Do believe the United States criminal justice system is corrupt towards ethnic minorities?

• Yes

• No

• I do not know

• I do not care

Results are only viewable after voting.
So you CHOOSE to ignore more whites being killed by police as statistically unimportant. Who resists arrest more, Whites or Blacks? Who is more likely to have an illegal firearm during an arrest? You clearly have/had an agenda prior to doing your "research".

Social science research is often dictate by some form of bias hence why people continue to dispute it. I'd appreciate you suggesting scholarly contributions that argue against.

I do not choose to ignore it as I'm against police brutality overall but my research is surrounding ethnic minorities.

Social science research is often dictate by some form of bias hence why people continue to dispute it. I'd appreciate you suggesting scholarly contributions that argue against.

I do not choose to ignore it as I'm against police brutality overall but my research is surrounding ethnic minorities.

I have a degree that encompasses Social Science among others. You clearly have violated several principles in questionnaire construction. I sincerely doubt you attend a university any where at a post grad level. First your grasp of English is not that good. Second, you would have made your questions more neutral and finally your terminology would be more precise.

Watched a documentary on religious and political dissents in Saudi Arabia on PBS last night. That would be brutality.

I have a degree that encompasses Social Science among others. You clearly have violated several principles in questionnaire construction. I sincerely doubt you attend a university any where at a post grad level. First your grasp of English is not that good. Second, you would have made your questions more neutral and finally your terminology would be more precise.

Education is a learning experience hence why I continue to engage in conversation with people who share opposing views. I am very open to constructive criticism in order to improve.

Your failure to present scholarly contribution supporting your views and insult my education level makes me doubt the value of the social science element of your degree as you do not wish to enlighten me.

If you feel I have violated questionnaire construction principles, used imprecise terminology or misused English in my survey please identify them so they can be amended.

Last edited:
Education is a learning experience hence why I continue to engage in conversation with people who share opposing views. I am very open to constructive criticism in order to improve.

If you feel I have violated questionnaire construction principles, used imprecise terminology or misused English in my survey please identify them so they can be amended.

Social Science degrees involve statistics and questionnaire design here in the US. Why don't you just tell us the truth about your education and interest in the subject in a straightforward and honest reply? It seems you would do yourself a service to study the pitfalls of playing a victim.

Social Science degrees involve statistics and questionnaire design here in the US. Why don't you just tell us the truth about your education and interest in the subject in a straightforward and honest reply? It seems you would do yourself a service to study the pitfalls of playing a victim.

Statistics and questionnaires are open to interpretation.

I have conveyed the truth about my education and interest in the topic. I don't distribute surveys for fun, especially on a platform where people views differ from mine.

I am definitely do not feel victimised in the slightest thankfully due to the fact I am not an ethnic minority in the US. Also I have studied how ethnic minorities play the race card... Nevertheless it would do me no service studying that further for my project.

I have gained some insight from this thread that's increased my interest in the opposing side not often covered in depth in race relations discourse. Thank you all for your contribution

Black Lives Only Matter when a non-black person does the killing...

Don't you think this is because of the history on non-white people dying due to the systematic oppression enacted by often white people?

All lives matter devalues the fact that black people are more likely to be effected and targeted by the criminal justice system. If we believe this is because black people are inherently bad, then what can be done to change this? Enslaving African-Americans again or working to address issues they have such as police brutality and broken communities.

There is a cyclical pattern of blaming African-Americans for their social ills, then not adequately investing in their communities, then blaming them for their social ills again. There is no such things as 'white on white' crime or 'Asian on Asian' crime though they also kill their own. Does this not make you wonder why the term 'black on black' crime was coined? Does it not seem like a way to blame African-Americans for their broken communities? The way discourse is framed in extremely important to how we perceive African-Americans and criminal injustice towards them.
Looks to me like your focus has already determined your results. Very few people actually believe blacks are inherently bad these days and yes, economics does play a partial role but neither economics nor racial bias are complete factors in understanding the problem unless one is looking at it from a purely historical background. You want honest results? Expand your research to include sociological and psychological variables, cultural, sub cultural and perceptual aspects within groups as well as individual normative behavior.

I would love to do this and hope to for a doctoral research project but do not have time time capacity or resources to do so for my postgrad.

My work still has to be based on existing scholarly work which more or less take similar positions. By gathering opinions and views i aim to inject some of these into my research.

