Heroes

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Another statue thread. This is obviously a divisive issue.

Which Americans do you think could have statues without being divisive ?

I suspect that this would rule out most politicians but you should be able to come up with a decent list.

Here are a few suggestions from a distance -

Mark Twain
Damon Runyon
Elliott Ness
Johnny Cash
Smokey Robinson
Oliver Hardy
Jesse Owens

I suspect that this would rule out most politicians but you should be able to come up with a decent list.

Mark Twain
Damon Runyon
Elliott Ness
Johnny Cash
Smokey Robinson
Oliver Hardy
Jesse Owens

It's not a divisive issue. The vast majority of Americans have no issues with statues, only fringe left snowflakes do.

Mark Twain
Damon Runyon
Elliott Ness
Johnny Cash
Smokey Robinson
Oliver Hardy
Jesse Owens

It's not a divisive issue. The vast majority of Americans have no issues with statues, only fringe left snowflakes do.
The evidence suggests that it is a divisive issue.

thing is , i just saw an article this morning , just read the headline but i think it said that the 'brit' statues of brit heros are now being gone after Tommy , is that true ??

i think that you 'british' lefties want to tear down 'lord nelsons column' eh Tommy .

Any of them who didn't openly stand for oppression of their fellow US of A countrymen and who weren't leaders of and collaborators in an insurrection against the US of A. I'd be willing to give most -- maybe all, though I'm not yet committing to that -- former presidents a "pass" simply on account of their holding the office of president.

I realize that none or few of America's long dead leaders is/are without stain as goes matters of race. Of them, putting up statues to the best of them is acceptable. Erecting statues to any of them is also somewhat acceptable for one and only one reason: for whatever despicable jackasses they may have been, they were the U.S.' jackasses, much the same as John Lackland was at least England's jackass. The leaders of the Confederate States of America were a different nation's jackasses, a nation that fought against the United States of America, and they don't, as such, deserve honors in and on the property of the U.S. government and its component/subordinate governments, other than museums, battlefields and other explicit designated/purposed Civil War historical sites and venues.

There simply is no way I'm ever going to cotton to the notion and act of exalting men who brazenly embraced and ideas that reflect the very worst of what Americans have ever been.

Any of them who didn't openly stand for oppression of their fellow US of A countrymen and who weren't leaders of and collaborators in an insurrection against the US of A. I'd be willing to give most -- maybe all, though I'm not yet committing to that -- former presidents a "pass" simply on account of their holding the office of president.

I realize that none or few of America's long dead leaders is/are without stain as goes matters of race. Of them, putting up statues to the best of them is acceptable. Erecting statues to any of them is also somewhat acceptable for one and only one reason: for whatever despicable jackasses they may have been, they were the U.S.' jackasses, much the same as John Lackland was at least England's jackass. The leaders of the Confederate States of America were a different nation's jackasses, a nation that fought against the United States of America, and they don't, as such, deserve honors in and on the property of the U.S. government and its component/subordinate governments, other than museums, battlefields and other explicit designated/purposed Civil War historical sites and venues.

There simply is no way I'm ever going to cotton to the notion and act of exalting men who brazenly embraced and ideas that reflect the very worst of what Americans have ever been.
Monuments can be a bugger to get right. If you get the chance to visit Rome you will see spectacular marble busts of people who were psychopaths.
In my country this year we had the unfortunate incident of the ring of steel. A statue that celebrated our conquest. It has now been shelved.

‘Ring of steel’ sculpture is insulting to Wales

The UK as a whole has a problem in finding people who have clean hands. Which is why I think we need to look outside the political sphere to celebrate the best of us.

Better have a monument to miners than some General with blood on his hands.

just pointing out that the lefties and imported enemies of Western civilization are also going after you guys Tommy .

Mark Twain
Damon Runyon
Elliott Ness
Johnny Cash
Smokey Robinson
Oliver Hardy
Jesse Owens

By paid protesters? Lol, you're an idiot.

and , i hate to see it but the 'welsh' , english and most 'euros' are going to make excellent 'dhimmis' . -------------- just an observation , makes me sad to see what the welsh and english and most 'euros' have become Tommy .

Monuments can be a bugger to get right. If you get the chance to visit Rome you will see spectacular marble busts of people who were psychopaths.
In my country this year we had the unfortunate incident of the ring of steel. A statue that celebrated our conquest. It has now been shelved.

