Hey, Cons - Name a Dem Who Corresponds to Karl Rove. Betcha Can't Do It!

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
This thread about Karl Rove (he got shouted down at a book signing) got me thinking about something. Check this out:

Both sides like to accuse the other side of doing the same thing they are being accused of doing. To a certain extent, that is true almost universally. But it isn't necessarily equal on both sides. In some areas, there is a huge disparity.

It is my observation that Republicans are generally much better at campaigning and in winning elections than are Democrats. I have heard it said that Republicans are very good at winning elections but not very good at governing. That latter business is not the topic of this thread , but the former part is. Republicans just seem to be much better at going for the throat and not giving up. Us Dems don't seem to like to go for the throat to begin with and as far as giving up is concerned, more often than not, we never even get started.

Which brings me around to Karl Rove. Rove is a master political strategist if you don't care about fairness, ethical principles or playing by the rules. He flat gets things done for the Republican party. But his methods are, shall we say, suspect? I'm not going to waste a lot of space being critical of Rove in the OP - there will be time for that later (heh, heh).

So here's my question for the cons: You like to claim Dems do it (whatever) as much as you do. OK. Name someone (anyone) on the Democratic side of the ledger, who corresponds to Karl Rove. Who do the Democrats have who, year after year, decade after decade (and that's the critical distinction), using all kinds of dirty tricks, enables the Dems to win elections and destroy opponents, as Rove does for the Republicans?

Naming someone who made the news on one occasion for doing something nasty won't cut it. I want someone who has hung in there for decades as "Mr. Dirty Tricks" for the Dems, as Rove has unquestionably done for the Republicans.

Gentlemen (and ladies), start your engines . . .

Last edited:
I hope the Dems never have anybody like Karl Rove. I'm sure you have heard of Rove's playbook. There is a document about it that you just have to read. This man is an absolute snake.

This article identifies the fifteen tactics that comprise the Rovian campaign strategy.
The discussion of each of these tactics consists of the following three sections:
 Describing the Rove campaign tactic
 Illustrating the use of these campaign tactics in the Bush campaigns
 Identifying Strategic Responses that counter these campaign tactics
The Rovian Playbook: Campaign Tactics
Tactic #

http://www.webster.edu/medialiteracy/journal/FINALKARLROVE.pdf

This thread about Karl Rove (he got shouted down at a book signing) got me thinking about something. Check this out:

Both sides like to accuse the other side of doing the same thing they are being accused of doing. To a certain extent, that is true almost universally. But it isn't necessarily equal on both sides. In some areas, there is a huge disparity.

It is my observation that Republicans are generally much better at campaigning and in winning elections than are Democrats. I have heard it said that Republicans are very good at winning elections but not very good at governing. That latter business is not the topic of this thread , but the former part is. Republicans just seem to be much better at going for the throat and not giving up. Us Dems don't seem to like to go for the throat to begin with and as far as giving up is concerned, more often than not, we never even get started.

Which brings me around to Karl Rove. Rove is a master political strategist if you don't care about fairness, ethical principles or playing by the rules. He flat gets things done for the Republican party. But his methods are, shall we say, suspect? I'm not going to waste a lot of space being critical of Rove in the OP - there will be time for that later (heh, heh).

So here's my question for the cons: You like to claim Dems do it (whatever) as much as you do. OK. Name someone (anyone) on the Democratic side of the ledger, who corresponds to Karl Rove. Who do the Democrats have who, year after year, decade after decade (and that's the critical distinction), using all kinds of dirty tricks, enables the Dems to win elections and destroy opponents, as Rove does for the Republicans?

Naming someone who made the news on one occasion for doing something nasty won't cut it. I want someone who has hung in there for decades as "Mr. Dirty Tricks" for the Dems, as Rove has unquestionably done for the Republicans.

Gentlemen (and ladies), start your engines . . .

This is too easy, the Democrats do not have anyone who can hang with Karl, their too emotional, they generally lack real leadership qualities.....

The real question is, how can anyone get lower on the moral ladder than Obama and Emmanuel, your barking up the wrong tree.....but hey, knock yourself out, we will take care of this in November.....

This is too easy, the Democrats do not have anyone who can hang with Karl, their too emotional, they generally lack real leadership qualities.....

The real question is, how can anyone get lower on the moral ladder than Obama and Emmanuel, your barking up the wrong tree.....but hey, knock yourself out, we will take care of this in November.....

I'm not sure I would equate "real leadership qualities" with Karl Rove.