Most of the against argument presented in this thread have been covered in my literature review and heavily disputed scholarly. What doesn't match it the wealth of people who have the opinions presented in this thread and the scholarly support to prove these opinions.

I have studied about the reasons people hold opinions presented hear but recent scholarly discourse does not support victim-blaming and tends to explain how structural issues have adverse affect on ethnic minorities crime rates.

I support the predominant scholarly opinion I have presented here simply because of my personal experiences and my community so this conversation thread would not change that. Nevertheless I'm always interested in why people think certain things and wanted to present a variety of opinions in my research even if I do not agree .
Interesting........ By the way, the vast majority of scholarly work has been done in the ivied halls of academia, in most cases ivory towers that contain mirrors instead of windows.

Why are 93% of black homicides committed by blacks?
White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. Aren’t more white people than black people killed by police? Yes, but no.

Also, whites should also be protesting against police killings and brutality.

The black communities resentment of the police stems back decades which has created an us vs them culture.

To your first question, it seems urban areas have a higher number of homicides and Blacks tend to live in that environment. You would have to ask a Black person that has experience in order to gain a better insight.

If I am 500% more likely to have a Black person kill me as a police officer, maybe I am more likely to prepare my defense? Whites are not protesting because...many of us do not feel there is brutality or inappropriate actions being taken by police in white shootings by police. Hiding behind percentages is not scholarly in this case.

Why are blacks more likely to live in urban areas? Why are there likely to be more killings in urban areas? If black people with experience are saying they experience injustice and police brutality why are thousands of people who haven't asked them about their experiences disputing their claims?

And that's a fair response, but creates a cyclical pattern of police brutality and blacks killing cops no?

There's no hiding behind percentages or scholarly contribution in my point, I presented a flaw to the argument "whites are killed more by police". That's the objective fact whether ppl choose to accept or ignore it.

Whites dont complain when whites are killed by the police because we recognize the fact the guy brought it on himself 99% of the time.

Don't you think this is because of the history on non-white people dying due to the systematic oppression enacted by often white people?

All lives matter devalues the fact that black people are more likely to be effected and targeted by the criminal justice system. If we believe this is because black people are inherently bad, then what can be done to change this? Enslaving African-Americans again or working to address issues they have such as police brutality and broken communities.

There is a cyclical pattern of blaming African-Americans for their social ills, then not adequately investing in their communities, then blaming them for their social ills again. There is no such things as 'white on white' crime or 'Asian on Asian' crime though they also kill their own. Does this not make you wonder why the term 'black on black' crime was coined? Does it not seem like a way to blame African-Americans for their broken communities? The way discourse is framed in extremely important to how we perceive African-Americans and criminal injustice towards them.
Looks to me like your focus has already determined your results. Very few people actually believe blacks are inherently bad these days and yes, economics does play a partial role but neither economics nor racial bias are complete factors in understanding the problem unless one is looking at it from a purely historical background. You want honest results? Expand your research to include sociological and psychological variables, cultural, sub cultural and perceptual aspects within groups as well as individual normative behavior.

I would love to do this and hope to for a doctoral research project but do not have time time capacity or resources to do so for my postgrad.

My work still has to be based on existing scholarly work which more or less take similar positions. By gathering opinions and views i aim to inject some of these into my research.

Most of the against argument presented in this thread have been covered in my literature review and heavily disputed scholarly. What doesn't match it the wealth of people who have the opinions presented in this thread and the scholarly support to prove these opinions.

I have studied about the reasons people hold opinions presented hear but recent scholarly discourse does not support victim-blaming and tends to explain how structural issues have adverse affect on ethnic minorities crime rates.

I support the predominant scholarly opinion I have presented here simply because of my personal experiences and my community so this conversation thread would not change that. Nevertheless I'm always interested in why people think certain things and wanted to present a variety of opinions in my research even if I do not agree .
Interesting........ By the way, the vast majority of scholarly work has been done in the ivied halls of academia, in most cases ivory towers that contain mirrors instead of windows.

And that's a pitfall I recognise with academia - it can lose touch with the real world due to the large scale of things to study.

I have conveyed the truth about my education and interest in the topic. I don't distribute surveys for fun, especially on a platform where people views differ from mine.

