High Court Takes up Census case, as other count issues loom

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
A very interesting series of census-related issues coming our way..this decision, to me, is probably going to go the Left's way..although I happen to fall on Trump's side of this argument. Non-citizens should not be counted in the apportionment of legislators. The precedent of allowing the slave states to count slaves for the purposes of representation is likely to come back and haunt us.
The larger picture is the vicious fight looming over how the count was taken..when it was taken..how valid it really is. At stake are a lot of issues from apportionment of funds to Gerrymandering--that are all near and dear to the pols of both sides

President Donald Trump's attempt to exclude people living in the country illegally from the population count used to divvy up congressional seats is headed for a post-Thanksgiving Supreme Court showdown.
The administration's top lawyers are hoping the justices on a court that includes three Trump appointees will embrace the idea, rejected repeatedly by lower courts. It's the latest, and likely the last, Trump administration hard-line approach to immigration issues to reach the high court. Arguments will take place on Monday by telephone because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Even as the justices weigh a bid to remove, for the first time, millions of noncitizens from the population count that determines how many seats each state gets in the House of Representatives as well as the allocation of some federal funding, experts say other issues loom large for the 2020 census as it heads into unchartered territory over deadlines, data quality and politics.
A host of novel questions outside of the court's eventual decision could determine the final product of the nation’s once-a-decade head count, including whether the incoming Biden administration would do anything to try to reverse decisions made under Trump.

Among other questions: Will the Census Bureau be able to meet a year-end deadline for turning in the numbers used for apportionment, the process of dividing up congressional seats among the states? Will the quality of the census data be hurt by a shortened schedule, a pandemic and natural disasters? Could a Democratic-controlled House reject the numbers from the Republican administration if House leaders believe they are flawed? Will a lame-duck Senate pass legislation that could extend deadlines for turning in census numbers?

1606576507377.png

Last edited:
Biden: I Will Immediately Push to Grant Citizenship to 11 Million Illegal Immigrants

"President-elect Joe Biden announced that he plans to move on legislation that would grant citizenship to over 11 million illegal immigrants almost immediately upon entering office.

Biden made the promise during an interview with NBC News Tuesday evening.

“I’m going to make a commitment in the first 100 days, I will send an immigration bill to the United States Senate with a pathway to citizenship for over 11 million undocumented people in America,” Biden said."

Biden: I Will Immediately Push to Grant Citizenship to 11 Million Illegal Immigrants

"President-elect Joe Biden announced that he plans to move on legislation that would grant citizenship to over 11 million illegal immigrants almost immediately upon entering office.

“I’m going to make a commitment in the first 100 days, I will send an immigration bill to the United States Senate with a pathway to citizenship for over 11 million undocumented people in America,” Biden said."
Well..that would make the case moot, right?

We should be solving our immigration issues on a permanent basis. There is no Amendment in our Constitution regarding immigration. Our Constitution is clear. We should have no illegal problem nor any illegal underclass.

The Constitution says count “persons” not “citizens”

It would take an amendment to change it.

No it wouldn't. Congress can just declare illegals Indians or only count 3/5ths of them as "all other persons"

No it wouldn't. Congress can just declare illegals Indians or only count 3/5ths of them as "all other persons"
We actually have an establishment clause for naturalization not immigration every time this issue comes up. The three-fifths clause can work with foreign nationals in the US with a naturalization clause.

Tourism is the first, second, or third largest employer in twenty-nine States.

"Free market" capitalism, what is That sayeth the Right Wing.

free

Free persons! It says "free persons", visitors to JFK do NOT count, neither do Illegals
Free person means non-slave

So you count visitors coming into JFK in the census?
free

Free persons! It says "free persons", visitors to JFK do NOT count, neither do Illegals
Immoral false witness bearers count even less.

So Queens has 60,000,000 "citizens" when you add in people traveling in and out of JFK and LGA. Good to know!
isn't right wing fantasy wonderful. You can Always be Right and have the "gospel Truth" on Your side, simply for being on the right wing.

free

free

So Queens has 60,000,000 "citizens" when you add in people traveling in and out of JFK and LGA. Good to know!
isn't right wing fantasy wonderful. You can Always be Right and have the "gospel Truth" on Your side, simply for being on the right wing.

How many times can you be proven wrong??

free

free

How many times can you be proven wrong??
A lot...your meter is running into 8 figures by now!

Good to see it hasn't slowed ya down any!

The constitution says a lot of things, i don't think they had accounted for migration, tourism, and us actually having a border policy.

When the constitution was made we had land to give away

free

Works for me. Give Queens 493 Reps in Congress and add that number to the NY electoral vote.

A very interesting series of census-related issues coming our way..this decision, to me, is probably going to go the Left's way..although I happen to fall on Trump's side of this argument. Non-citizens should not be counted in the apportionment of legislators. The precedent of allowing the slave states to count slaves for the purposes of representation is likely to come back and haunt us.
The larger picture is the vicious fight looming over how the count was taken..when it was taken..how valid it really is. At stake are a lot of issues from apportionment of funds to Gerrymandering--that are all near and dear to the pols of both sides

President Donald Trump's attempt to exclude people living in the country illegally from the population count used to divvy up congressional seats is headed for a post-Thanksgiving Supreme Court showdown.
The administration's top lawyers are hoping the justices on a court that includes three Trump appointees will embrace the idea, rejected repeatedly by lower courts. It's the latest, and likely the last, Trump administration hard-line approach to immigration issues to reach the high court. Arguments will take place on Monday by telephone because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Even as the justices weigh a bid to remove, for the first time, millions of noncitizens from the population count that determines how many seats each state gets in the House of Representatives as well as the allocation of some federal funding, experts say other issues loom large for the 2020 census as it heads into unchartered territory over deadlines, data quality and politics.
A host of novel questions outside of the court's eventual decision could determine the final product of the nation’s once-a-decade head count, including whether the incoming Biden administration would do anything to try to reverse decisions made under Trump.

Among other questions: Will the Census Bureau be able to meet a year-end deadline for turning in the numbers used for apportionment, the process of dividing up congressional seats among the states? Will the quality of the census data be hurt by a shortened schedule, a pandemic and natural disasters? Could a Democratic-controlled House reject the numbers from the Republican administration if House leaders believe they are flawed? Will a lame-duck Senate pass legislation that could extend deadlines for turning in census numbers?

View attachment 422542

It is a matter of simple English. It says all persons shall be counted. It then states that citizens can vote. They do distinguish between citizens and non-citizens. The House should turn it down and Biden should sign a EO requiring a completion of the census.

New Topics

Forum List

Back