Let me make sure I have this right. You are claiming that President Obama and White House Chief of Staff Emmanuel are "lower on the moral ladder" than Karl Rove? I would REALLY like to hear your basis for that one.

Just because a sitting President enacts policies that you disagree with does not mean that he is immoral. Take a look at the link in Rinata's post just above yours. THAT is immorality. Can you cite any such activity on the part of either President Obama or Chief of Staff Emmanuel?

Let me make sure I have this right. You are claiming that President Obama and White House Chief of Staff Emmanuel are "lower on the moral ladder" than Karl Rove? I would REALLY like to hear your basis for that one.

Just because a sitting President enacts policies that you disagree with does not mean that he is immoral. Take a look at the link in Rinata's post just above yours. THAT is immorality. Can you cite any such activity on the part of either President Obama or Chief of Staff Emmanuel?
Remember Governor Blagojevich, the guy who tried to sell Obama's old Senate Seat? Rahm Emanuel was the middle-man.

HuffPo: Rahm Emanuel Gave Blagojevich List Of 'Acceptable' Senate Candidates: Report

Anyone who knew Rahm before the 2008 election knows the guy is a snake.

Last edited:
!+David+Plouffe+Campaign+leader+Obama+Photo+Hasse+Ferrold+1.jpg

I'd say David Plouffe did a bang-up job.

He did - but without the dirty tricks.

David Plouffe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm looking for a real snake on the left.

One of his tactics is to criticize the opponent's strengths, not their weaknesses. Then the opponent won't want to talk about their strengths.

So he wants the public to have wrong information. That's how I see it.

Remember Governor Blagojevich, the guy who tried to sell Obama's old Senate Seat? Rahm Emanuel was the middle-man.

HuffPo: Rahm Emanuel Gave Blagojevich List Of 'Acceptable' Senate Candidates: Report

Anyone who knew Rahm Emmanuel before the 2008 election knows the guy is a snake.

OK - but Rahm Emmanuel is a politician, not a king maker. Again - can you suggest a political strategist on the left that compares to Karl Rove. Remember, it's not a good thing for us Dems if you can. I don't view Rove as anything except dirty linen in the Republican hamper.

One of his tactics is to criticize the opponent's strengths, not their weaknesses. Then the opponent won't want to talk about their strengths.

So he wants the public to have wrong information. That's how I see it.

In 1986, while working for Texas Republican gubernatorial hopeful William Clements, Rove claimed that his personal office had been bugged, most likely by the campaign of incumbent Democratic Gov. Mark White. Nothing was proved, but the negative press, weeks before the election, helped Rove's man win a narrow victory. FBI agent Greg Rampton removed the bug, disrupting any attempt to properly investigate who planted it.

Subsequent investigation revealed that the bug was most likely planted by - you guessed it.

I'm not sure I would equate "real leadership qualities" with Karl Rove.

Here's one instance:

Newsvine - White House admits: We 'control' news media

And here's another:

CNSNews.com - Helen Thomas: Not Even Nixon Tried to Control the Media Like Obama

This admininstration has continually used deceit--& underhanded dealings to "control" the American public--via the media and the questions they are allowed to ask.

When Helen Thomas the most liberal White House Journalist--whose been there for decades complains about the "secrecy" of a liberal administration--you know there's something NOT RIGHT.

Here's one instance:

Newsvine - White House admits: We 'control' news media

And here's another:

CNSNews.com - Helen Thomas: Not Even Nixon Tried to Control the Media Like Obama

This admininstration has continually used deceit--& underhanded dealings to "control" the American public--via the media and the questions they are allowed to ask.

When Helen Thomas the most liberal White House Journalist--whose been there for decades complains about the "secrecy" of a liberal administration--you know there's something NOT RIGHT.

Efforts by a sitting administration to control what gets released to the media is (1) something that every administration has done since time immemorial and (2) not what I was asking for in the OP.

See if you can come up with a behind the scenes, snake in the grass, who uses dirty tricks for the Democrats during election time to defeat Republicans.

Republicans are really awful people. They supported a president who lied us into a disastrous war and their terrible polices bankrupted our country. Worse, they try to blame it on the current president who they want to fail. They're monsters.

Thank God it's a shrinking party of mostly older uneducated white people. Oh, I'm sorry, I mean violent white people.

8 years of lies and horrendous management of this country and they want to "finish the job". What could that even mean? To use one of their words, "Armageddon".

Forum List

Back