Do believe the United States criminal justice system is corrupt towards ethnic minorities?

• Yes

• No

• I do not know

• I do not care

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stayfly

Rookie
Jul 12, 2016
I am a postgrad student who is currently undertaking a researching how corruption affects African-Americans in the criminal justice system. During the course of my undergraduate degree i became intrested in social injustice directed at ethnic minorities and studying human rights has further expanded this interest.

Like many others the BlackLivesMatter movement has caught my attention for various reason. I have read extensively on the Black Freedom movement since slavery to the recent protests ignited by the killing of Trayvon Martin. The killing of Alton Sterling and Philando Castille has again made this topic extreme relevant and important to address. I would now love the opportunity to learn a mixture of opinions and positions on this topic to contribute towards my research.

Can i please ask you to spare 3 minutes to fill out my survey for my research project. The aim of this survey is to gather and highlight some of the general views about corruption and racial inustice in order to include racial discrimination into the scholarly dialogue of corruption.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/RH9XXJD

All views and opinions, whether favorable or adverse, are welcomed as this is platform to explore the variety of opinions and not just the mainstream opinions.

Use this thread to post some of your thoughts and views, as it will also be a useful contribution towards my research.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Thank you in advance.

Criminal justice is handled by the states individually--for the most part, so the category is too broad. Further, there are different.....sections of it, again it is too broad.

Criminal justice is handled by the states individually--for the most part, so the category is too broad. Further, there are different.....sections of it, again it is too broad.

Thank you for drawing this to my attention as though i have mentioned this in my research i think it is worth emphasising further the variety the criminal justice system has in the U.S. which could possibly pose problems in addressing corruption in the criminal justice system.

In my research have focused on 3 case studies: Trayvon Martin, Sandra Bland, and Michael Brown and the Ferguson riots. In these case studies i have outlined and examined corrupt activities that took place to led to racial injustice. In the Trayvon Martin case i have highlighted that the "stand your ground" laws are enacted in 21 states so this may not effects other states, nevertheless, the feeling that certain laws do not guarantee protection for African-Americans or ethnic minorities is general across the US.

Unfortunately, the system is not about feelings. If your probation and/or parole are privatized then your outcomes are different. However, those are only privatized in certain states.

If you live in a state that nails people with a plethora of fines then those outcomes are different. Specifically related to repeat bench warrants.

If you live in a state that has defunded or made huge cuts for public defenders then your outcomes will be different.

Finally, Carcieri. There appears to be the pretense of "ethnic minorities" in play.

Unfortunately, the system is not about feelings. If your probation and/or parole are privatized then your outcomes are different. However, those are only privatized in certain states.

If you live in a state that nails people with a plethora of fines then those outcomes are different. Specifically related to repeat bench warrants.

If you live in a state that has defunded or made huge cuts for public defenders then your outcomes will be different.

Finally, Carcieri. There appears to be the pretense of "ethnic minorities" in play.

This is a valuable insight as economic factors do have a major part to play within the criminal justice system. Do you think the privatisation of elements of the system breeds more corrupt activities towards ethnic minorities, such as the requirement to meet arrest targets therefore targeting marginalized groups?

Black Lives Only Matter when a non-black person does the killing...

Don't you think this is because of the history on non-white people dying due to the systematic oppression enacted by often white people?

All lives matter devalues the fact that black people are more likely to be effected and targeted by the criminal justice system. If we believe this is because black people are inherently bad, then what can be done to change this? Enslaving African-Americans again or working to address issues they have such as police brutality and broken communities.

There is a cyclical pattern of blaming African-Americans for their social ills, then not adequately investing in their communities, then blaming them for their social ills again. There is no such things as 'white on white' crime or 'Asian on Asian' crime though they also kill their own. Does this not make you wonder why the term 'black on black' crime was coined? Does it not seem like a way to blame African-Americans for their broken communities? The way discourse is framed in extremely important to how we perceive African-Americans and criminal injustice towards them.

Maybe you should have studied felony backgrounds too? Sounds like chicken and egg to me.

Don't you think this is because of the history on non-white people dying due to the systematic oppression enacted by often white people?

All lives matter devalues the fact that black people are more likely to be effected and targeted by the criminal justice system. If we believe this is because black people are inherently bad, then what can be done to change this? Enslaving African-Americans again or working to address issues they have such as police brutality and broken communities.