I am definitely do not feel victimised in the slightest thankfully due to the fact I am not an ethnic minority in the US. Also I have studied how ethnic minorities play the race card... Nevertheless it would do me no service studying that further for my project.

I have gained some insight from this thread that's increased my interest in the opposing side not often covered in depth in race relations discourse. Thank you all for your contribution

Welcome to USMB Stayfly. Glad to have you join us. Hope you'll stick around after you acquire your opinions. There's a LOT of discussion here that would interest you.

Since the Introduction Forum is reserved for "meet and greet" -- I'm moving this thread to Gen Discussion where members will STILL have the opportunity to participate. And if you like -- please take time to start a real intro thread for people to get to know you.

Being from the hard side of sciences --- I'm convinced that too many people are looking for opinions on these matters rather than spending the time to ANALYZE and FORMULATE answers. For me, I recognize this "systemic oppression" to be as much ECONOMIC as it is racial. Any encounter with the law and justice when you are poor -- ends badly. For many reasons.

1) There are too many mistakes made in bringing warrants, arrests, even traffic violations and these take a toll on the limited time and resources when you are struggling to survive. Simple small FINES can seem monumental to folks earning $25,000 a year.

2) MOST time --- the folks who are "oppressed" LOVE the idea of BIG MUSCULAR govt. They look to it as the chief arbiter of everything decent and good. When in reality -- Govt falls far short of excellence in everything they do -- INCLUDING the administration of justice. Although it's a hard sell telling angry people that "this is as good as government gets" -- it IS pretty much true.

3) Once you get "enrolled" in encounters with the Law -- the poor are on a fast ride to having their lives ruined. Can't pay the fines? Can't take time off to appear in court? Don't have proper documentation? Already HAVE a record of OTHER criminal incidences? It all snowballs.

4) I believe --- that if a person is on the edge of existing to begin with -- and a false warrant or arrest is made -- these government agencies should ANSWER for it. Rather than immune from being inept, uncaring, or trying to treat ALL offenders with the same hostile, expensive encounters with the law.

If you look at factors OTHER than race or ethnicity --- as I did above -- you don't NEED to rely on opinion. You can formulate better questions to answer academically and you will be producing more value for those you want to help..

And that's a pitfall I recognise with academia - it can lose touch with the real world due to the large scale of things to study.
The problem is two fold, one has to do with "pet postulations" the second, often tied to the first is the issue of over specialization to the exclusion of other interrelated disciplines. In this model parameters for research are set based on the narrow focus of the specialization, while necessary in some scientific areas is anathema in the realm of the social sciences as many key variables are excluded mostly due to ignorance of those variables but occasionally because the researcher doesn't believe the study requires those variables to derive a substantive conclusion. Micro-focus in the social sciences is best for small group studies when specific (limited, physical) phenomena are explored but useless except as a starting base to investigate large group dynamics.
Draw your conclusions but also realize your conclusions may be (and most likely are) flawed based on the lack of a complete variable inclusion in your research, always a potential problem when others' work is relied on without question.

Welcome to USMB Stayfly. Glad to have you join us. Hope you'll stick around after you acquire your opinions. There's a LOT of discussion here that would interest you.

Since the Introduction Forum is reserved for "meet and greet" -- I'm moving this thread to Gen Discussion where members will STILL have the opportunity to participate. And if you like -- please take time to start a real intro thread for people to get to know you.

Being from the hard side of sciences --- I'm convinced that too many people are looking for opinions on these matters rather than spending the time to ANALYZE and FORMULATE answers. For me, I recognize this "systemic oppression" to be as much ECONOMIC as it is racial. Any encounter with the law and justice when you are poor -- ends badly. For many reasons.

1) There are too many mistakes made in bringing warrants, arrests, even traffic violations and these take a toll on the limited time and resources when you are struggling to survive. Simple small FINES can seem monumental to folks earning $25,000 a year.

2) MOST time --- the folks who are "oppressed" LOVE the idea of BIG MUSCULAR govt. They look to it as the chief arbiter of everything decent and good. When in reality -- Govt falls far short of excellence in everything they do -- INCLUDING the administration of justice. Although it's a hard sell telling angry people that "this is as good as government gets" -- it IS pretty much true.

3) Once you get "enrolled" in encounters with the Law -- the poor are on a fast ride to having their lives ruined. Can't pay the fines? Can't take time off to appear in court? Don't have proper documentation? Already HAVE a record of OTHER criminal incidences? It all snowballs.