The UK as a whole has a problem in finding people who have clean hands. Which is why I think we need to look outside the political sphere to celebrate the best of us.

Harry Truman, and Jesse Owens in sports stadiums. He shamed the 'master race'.

Monuments can be a bugger to get right.

Well, yes. LOL That's part of why I refrained from naming specific individuals.

If you get the chance to visit Rome you will see spectacular marble busts of people who were psychopaths.

I have. They sure do. However, as I noted before, those pricks are among Romes pantheon of pricks and not, for the most part, the psychopaths who wrought the fall of the Western Empire.

Note:
The Roman example is probably not one I'd use as emblematic of anything re: statues and this line of discussion. Rome was a city, but Rome was also an empire of two halves. Then there's the Roman Catholic Church aspect playing into things. The point being that no nation, other than perhaps Greece and Egypt, maybe India, Iran/Iraq/Persia, has quite the type of history Rome does.

China might be a better analogue for the U.S. in that it's seen its share of revolts and insurrections, but it's essentially "always" been the same culture that's merely evolved over time for as long as it has existed. For instance, China had the An Shi Rebellion that spanned the rule of multiple emperors; however, there probably aren't any currently open wounds remaining from that rebellion. The same cannot be said of the Confederate revolt against the U.S. So perhaps 1000 years from now, or maybe even 500, we can re-erect a Confederate statue here or there, but now is not the right time for them.​

I think we need to look outside the political sphere to celebrate the best of us.

Well, that's a good idea. After all, I can't recall any of the nations best ideas, the ones that reflect the best that we are and can do and be, as having come from political leaders. Sure, some politicians have had some good ideas, but I think the majority of the best ones have come from poets, artists, scientists, inventors, doctors, authors, and so on.

Mark Twain
Damon Runyon
Elliott Ness
Johnny Cash
Smokey Robinson
Oliver Hardy
Jesse Owens

Well the statues are coming down by the order of elected officials. Perhaps you need to consider that.

Mark Twain
Damon Runyon
Elliott Ness
Johnny Cash
Smokey Robinson
Oliver Hardy
Jesse Owens

Well the statues are coming down by the order of elected officials. Perhaps you need to consider that.
20841081_10207791233097962_6487565717980679550_n.jpg

Mark Twain
Damon Runyon
Elliott Ness
Johnny Cash
Smokey Robinson
Oliver Hardy
Jesse Owens

20882119_1547797808575752_6825468243363568688_n.jpg

Monuments can be a bugger to get right.

Well, yes. LOL That's part of why I refrained from naming specific individuals.

If you get the chance to visit Rome you will see spectacular marble busts of people who were psychopaths.

I have. They sure do. However, as I noted before, those pricks are among Romes pantheon of pricks and not, for the most part, the psychopaths who wrought the fall of the Western Empire.

Note:
The Roman example is probably not one I'd use as emblematic of anything re: statues and this line of discussion. Rome was a city, but Rome was also an empire of two halves. Then there's the Roman Catholic Church aspect playing into things. The point being that no nation, other than perhaps Greece and Egypt, has quite the type of history Rome does.

China might be a better analogue for the U.S. in that it's seen its share of revolts and insurrections, but it's essentially "always" been the same culture that's merely evolved over time for as long as it has existed. For instance, China had the An Shi Rebellion that spanned the rule of multiple emperors; however, there probably aren't any currently open wounds remaining from that rebellion. The same cannot be said of the Confederate revolt against the U.S. So perhaps 1000 years from now, or maybe even 500, we can re-erect a Confederate statue here or there, but now is not the right time for them.​

I think we need to look outside the political sphere to celebrate the best of us.

Well, that's a good idea. After all, I can't recall any of the nations best ideas, the ones that reflect the best that we are and can do and be, as having come from political leaders. Sure, some politicians have had some good ideas, but I think the majority of the best ones have come from poets, artists, scientists, inventors, doctors, authors, and so on.
The UK is not much different to the US in that some dusty old general will get a statue for slaughtering a load of unarmed "darkies". It was "of the time" but is no longer relevant. A pub in my town is named after Elihu Yale who was a slave owner but born in our town. It will be renamed in the next few years.

Mark Twain
Damon Runyon
Elliott Ness
Johnny Cash
Smokey Robinson
Oliver Hardy
Jesse Owens

View attachment 145677
Is that an anti Jewish stance ?

Forum List

Back