve this problem if they actually wanted to.
I totally agree with you. In the past, when I was in danger of running short of money, I spent less. It's what all of us do, and collectively, we should do the same.

Re: 8: I think your across-the-board 5% cut of all gov't agencies should be doubled, with little exception.

Re: 4 (oil exports): Under Trump we actually started exporting significant amounts of oil to China!

Re: 10 (balanced budge) The gov't should only spend more than in takes in in times of urgent national crisis, such as a global war, or extreme military or terrorist threat against the US with potential major damage, wide-spread national natural disaster such as an asteroid hitting or super volcano erupting, and perhaps a global pandemic, but a real one, not just another respiratory coronavirus.

PS: Love posts with original thought off the top of people's heads. Great post.

you do know that the roads between states are in each state up to the border of the next state don't you?

For example US Rt 1 runs from Key West to Fort Kent Maine. Every point on that road is on a state there is no between states

Building and maintaining roads and bridges is generally the responsibility of state and local governments. ... Since the early 20th century, however, the federal government has shared the cost of improvements to the core highways and bridges that are most essential to the strength and performance of the nation's economy.

With the debt the left is forcing on us something has to give. We are either going to HAVE TO raise taxes or cut spending. The answer seems obvious to me but few seem courageous enough to try.

5. Ban fundraising/money in politics. Require PBS to host and air ALL political debates since we fund them (cut out corporate media money pits)
6. Make ALL government contracts publicly bid. No more giving contracts to your buddies who charge you 80 bucks for a toilet seat.
7. Create a section on irs forms for contributions to go DIRECTLY to our national debt and make that program publicly accessible by anyone via the internet (full transparency)
8. Lock down our southern border and institute strick guidelines for work visas.
11. Require ALL spending bills to be accessible for 7 days & to be publicly read on the floor BEFORE any vote is taken.

These are just thoughts off the top of my head. Point being that anyone, including our elected officials, can solve this problem if they actually wanted to.

The only thing I don't agree with is number 10 because that will have unintended consequences and we the people will lose.
I too agree in principle. However, 1, 3, and 9 may also have unintended consequences.
On my end the consequences for 1 are intentional. For 3, I am not a fan of fracking. We should nationalize it which would solve a few problems. I listed two programs that if cut might be able to help with cutting 5% off of the rest.
I do not want to push any country into somebody else's sphere, so I don't agree with cutting aid by 80%.
Too late.
I don't believe in paying someone to be friends.
Me either, but it is not about friendship. It is about our influence.
This is about exploitation for multinational corporations.

The US repeatedly fails to hold these other countries accountable for the amount of money that is being spent. Tax dollars should not be handed out for "influence".

In areas (Latin America, Africa) where the Chinese and Russians have "influence" there are things that are being built which help the citizens (electricity, water etc.) and that is driving it. The US doesn't want to be held accountable for the money that they are spending which is specifically for exploitation for corps and then when it's time for a regime change for those same corps you want our own to go fight that battle.

Interesting...essentially, the U.S. still just gives money to...governments right? No accountability no real projects accomplished? In what way is it spent for corporate exploitation? This is a different angle on it, and I'm interested in hearing more.

I know there has been a big issue with corruption when giving money to government entities to then use and it often does not get spent on the people and their needs. Is that the sort of thing your referring to?

When it comes to countries like El Salvadore, Guatamala and Honduras then I want an end date on that shit. Go in to do A, B, C and D. I want to know exactly what the money was spent on down to the last dollar. I want the goals outlined/measurable and I want that to be accomplished by a specific date. And then we are done. We ask nothing less from the money that is spent in the US, right?! That should already have been done and the US citizens should be able to access that information and it should be transparent. No guesswork.

Agree.
How familiar are you with the history of USAID? Not what it says on their pretty little webpage but with the actual history?
Not that mu
Ok. Are you familiar with the "American interests" such as mining companies and oil companies etc that have been operating in places like Central/South America?
no

I cannot for the life of me understand this line of thought, but I saw a remark today and it seems like it would work in a convoluted sort of way. Consider this. The government spends us into tremendous debt to the place that the dollar loses 95% of it's value. The US pays off the debt with deflated dollars and starts over new. Currency manipulation at its best and we may be in the middle of it.

Look, government will spend every last dime if taxes are raised AND go right on borrowing like there's no tomorrow. Raising taxes is DOA as a solution.

I cannot for the life of me understand this line of thought, but I saw a remark today and it seems like it would work in a convoluted sort of way. Consider this. The government spends us into tremendous debt to the place that the dollar loses 95% of it's value. The US pays off the debt with deflated dollars and starts over new. Currency manipulation at its best and we may be in the middle of it.

It's a backdoor government tax on your savings and retirement accounts. Why bother taxing you, just print money devalue the dollar and take your money directly.

It's a backdoor government tax on your savings and retirement accounts. Why bother taxing you, just print money devalue the dollar and take your money directly.
Unless you couch your savings in a stable currency like the Norwegian Krone, Gold or other precious metals.

Read it again.

Building and maintaining roads and bridges is generally the responsibility of state and local governments. ... Since the early 20th century, however, the federal government has shared the cost of improvements to the core highways and bridges that are most essential to the strength and performance of the nation's economy.
Thank you Captain Obvious

Attack China and destroy it's manufacturing base along with Russia and become the world's manufacture base again.
Well instead of going to war, maybe we can continue and expand the policies of Trump, that actually got manufacturing jobs coming back to the United States? U.S. enjoys best manufacturing jobs growth of the last 30 years
U.S. enjoys best manufacturing jobs growth of the last 30 years
Published: Jan. 4, 2019

But Biden and the Dems won't do that, nor would they go to war with China....they are a totally owned subsidiary of the CCP.

Attack China and destroy it's manufacturing base along with Russia and become the world's manufacture base again.
Well instead of going to war, maybe we can continue and expand the policies of Trump, that actually got manufacturing jobs coming back to the United States? U.S. enjoys best manufacturing jobs growth of the last 30 years

But Biden and the Dems won't do that, nor would they go to war with China....they are a totally owned subsidiary of the CCP.

You should look up the history of the interstate highway system and why Eisenhower considered it such a priority.

You know, that dirty stinking liberal commie Eisenhower.

You should look up the history of the interstate highway system and why Eisenhower considered it such a priority.

He was impressed by Hitler doing it.

I know all about it. It was for defense first and public travel second.

and as I said every part of every highway in in a state and that state that the road is in should be responsible for its upkeep.

Pheh...
The debt is caused by the left!!!
The debt is caused by the right!!
Democrats tax and spend!!!
Republicans borrow and spend!!!

FFS - they both race to outspend each other.

Any politicians who cuts spending and increases taxes to pay for debt is committing political suicide and you people know it so there is little chance of it ever happening...The US will die off by becoming broke just like every other super power that has ever existed.

Nothing wrong with liking China...but listen to what he says there, the Chinese leaders are much smarter then Obama was, and certainly Biden....and we know now, it's because they own the Dem party.

Trump was right in that speech, he then became President and our manufacturing jobs came back....the Chinese then interferred in our elections to help Xiden, and boom, they are going to be back in charge of Washington

New Topics

Forum List

Back