4) I believe --- that if a person is on the edge of existing to begin with -- and a false warrant or arrest is made -- these government agencies should ANSWER for it. Rather than immune from being inept, uncaring, or trying to treat ALL offenders with the same hostile, expensive encounters with the law.

If you look at factors OTHER than race or ethnicity --- as I did above -- you don't NEED to rely on opinion. You can formulate better questions to answer academically and you will be producing more value for those you want to help..

Thank you as this is very valuable insight and not an attack on my views.

My research does not aim to rely on opinions as i recognise this can also be misguided or ill-informed, however, i feel it is important to include a variety of views in order to expand beyond literature
I also reference economic factors a lot but i study political science and human rights so have to focus predominantly in that subject area and i have also been asked to narrow my focus a few times :(. Hopefully, i am not discouraged from pursuiting a doctoral project so i can explore more factors..

My research does not aim to rely on opinions as i recognise this can also be misguided or ill-informed, however, i feel it is important to include a variety of views in order to expand beyond literature
I also reference economic factors a lot but i study political science and human rights so have to focus predominantly in that subject area and i have also been asked to narrow my focus a few times :(. Hopefully, i am not discouraged from pursuiting a doctoral project so i can explore more factors..
In relation to this, just as a clarification in case it may have appeared differently, I'm not attacking your views or your research, simply pointing out the common pitfalls inherent in academic research and making sure you're aware of those pitfalls. It can be difficult to separate the experience paradigm from the knowledge paradigm after all we're human and are generally governed by our experiences and emotions even if we don't recognize those biases consciously. Good luck with your endeavors and always remember, Temet nosce.

In relation to this, just as a clarification in case it may have appeared differently, I'm not attacking your views or your research, simply pointing out the common pitfalls inherent in academic research and making sure you're aware of those pitfalls. It can be difficult to separate the experience paradigm from the knowledge paradigm after all we're human and are generally governed by our experiences and emotions even if we don't recognize those biases consciously. Good luck with your endeavors and always remember, Temet nosce.

No I understood and for the most part did not feel attacked by any of the responses as I recognised it was a discussion. I do appreciate the advice you have given me as it's something I have to strongly consider and be aware of if I am trying to produce work to have a positive impact. Thank you for the dialogue :)

No I understood and for the most part did not feel attacked by any of the responses as I recognised it was a discussion. I do appreciate the advice you have given me as it's something I have to strongly consider and be aware of if I am trying to produce work to have a positive impact. Thank you for the dialogue :)
Basically it was a long winded method of saying, don't make the same mistakes most of us have made when we were young. :D

No one is going to spend vast amounts of time researching something they have no passion for. To that point you are clearly motivated. America attempts to provide a justice system that is applied equally. Certainly if law enforcement is arresting a disproportionate number of a minority, or prosecutors are pursuing that group more often, juries find them guilty and judges issuing longer sentences there is a problem bearing study. Are gangs part of the problem? Income? Family structure? Some idiot always wants to suggest genetics. I think a proper study considers many many possibilities, then systematically removes some, settles on the most likely and mentions those they are unable to rule out.

The survey was certainly biased all the way through. Hard to believe that passes for university level work in England.

It doesn't.

You should visit sometime and see what passes for university level work or would you like me to send you past essays to see what does?

Constructive criticism is more helpful than questioning England's academic standards as it provides an opportunity to learn from others, so enlighten me on the bias aspects of the survey so I can amend?

I have been to England romping around with archaeologists. Since others have explained it I'm not going to touch it.

Paying for Your Time: How Charging Inmates Fees Behind Bars May Violate the Excessive Fines Clause

As Court Fees Rise, The Poor Are Paying The Price

Texas Criminal Court Fees are a Tax on Poor Defendants | Prison Legal News

Oklahoma Watch » Series » Prisoners of Debt

Poor offenders pay high price when probation turns on profit

That is difficult under the best of circumstance and it is impossible if the person is low functioning or mentally ill.

Fifty percent of the battle is understanding the system and how it operates in each location. There are entire courses and books and articles (and data collected) written by judges, attorneys, and profs that dispute what you want the information to say. Each stage from entry to exit presents specific issues that need to be addressed.

Forum List

Back