There is a cyclical pattern of blaming African-Americans for their social ills, then not adequately investing in their communities, then blaming them for their social ills again. There is no such things as 'white on white' crime or 'Asian on Asian' crime though they also kill their own. Does this not make you wonder why the term 'black on black' crime was coined? Does it not seem like a way to blame African-Americans for their broken communities? The way discourse is framed in extremely important to how we perceive African-Americans and criminal injustice towards them.
Looks to me like your focus has already determined your results. Very few people actually believe blacks are inherently bad these days and yes, economics does play a partial role but neither economics nor racial bias are complete factors in understanding the problem unless one is looking at it from a purely historical background. You want honest results? Expand your research to include sociological and psychological variables, cultural, sub cultural and perceptual aspects within groups as well as individual normative behavior.

The survey was certainly biased all the way through. Hard to believe that passes for university level work in England.

This is a valuable insight as economic factors do have a major part to play within the criminal justice system. Do you think the privatisation of elements of the system breeds more corrupt activities towards ethnic minorities, such as the requirement to meet arrest targets therefore targeting marginalized groups?

No. You don't have a case.

93% of Black homicides are committed by Blacks. Police kill twice the number of Whites than Blacks. Blacks are five times more likely to kill a police officer. If you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Looks to me like your focus has already determined your results. Very few people actually believe blacks are inherently bad these days and yes, economics does play a partial role but neither economics nor racial bias are complete factors in understanding the problem unless one is looking at it from a purely historical background. You want honest results? Expand your research to include sociological and psychological variables, cultural, sub cultural and perceptual aspects within groups as well as individual normative behavior.

I would love to do this and hope to for a doctoral research project but do not have time time capacity or resources to do so for my postgrad.

My work still has to be based on existing scholarly work which more or less take similar positions. By gathering opinions and views i aim to inject some of these into my research.

Most of the against argument presented in this thread have been covered in my literature review and heavily disputed scholarly. What doesn't match it the wealth of people who have the opinions presented in this thread and the scholarly support to prove these opinions.

I have studied about the reasons people hold opinions presented hear but recent scholarly discourse does not support victim-blaming and tends to explain how structural issues have adverse affect on ethnic minorities crime rates.

I support the predominant scholarly opinion I have presented here simply because of my personal experiences and my community so this conversation thread would not change that. Nevertheless I'm always interested in why people think certain things and wanted to present a variety of opinions in my research even if I do not agree .

The survey was certainly biased all the way through. Hard to believe that passes for university level work in England.

It doesn't.

You should visit sometime and see what passes for university level work or would you like me to send you past essays to see what does?

Constructive criticism is more helpful than questioning England's academic standards as it provides an opportunity to learn from others, so enlighten me on the bias aspects of the survey so I can amend?

93% of Black homicides are committed by Blacks. Police kill twice the number of Whites than Blacks. Blacks are five times more likely to kill a police officer. If you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Why are 93% of black homicides committed by blacks?
White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. Aren’t more white people than black people killed by police? Yes, but no.

Also, whites should also be protesting against police killings and brutality.

The black communities resentment of the police stems back decades which has created an us vs them culture.

White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. Aren’t more white people than black people killed by police? Yes, but no.

The black communities resentment of the police stems back decades which has created an us vs them culture.

To your first question, it seems urban areas have a higher number of homicides and Blacks tend to live in that environment. You would have to ask a Black person that has experience in order to gain a better insight.

If I am 500% more likely to have a Black person kill me as a police officer, maybe I am more likely to prepare my defense? Whites are not protesting because...many of us do not feel there is brutality or inappropriate actions being taken by police in white shootings by police. Hiding behind percentages is not scholarly in this case.

To your first question, it seems urban areas have a higher number of homicides and Blacks tend to live in that environment. You would have to ask a Black person that has experience in order to gain a better insight.

If I am 500% more likely to have a Black person kill me as a police officer, maybe I am more likely to prepare my defense? Whites are not protesting because...many of us do not feel there is brutality or inappropriate actions being taken by police in white shootings by police. Hiding behind percentages is not scholarly in this case.

Why are blacks more likely to live in urban areas? Why are there likely to be more killings in urban areas? If black people with experience are saying they experience injustice and police brutality why are thousands of people who haven't asked them about their experiences disputing their claims?

And that's a fair response, but creates a cyclical pattern of police brutality and blacks killing cops no?

There's no hiding behind percentages or scholarly contribution in my point, I presented a flaw to the argument "whites are killed more by police". That's the objective fact whether ppl choose to accept or ignore it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back